• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I support fellow aspiring writers

ok wondring if any fellow aspirating writers have books out reviewing ongoing now first review on from this community sadly to say work takes my time but happily source fellow writers as i see it we in all the same boat somewhat excuse for my poor writing iam dyslexic and had bit of drink si it comes back

SeverinR

Vala
There is a site that encourages people to review other peoples writings by requiring it to post yours.
I tried, but I like such a tight circle of fantasy I get bored reading stuff that doesn't interest me.
ie I like what I like. (genre, age group, and maturity rating)
IMHO most epic novels go to far to fast. One day root farmer peasant Dan finds a wand in the dirt next to a potato, day five he is being chased by half the soldiers in the country, day 30 and he is plotting his way into the castle of the super mega overlord of darkness, getting by the other half of the soliders that aren't out looking for him.

My biggest problem with epic- how many times can the world be saved from ultimate doom by the ultimate unknown nobody, when it takes 10-30 yrs to build up the evil overlord's challenge against the world?

I like day in the life adventures that might build into an epic battle in maybe two or three books. Most of my books are coming of age, how they get to be the great mage, the great Psi warrior, the best thief no one knows about. (the greatest thief is the one no one knows about, not the one everyone knows. Because if everyone knows, they watch for it.) How does a bard come to find his ability?
Hard to find stories I can get interested in, to many want to write an epic novel.

I've read my fair share of coming of age stories and I've enjoyed quite a few of them, but some of the stories I enjoyed the most are about characters that start from a competent level. The Black Company is a great example. We start from an experienced company of mercenaries that has a long history. It's written in series of three books as well.

But as I see it, an epic loses its strength at about book six. I would like to write an epic of six books, but I would definitely put in the work to try and make the books in the series somewhat standalone.