• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who Do You Write Like?

Ruby

Auror
Who do you write like?

Hi everyone, how's it going? I've just discovered a site called "I Write Like". You paste excerpts from your text and it analyses your writing and tells you which famous writer's style you use. I pasted several bits of chapters from the wip written this week and a year ago. I got Bram Stoker for all of them. At least I'm consistent! As far as I know, I don't have any vampires in my Nanowrimo WIP, set in the Victorian era. I am writing a graphic novel about vampires, however, so that's interesting!

Here's the link: I Write Like

Please post your results below!

Do you agree with the verdict? Are you using the same style throughout your book or does it vary?

Last edited:
The question of whether it's consistent is a good one. So I tried four chapters of my current WIP (Rudyard Kipling, Neil Gaiman, Douglas Adams, HG Wells respectively) and a couple chapters of the more-polished work awaiting edits (HP Lovecraft and Neil Gaiman).

That's a no on consistency, but I guess I'm going with Gaiman as most common? :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I write like Cup of Joe!

(1st, 2nd, 3rd person... all James Joyce. I wonder if the site has a rule: when in doubt, say "James Joyce.")

Tom

Istar
I tried it several times, just because it was so much fun.

For The North Wind: I write like Tolkien? Wow, didn't see that one coming!

For my NaNo: Anne Rice (why?)

For my main WIP, Southerner: Neil Gaiman (I was very excited about this one)

For my October Paint a Thousand Words piece: Chuck Palahniuk (...who?)

I was sort of hoping for Ursula K. LeGuin, but alas, it was not to be.

Tom

Istar
My brother's favorite author. The one work of his you might know (as a movie) is ​Fight Club.

Ah. I remember hearing of him now.

...How is my writing like Fight Club in any way? Unless we're talking about writing style, which I suppose could be similar. But still. Fight Club.

On a similar note, I just tried it with a passage from my personal journal in which I was ranting about my opinion that writers of informative articles using the term "layperson" smacks of condescension. ("Don't tell me I'm stupid because I'm working class!") I used a lot of sarcasm and swore quite a bit in that passage.

...and it told me I write like H. P. Lovecraft. Really?

I got J. K. Rowling for my piece for the weekly challenge about spear-carriers.

(I think I'm having too much fun with this thing.)

Last edited:

teacup

Auror
Strange. I pasted a random part of my chapter 1, about a page, and it said Neil Gaiman. I pasted another part which followed on directly from the first part and it said Neil Gaiman again. But when I pasted both of them together and in order, it said Anne Rice.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I pasted several paragraphs of my novel I'm finishing, and I got Kurt Vonnegut (brother and sister lamenting how life isn't fair), William Shakespeare (MC being beat up by some thugs who want him to open his safe), H.P. Lovecraft (scene investigating a ruined church surrounded by graves), Dan Brown (chasing down a bad guy), and Vladimir Nabokov (opening scene where my MC is willing to sacrifice herself to kill her nemesis).

The thing is, I wonder how the system works, in that during a fight scene, say, where I'm using a different pacing, am I more similar to an author who writes like that all the time, or like someone who writes fight scenes similarly?

Okay, so those were my results anyways.

So I took it with some of my q & a's as well as a story I'm working on and for the 1st q & a I got Rudyard Kipling, the 2nd q & a I got Cory Doctorow, the 3rd q & a I got Stephen King (How?) and for the story I got Ursula K. Le Guin. Wow. I guess I have a lot of variety.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Strange. I pasted a random part of my chapter 1, about a page, and it said Neil Gaiman. I pasted another part which followed on directly from the first part and it said Neil Gaiman again. But when I pasted both of them together and in order, it said Anne Rice.
I always thought Rice and Gaiman were like the same guy, except that Gaiman is more concise.

Wait. No, I didn't. I'm gonna go to that site right now and call it a fraud.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I told the site:
You are a fraud.

Just imagine. Getting all these aspiring writers to think they write like famous authors.

Shame on you.
The site told me that's how Douglas Adams would have put it if he were to call someone a fraud.

Huh... Douglas Adams. The Hitchhiker's Guide guy! Well, I don't know what your take on this is, but I'd say I'm hitching a ride on the 18-wheeler to Fameville! If you don't hear from me for the next six weeks, I'm probably signing autographs and smoking hundred dollar bills!

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
The intro to my current WIP got me HP Lovecraft. The intro to an older (unfinished) work of mine came up JD Salinger. Apparently I write like authors who use just their first two initials. Does this mean I need to change my pen name to RE Crown? ;)

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
The more I use this silly site, the more curious I am as to its algorithm. I dropped in a random section of my current WIP, and it came up with Margaret Atwood (a name that only seemed vaguely familiar). Looked her up on Amazon, and she has a novel called "Oryx and Crake". Well as it turns out, the story section I submitted has the word "oryx" used repeatedly (because that is the common mount in my world instead of horses). So I'm guessing that my writing style was linked to hers specifically because of this one word that I happened to use in that section of story.

Tom

Istar
The more I use this silly site, the more curious I am as to its algorithm. I dropped in a random section of my current WIP, and it came up with Margaret Atwood (a name that only seemed vaguely familiar). Looked her up on Amazon, and she has a novel called "Oryx and Crake". Well as it turns out, the story section I submitted has the word "oryx" used repeatedly (because that is the common mount in my world instead of horses). So I'm guessing that my writing style was linked to hers specifically because of this one word that I happened to use in that section of story.

I think you're on to something.

As I mentioned earlier, I got H. P. Lovecraft when I pasted in a swear-word-laden rant from my journal. ...Weird.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'll give the site some credit. I copy-pasted quotes from The Hobbit and A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the site knew whose work I was plagiarizing.

Wow. I entered an old short romance story I wrote for some contest or other and got Jane Austen. Then I tried another couple of short stories and got Stephanie Meyer, Rudyard Kipling, PG Wodehouse, and, finally, Dan Brown. Having read all of these except Meyer, I'd have to say I write absolutely nothing like any of them. Not exactly what I was expecting...I wanna see the code.