• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books or cartoons?

For years I've had several ideas that might make for great cartoon shows at the same time I'm afraid of selling them to a studio. I've seen plenty of TV shows where a character sold an idea for a TV show only to have it mutilated by controlling producers and studio executives who seemed determined to make it as dumb and stupid as possible. And I'm terrified that if I do sell my idea they will inevitably snatch all control away from me, possibly fire me from the project altogether, give it to other writers and destroy it in the name of profit.

On the other hand I think these ideas could make me a big success and I'd hate to deprive the world of something so wonderful. I've thought about writing them as books but I don't know if prose can really do them justice has a lot of the humour is visual.

What are TV people really like? Are they the sociopathic monsters that they are constantly portrayed as? Would I have any control over it once I sell it to them? Would they let me write the episodes? And how do I go about selling an idea for a cartoon show anyway?

Reaver

Staff
My advice is to contact an entertainment lawyer. As luck would have it, one of our esteemed members has vast experience in this field. Contact me via PM and I'll tell you who it is.