• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lore Master

MineOwnKing

Maester
Wow,

I'm a Lore Master already? I feel so honored.

A big thank you to everyone for making Mythic Scribes great.

When thou camest first,
Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me
Water with berries in't, and teach me how
To name the bigger light, and how the less,
That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee
And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,
The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:
Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
For I am all the subjects that you have,
Which first was mine own king

MineOwnKing

Maester
What's a Mystagogue?

Now I have a new pick up line.

Have you ever seen a grown Mystagogue naked?

What's your vector victor?

MineOwnKing

Maester
The original quote is from The Tempest.

Caliban was his own king before Prospero came to the island and made him a slave.

I have dubbed myself MineOwnKing because that's how I like to roll. My friends tell me that I'm kind of a rebel because I'm a natural born skeptic and probably because only a writer can actually relate to the way another writer thinks; my friends are not writers.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked, is from the movie airplane.

I'm not familiar with Mystagogue.

The original quote is from The Tempest. Caliban was his own king before Prospero came to the island and made him a slave.

I love Shakespeare though I must admit I have yet to read The Tempest. My To-Read list is already overwhelming but I'll have to add that in somewhere between Don Quixote and War & Peace. I swear I end up adding four for every one I take off. C'est la vie!

You're right about writers. We're all a bunch of weirdos. But here we get to be weirdos together and I find the company is not too shabby.

Incanus

Auror
Yes, long live the weirdos of writing!

I was pretty sure the poem was Shakespeare, but didn't know which. Cool. I need to go on a Shakespeare binge one of these days, but just like TCC above, I add to my reading listing much faster than I finish books.

Not that anyone asked, but this is the source of my screen name:

"Mithrandir we called him in elf-fashion," said Faramir, "and he was content. ’Many are my names in many countries,’ he said. ’Mithrandir, among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the south Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.’"

MineOwnKing

Maester
I love Shakespeare though I must admit I have yet to read The Tempest. My To-Read list is already overwhelming but I'll have to add that in somewhere between Don Quixote and War & Peace. I swear I end up adding four for every one I take off. C'est la vie!

You're right about writers. We're all a bunch of weirdos. But here we get to be weirdos together and I find the company is not too shabby.

I'm a Shakespeare geek, so for me reading his plays is normal. But for the average Joe I would not recommend just reading Shakespeare.

I remember vividly the dreary hours of my high school English classes, reading Shakespeare without having ever seen any of the plays.

I can't imagine what those teachers were thinking.

Except for his sonnets, the majority of his work is meant to be experienced in theater. Luckily for us we also get the advantage of watching it through film.

Julie Taymore made a wonderful film version in which she replaced Prospero, with Prospera,( Played by Helen Mirren)

I recommend starting with that version before reading it.

I know very few people that enjoy Shakespeare, so for me it's a lonely road.

Not many theater buffs out here in the middle of endless corn fields.

I need a change of scenery. I'm thinking either Portland or Belize, whichever has more bikinis and boat drinks.

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
Except for his sonnets, the majority of his work is meant to be experienced in theater. Luckily for us we also get the advantage of watching it through film.

Julie Taymore made a wonderful film version in which she replaced Prospero, with Prospera,( Played by Helen Mirren)

I recommend starting with that version before reading it.

That's really great advice. I think I will do just that. And Helen Mirren makes it all the more enticing--she is enormously talented. Time to update my Netflix queue...

MineOwnKing

Maester
That's really great advice. I think I will do just that. And Helen Mirren makes it all the more enticing--she is enormously talented. Time to update my Netflix queue...

Hey,

Shakespeare, Boat drinks, bikinis, what could be better?

I like to live life with a slice of lime.

Incanus

Auror
Ohh, before I forget. For me, it is absolutely crucial that any version of any Shakespeare be set in the proper time period. A while back I started watching a version of Richard III, but it was set in WWI Europe. 20th century folks speaking in flowery renaissance parlance was one of the most jarring things I'd ever come across. Couldn't watch it at all.

I'm hoping The Tempest takes place in the proper time period. I'll make sure to find out ahead of time.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Ohh, before I forget. For me, it is absolutely crucial that any version of any Shakespeare be set in the proper time period. A while back I started watching a version of Richard III, but it was set in WWI Europe. 20th century folks speaking in flowery renaissance parlance was one of the most jarring things I'd ever come across. Couldn't watch it at all.

I'm hoping The Tempest takes place in the proper time period. I'll make sure to find out ahead of time.

Yup,

This one is time-wise correct.

The Tempest was written when Shakespeare was at the height of his powers.

Historians consider the final words of Prospero to be Shakespeare's official goodbye to the world.

Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes, and groves;
And ye that on the sands with printless foot
Do chase the ebbing Neptune, and do fly him
When he comes back; you demi-puppets that
By moonshine do the green sour ringlets make,
Whereof the ewe not bites; and you whose pastime
Is to make midnight mushrooms, that rejoice
To hear the solemn curfew; by whose aid,—
Weak masters though ye be,

—I have bedimmed
The noontide sun, called forth the mutinous winds,
And 'twixt the green sea and the azured vault