• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Non-drinkers?

Kelise

Maester
Just curious really... who here doesn't drink alcohol?

Don't have to state your reason if you don't like :)

I don't drink simply because it doesn't do anything for me. Feel like I'm missing out on something sometimes, but often it's just as simple as that and doesn't really matter to me.

I don't :)
I used to but since there is a history of alcoholisim in the family I decided it was not worth the risk. Far to easy to fall into trouble with it. IMHO you are not missing anything, you can laugh at the drunks rather than being the butt end of bad jokes.

Ghost

Inkling
My mother's family drinks every time I see them, and I always hated the way they acted. Most of my peers were drinking in high school, and I was always a stickler for the rules. It wasn't my idea of fun. It might be because I'm not a very social person in the first place. I have an addictive sort of personality, so it never struck me as a bright idea to drink. I hate the idea of my mind and judgement being impaired. All of that combined with the fact that drunk driving is a major problem here turns me off of alcohol.

I do use it for cooking, though. I haven't cooked with many types of alcohol, but the things I've tried were delicious.

myrddin173

Maester
Oh believe me I know, especially in a town like my hometown... But I don't really want to go to prison so I actually follow the law:)

Dragonie

Scribe
I have no interest in drinking, either, although sometimes I'll try something if it seems interesting. I really don't like the way alcohol makes me feel, to be honest. Sort of like my limbs have gone all wibbly and dislocated. :(

Xanados

Maester
I do not. I have done on occasion, but merely in celebration. It's pointless, clouds your judgment.

I don't for religious reasons (I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/LDS/Mormon). Both of my parents' families drink, though. Especially my dad's. Watching my 17-year-old cousins get "initiated" by the family has always been off-putting for me, especially when I was younger than them (I'm 26 now and it's still happening... I have a ton of cousins). Without fail they end up with their heads in a toilet, and I've never seen the attraction of that. Or of not being able to remember something that was supposed to be fun. I suppose if I wasn't LDS I'd drink socially, but I don't miss it. I drink a lot of Pepsi instead. Love Pepsi. And I don't mind when other people drink around me, as long as they aren't driving me anywhere. :)

I can recall exactly one time where I had more than half a wine cooler...

Let me sum it up in a short few words.

I was upset, my friends and I hung out at this karaoke bar every week.

I got free sodas because I drove the drunks home. (Very Small Town!) One day my fiancé and I split and I ordered something other than soda, shocked the crap outta the bartender.

Long story short I downed 4 seven horsemen in 45 mins, A friend of mine came into the bar and asked me if I was ok. (I think Stephen called him, but he won't tell.)

I laughed told him I was "perfect now", as I handed him my keys. He was nice enough to drive me home except... I could not remember where I lived. Oops. In my defense I had lived there exactly three days but...

Like I said its better to do the laughing than be laughed at, Adam will never let me live that down. Don't even ask me about the voice mail I left my new roommates that night. :eek: That was embarassing!

So long story short no you are not missing anything hangover, and maybe some vomit on the toilet seat aside. Ick. In hindsight it was the best thing to happen to me. I decided the next morning two days after this... (Baaaaad Hangover) that I was not going to allow myself to dive head first into something that could kill me. :cool:

So, next time someone gives you a hard time about not drinking, you can sweetly let them know that they peed themselves last weekend (or someother such OMG moment.)

Last edited:

Argentum

Troubadour
My mom once told me she knew she could easily become alcoholic if she let herself, and for that reason, I tend to stay away from those sort of drinks, for fear that I will end up with the same problem. It's also partly religious, only my religion looks down on drunkeness, not drinking alcohol. So I don't really drink the stuff. I've tasted various types of alcohol (rice wine, etc) and frankly ... it's awful. I keep sampling, thinking maybe this time it won't taste so bad, but it hasn't changed. :p I still want to try champagne and wine, though, so I can feel fancy. :D

My mom once told me she knew she could easily become alcoholic if she let herself, and for that reason, I tend to stay away from those sort of drinks, for fear that I will end up with the same problem. It's also partly religious, only my religion looks down on drunkeness, not drinking alcohol. So I don't really drink the stuff. I've tasted various types of alcohol (rice wine, etc) and frankly ... it's awful. I keep sampling, thinking maybe this time it won't taste so bad, but it hasn't changed. :p I still want to try champagne and wine, though, so I can feel fancy. :D

Just make sure it is super cold man, that stuff is wicked bitter! (IMHO)

Shadoe

Sage
I love champagne! And light wines - I cannot stand the dark, heavy stuff.

