• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Labour Intensive Volunteer Work?

Laurence

Inkling
I'm a 20 year old guy and am aware that it's mostly retired seniors who take up volunteer jobs. I figured I'd therefore be best put to use doing a more physically challenging volunteer job. Unfortunately I work Mon-Fri so would only be able to work Saturday and/or Sunday.

Do you guys have any suggestions? If not then feel free to suggest the most worthwhile volunteer opportunities in your opinion!

I'm based in London by the way.

Laurence

Inkling
London, England?

Habitat for Humanity

London, Ontario?

Habitat for Humanity

I've done work for them before; very physical, very rewarding.

Another option is to volunteer as a dog walker for your local animal shelter. There's always a 120lb beast that likes to pull on his leash. :)

Oops, London UK! I forget there are others.

I'm afraid I'm at the start of my career and am not in a position where I can go abroad to volunteer. This is a regular weekend thing I'm thinking of. Dog walking is a great idea though - thanks!

Velka

Sage
Ah, my bad. Habitat for Humanity has local projects here in Canada. I just assumed the UK version of it would have projects based in London.

Another idea is volunteering at a local youth centre to help out with sports and the such.

Depending on your tastes, churches often need help maintaining their graveyards - it's physical work like gardening, moving paving stones, helping restore old gravestones.

Non-profit assisted living centres for people with physical/mental disabilities also usually need someone to help maintain grounds, do handyman work, etc.

Russ

Istar
Groups that take in collections of clothing and furniture to be redistributed are always looking for young people who are willing to put their back into it.

Laurence

Inkling
Thanks a bunch guys - I had my first day with a German Shepherd Dog rescue organisation at a kennel today. It was amazing!