• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

TED - On new words

Arranah

Troubadour
What's in the dictionary is just a history of words that have been used, be they good or stupid sounding. My first ongoing experience with this came through my husband. He loves to play with words. He reverses the letters, makes up new words entirely, all the while mixing in words from foreign languages, so I never really know what is what. It doesn't matter really. The mind needs stimulating, at least mine does. Sometimes it's fun to play with creating new words. I've noticed people do that with naming their children. Sometimes when I hear a kid's name, I think their parents must have hated them...from the beginning. Now, if I give my dog a bizarre name, she/he doesn't realize it. He/she just likes that I'm paying attention to him/her. If my tone is loving and kind, then my pet is fine with whatever I say.

Words are the tools of our trade. Why not come up with something creative and see if it is accepted? It could be fun to see how long something lasts. Fantasy extends to all levels. I've been fantasizing since infancy.