• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

She gone and done it.

Russ

Istar
So I fretted for a few days about where to post this, but this sub forum seems appropriate.

On Monday my lovely wife sold her debut novel's UK rights to a very good publisher.

Negotiations for US rights, audio book and film rights are currently ongoing. We expect them all to be finalized shortly.

If I seem incoherent for a while it is because the blood is rushing to my head as I am dancing on the ceiling.

Once the dust settles I will be pleased to discuss the process to the extent I can.

Mythopoet

Auror
Hope you had an IP lawyer go over the contract and negotiate it for you.

Also, wouldn't this go in the "Publishing" forum?

Russ

Istar
Hope you had an IP lawyer go over the contract and negotiate it for you.

Her agent is a lawyer, I am a lawyer and at the time we were working on it we were on vacation with two very savy NYT best sellers. We are pretty confident in the terms which were very good.

Also, wouldn't this go in the "Publishing" forum?

I considered that, but that forum said it was for getting published in fantasy and my wife writes thrillers.

Russ

Istar
So, are you next?

Let's hope so some day! Realistically my wife is a better writer than I am, but I hope to learn a great deal from the path she took to get there. I plan to use the same editor, and try to get an agent at the agency who represents her to represent my work as well.

But finishing the book first might help.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
That's really awesome, Russ! Congratulations for her!

Thriller or not, I hope you'll let us know when it hits the market. I look forward to reading it.

Yeesh the title of this thread is so misleading! Dx Happy to learn this wasn't a "venting about bitch" thread. Congratulations for her! :p And congratulations for you as well, being part of a happy unit and all, and for not being jealous. I know I would be if I was interested in publishing, and I gotta say I've had enough issues from being too competitive that I've learned it's better to just be happy for people sometimes. xD

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Tell her she did a great job and congratulations!

(on second thought that might be a little strange. Your call russ :D )

Russ

Istar
Tell her she did a great job and congratulations!

(on second thought that might be a little strange. Your call russ :D )

Always happy to pass along all good wishes.

For us, working on the craft/career of writing has always been something that has brought us together not caused any stress. We are lucky to have each other and lucky to both be into writing.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That sounds wonderful to be honest. You're a lucky man Russ and soon you might be a famous one as well (Can't be too positive right?)

Russ

Istar
A quick update.

After some of the most fascinating negotiations I have had the privilege of watching from the sidelines she sold her North American print rights yesterday with a contract we are more than pleased with.

My two favourite words in the agreement are: "guaranteed hardcover."

Reactions: Ban

Russ

Istar
And sold the audio rights on Friday around dinner time. Next up...international.