I used to drink... a lot. I'd go out to the bar every Friday. And Saturday, Thursday, Wednesday... It was one of those, "Where everyone knows your name" deals. I went on vacation and came back to find out everyone thought I'd died. Not an alcoholic, mind you, I just partied a lot. Then one day I got bored with it and moved on to other things. I still drink occasionally. I'll have a beer with the guys from time to time or a wine cooler, and I'll never turn down champagne. :) But mostly, meh, I can take it or leave it.

And now I'm diabetic, so I stay away from that much sugar.

WhiteTiger

Dreamer
I used to back when I was young and in my 20's.. now I just don't find it fun or interesting to do. I'd much rather do something or sit down and write... lol, yea, I am boring..XD

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have had many friends who do not drink at all, especially for two reasons: 1-They don't like the taste of alcohol (apparently, for some people it tastes just bad) or 2-The effect that alcohol has on them is unpleasant, so while it makes most of us feel happy, cheerful and fun, it's different for some people and they just feel sick =P

I am a Wine drinker, really love wine!! Cider and beer are also my favs, but I stay away from the strong stuff because I really hate the taste of all those drinks and cocktails.

Also, it's very difficult to become an alcoholic with fermented beverages and very easy with the others!!

I like to drink beer and rosé wine, though I do not care much for red or white wine. I like to drink often, but rarely enough to get seriously drunk - as I see it, alcohol is a poison and should thus be taken in small doses over a long period of time rather then in large doses on single occasions.

I normally stop drinking when I begin to get wobbly. I have so far not experienced any loss of judgement, increased or decreased mirth or any other cognitive changes, except that alcohol apparently makes music sound better.

Can't stand hard liquor - I'll try a new type when the occasion presents itself just to see if I like it, but so far I've found the taste terrible.

2-The effect that alcohol has on them is unpleasant, so while it makes most of us feel happy, cheerful and fun, it's different for some people and they just feel sick =P

It's important to remember that alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant. It doesn't actually make you happy and cheerful, it just makes you more relaxed and kinda sluggish. For some people, it lets you unwind enough to enjoy yourself, but for others it just makes you feel tired and down.

In fact, central depressant substances actually lowers arousal levels and excitability, so any good time you have while drunk is probably all you.

I was teetotal for many years, mostly because my father was a violent drunk and I hated him so much I refused to be like him. later in life I discovered that I was perfectly capable of having a drink without becoming violent or abusive. So now I enjoy the odd glass of whiskey, the occasional beer and a glass or two of white wine, but in moderation. I can't stand to see people get so drunk that they become abusive towards others or just plain make fools of themselves.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Graham: I am sorry to hear about that... I have met people who get very violent with alcohol too, and it can cause a lot of trouble for them and for everyone around them!! It's good that you enjoy some drinks sometimes with moderation, that's what all drinkers should learn to do =)

@Anders: Well, some research has suggested that in low doses and in some people, alcohol can be a stimulant and I think that is what happens to me... It can be a stimulant and a depressant depending on the level of alcohol in blood- really, you drink rosé but never whites or reds? I hit all wines, whatever colour, age, quality or style they are!!

I understand the reasons that some people have to avoid alcohol completely, and I respect them: the fact that it makes me feel cheerful does not mean that it has the same effect on everyone else...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I used to swear off drinking when I first went to college, but it grew on me. There didn't seem to be anything sketchy or ominous about a few people at a table drinking beers and talking about life. But it's all in who you are and who you drink with. Me, it doesn't affect me a lot. I might get a little looser, and then I might start to get a little sleepy. Does it make a difference that one of my first drinking experiences I was underage and chatting at an outdoor table with a priest in Germany?

I enjoy a good beer, white wine, margaritas and amaretto.

It seems to me that the older I get the less I even want to have a small drink let alone get snookered.

I have also found that most who are drunk people get really annoying/loud/rude and that irritates me to no end.

Hubby is a big drinker (don't ask) and there are times when I have to leave the house just so I don't end up drop kicking him.

Don't get me wrong A drink here and there is usualy ok, any more than that and I just wanna get away from the person as quickly as I can manage, and as far as the car will take me.