• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

World Fantasy Convention

Russ

Istar
Has anybody gone to one of these? Is anyone going this year?

I am thinking about it, and have had great experiences at many cons, but curious what people's experience with this one has been.

Fyle

Inkling
I have not... and I live in Tokyo, so, ones held here will not quite be the same. I would imagine they would be mixed with all kind of anime and Japanese type fantasy.

SeverinR

Vala
I am planning on going next year to my first Comic Con(Indy).
Looks like fun.
It looks like it might be...in Kansas. "Oh, Joy Toto!"

I wonder if there will be a yellow brick road?

Checked the site, only 5 guests listed, might be famous, but I don't recognize them.
World Science Fiction Convention / Worldcon [Official]
Do they dress up like the big Comic con?

Finland's the next year. "Give em Hel-sinki."

I've always enjoyed the Fantasy genre in art, music, cinema, etc., but outside of the works themselves I've never been big on the sub-culture trappings all that much.

Hanging around socially awkward fantasy fanatics is not my idea of a good time.

No offense to anyone. :)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
The World Fantasy Convention isn't just any fandom geekfest. It's where the Hugo Awards are given out. For our genre it's one of the most important conventions There are author panels and readings-and-meet and greets. So excited for 2016! I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, where the con is going to be held. Fabulous city!

Russ

Istar
The World Fantasy Convention isn't just any fandom geekfest. It's where the Hugo Awards are given out. For our genre it's one of the most important conventions There are author panels and readings-and-meet and greets. So excited for 2016! I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, where the con is going to be held. Fabulous city!

I think you are referring to the World Science Fiction Convention also called Worldcon, which is a different con.

I have been to Worldcon and found it simply amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about going.