• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shout Outs and Banter

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Do you have something pointless you want to say, or to give a shout out to another member for consistently helping you out?

Here's a place for the off-topic banter that you want to say but are afraid would derail a more productive thread.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Saw this today on HBR. It's a little too poignant.

2-janfeb14-sh-bob-eckstein-web.jpg

I have a question, there are so many British television shows that we Americans love to watch on BBC America and PBS. So to all you British people out there, Are there any American movies or tv shows that you like to watch?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I have a question, there are so many British television shows that we Americans love to watch on BBC America and PBS. So to all you British people out there, Are there any American movies or tv shows that you like to watch?
Oodles... There used to be a lot more out there but police procedurals are still a draw for me. Currently I am enjoying Chicago PD and the original CSI:Vegas.
Also anything cleverly written, I am eagerly waiting for season 2of The Newsroom to get here on DVD... [if it has written or created by Aaron Sorkin in the credits I'm probably going to be a fan]. American writing is usually faster paced and tighter written when its good. You got more in one ep of The West Wing than you did in a series of In the Thick of it... I've given up on Doctor Who because I think it is incredibly lazily written. Too many swelling cords, running about and meaningful looks but little actual plot... others may disagree...:rolleyes:
I do watch other programs like The 100 and Revolution but I think of them more as comedies... I know that aren't Ha-Ha funny but they make me laugh... I don't have access to most of the US shows released here as I don't have a Cable/Satellite TV package. I have enough reasons not to write, exercise, talk to people, go out of doors without adding 100 channels more...
Orphan Black is good too, but isn't that Canadian?

The last film I really liked that was American as 42 - a biopic about Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson. All the acting is good [especially Alan Tudyk] but Harrison Ford is almost unrecognisable as the Brooklyn Dodgers' Manager Branch Rickey.

Last edited:

teacup

Auror

Most of what I watch is American, really.

Supernatural
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Firefly
Fringe
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
There's probably more but those are the big ones.

If you're watching British tv shows, I'll recommend a few.
For comedy, IT Crowd or The Mighty Boosh(this is weird, probably not for everyone, but I love it. Give it a chance.)
Otherwise, Utopia is a brilliant series but I don't think it's available in America (except maybe sites that aren't legit), but if you find it, it's a must watch. Doctor Who I suppose is the big one that Americans watch (right?) It's gone a bit downhill lately imo but the Tennant era was mostly great.

teacup

Auror
Shoutout?

A. E. Lowan. She critiqued one of my chapters once and we got to talking and ended up critiquing each others chapters and helping each other out, and wow, I don't know where I'd be without her. We talk all the time now and she's a great friend who helps me all the time. I'm very glad to have met her on here. This really is a great community, here.

If you're watching British tv shows, I'll recommend a few.
For comedy, IT Crowd or The Mighty Boosh(this is weird, probably not for everyone, but I love it. Give it a chance.)
Otherwise, Utopia is a brilliant series but I don't think it's available in America (except maybe sites that aren't legit), but if you find it, it's a must watch. Doctor Who I suppose is the big one that Americans watch (right?) It's gone a bit downhill lately imo but the Tennant era was mostly great.

yes I think I've seen some of Utopia maybe and I've seen advertisements for the IT Crowd. and I do watch Dr. Who as well as Sherlock, Rosemary and Thyme, and Downton Abby. :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Shout out to the "Blitzers" (as I'm calling them) who are kicking major ass in the current Writing Prompt Blitz-o-Rama. You know who you all are! :D

SeverinR

Vala
The shout out for British tv, American tv,
I send one out to the Canadian tv shows: Rookie Blue and Flashpoint.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Rookie Blue is a good one. There was another Canadian show I was into before Rookie Blue starter, but I can't remember the name now.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Shout-out to Legendary Sidekick, Steerpike, and everyone else involved in the Dragon's Egg and Flat Earth RPs. It's been a lot of fun so far. Here's to a lot more fun in the future!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'll have to make an announcement next week that Flat Earth is coming back in September.

Taking a vacation did help, though. I'm FINALLY getting my writing in order!

Shout out to you as well, Ireth, for playing so many characters in both games. (+1 more in FE episode 4 or 5, depending when the party gets to the island.)

I have to say, I am really confused on what flat earth and dragons egg are. I know they are roleplays but how do you roleplay in them?

ah. yes I have heard of d&d. I don't have it although I wish I did. I probably wouldn't have time now though since school is starting. thanks Ireth. :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
What Ireth said is pretty accurate. Flat Earth is more of a simplified D&D-ish game and a writing exercise combined, or at least that's what I'm picturing for future episodes. Some players were getting creative in a way that's not legal in D&D, and I thought since I'm making up the rules anyway, why not just design the game to allow creativity.

Maybe I need to give up a day to clean up the Flat Earth forum by deleting obsolete threads and editing the class thread, in case new players join. I'll try to stick to updating the game 3 times a week, at least for turn-based action.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
ah. yes I have heard of d&d. I don't have it although I wish I did. I probably wouldn't have time now though since school is starting. thanks Ireth. :)

I'm familiar with it - have read a couple books, have played the old Baldur's Gate video games - but I've never actually played, though I've wanted to.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Neither of the games are actually D&D. Dragon's Egg is on a system that's like D&D, but watered down to something like fifteen pages, and all of the info is available in the posts. And I'm not really sure I understand Flat Earth's system?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The first two episodes were pretty much D&D-ish, but with just a d20. You needed a certain roll, and if you hit, the number on the die determined the strength of your attack: <10 = weak, 10-15 = normal, 16-19 = strong, 20 = max.

A few players starting making posts that assumed they hit, and one would even drop his weapon if he rolled a 1. So I thought I'd try something like I did in "Quest of the Week," which was to let the player write what happens based on favorable/unfavorable die rolls. The slight difference will be that you can only hit (or get hit by) enemies you can see on the "map," and only my GM post can confirm a kill/KO/damage. If you go over your character's limits by hitting five guys with your sword, the GM post might say you might grazed 3 or 4 and hit the other(s) harmlessly with the flat of your blade.

Players seemed receptive to the idea of rolling success/fail/neither ("neutral"). Next month, we'll know if it was a good change or not. I don't mind taking a risk, as long as the players are willing to go along with it.

Honestly, I like the idea of using an existing system like SP, but he's already running the ultimate D&D game on this site. Mine's more like a collaborative weird cartoon.

Oh, and I realize it's C&C (Castles & Crusades). While the rules have been simplified and home-brewed, I think the level of complexity is right for the game he's running, and the way he's running it. I got to work with him on ideas as to what a valkyrie can do, and when I dual classed as a barbarian-monk, he asked me what I think a grapple attack should be able to do. He then found a web-page that had a detailed list of how grapple attacks should work, which basically echoed my list plus stuff I hadn't thought of. I know other characters enjoyed a bit of customization, and other players besides me went outside class norms—the result being interesting characters.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Honestly, I like the idea of using an existing system like SP, but he's already running the ultimate D&D game on this site. Mine's more like a collaborative weird cartoon.

D&D's not the only choice. I loved playing D&D back in the day, but if I were running a game here I would probably want to use Fate. It has a dead-simple dice mechanic, could not possibly be more open with the characters, and happens to be free.

It sounds like you've got it worked out, though. I wish I had time to play.