• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can we please retire the Katana...

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
As long as your retirement doesn't apply to existing characters; Leonardo wouldn't be the same without his.

I'd rather see one really great anti-katana moment, some instant-classic movie scene where the Katana Kid slashes a guy in armor and realizes that's the wrong place for a light weapon, followed by a friend with a good old western "crowbar sword" elbowing him aside to do the job right.

A guy can dream...

Tom

Istar
Yeah! Longswords, greatswords, claymores, short swords, broadswords, sabers, and rapiers! There are so many great weapons the western world has to offer. Let's give them a chance to take the spotlight!

SeverinR

Vala
I'd rather see one really great anti-katana moment, some instant-classic movie scene where the Katana Kid slashes a guy in armor and realizes that's the wrong place for a light weapon, followed by a friend with a good old western "crowbar sword" elbowing him aside to do the job right.

A guy can dream...
Be kind of like the 'Indiana Jones' moment when he shoots the swordsman...or when he grabs for his gun and its not there.

Yeah! Longswords, greatswords, claymores, short swords, broadswords, sabers, and rapiers! There are so many great weapons the western world has to offer. Let's give them a chance to take the spotlight!
Isn't the generic fantasy long sword as tired as the katana? It's the standard issue weapon in the arsenal of fantasy. Only the great warriors have a bastard or two handed sword. I guess in LOTR they have short swords, because they were short people.

Reaver

Staff
The katana is a cool weapon given the right circumstance but for my money I'd go with the naginata. My character in Legendary Sidekick's awesome Flat Earth game uses both ancient weapons but favors the naginata.

My avatar is from that game and in it he is wielding the famed weapon.

By the way, my avatar and all the amazing artwork in Flat Earth is by the one and only Legendary Sidekick.

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
Isn't the generic fantasy long sword as tired as the katana? It's the standard issue weapon in the arsenal of fantasy. Only the great warriors have a bastard or two handed sword. I guess in LOTR they have short swords, because they were short people.

Longsword is just another name for a two-handed sword, actually. I don't really see a lot of them--most everyone tends to go for a bastard sword when arming their characters, because it has more versatility.

I'd like to see more Viking weapons, personally--the one-handed sword, the seax knife, etc...

Be kind of like the 'Indiana Jones' moment when he shoots the swordsman...or when he grabs for his gun and its not there.

That's why one of the main characters of my story uses gauntlets first and foremost. :) Sword as a backup.

Ophiucha

Auror
On the mention of the naginata, I'd love to see more pole and spear-type weapons in fantasy. They were more common than swords at many points (and places) in history, there's a ton of variety in their design, they're cheaper, women were often more capable of using them (good if you're writing about a female warrior), and they're just pretty cool.

Tom

Istar
Fencing sabers are actually pretty badass--don't underestimate them. Designed for both stabbing and slashing, they're often utilized with an aggressive fighting style that involves diving, leaping, and lots of bladework. A strong saber cut to the shoulder can easily shatter your collarbone! I can see hunting small, light, fast monsters with them.