• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Music & Writing

FatCat

Maester
Hey all!
Just wondering what you guys listen to as you write, if you listen to anything at all. Personally, I'm a big electronica fan, something about the steady beats and cool synthesizer sounds help me focus.

FireBird

Troubadour
Instrumental music. I don't like listening to anything with lyrics while I write. There are exceptions like a song with very light lyrics or lyrics in a different language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chilari

Staff
There is already a thread about this, but it's quite long and old enough to be left in peace.

I listen to different stuff dependant on mood, but I tend these days to stick to one album per session. My two favourites at the moment are Frank Turner's England Keep my Bones and CN Lester's Ashes. The latter in particular is superb when coupled with rainymood.com, which since learning of its existance a couple of weeks ago I have had on in the background a lot. I would include links but I'm posting from work.

I'm listening to old Smashing Pumpkins right now.

Of course, I'm not writing now. I'm actually coding a web app. (I promised my wife that, after I finished THE QUEEN OF MAGES, I'd finish the meal-planning web app I wrote. ;-))

FatCat

Maester
There is already a thread about this, but it's quite long and old enough to be left in peace.

I listen to different stuff dependant on mood, but I tend these days to stick to one album per session. My two favourites at the moment are Frank Turner's England Keep my Bones and CN Lester's Ashes. The latter in particular is superb when coupled with rainymood.com, which since learning of its existance a couple of weeks ago I have had on in the background a lot. I would include links but I'm posting from work.

Checked out that website, beethoven's moonlight sonata sounds really interesting with the rain background. I originally was incredulous at the idea, but it worked to my surprise!

My current inspiring music of choice is the Gundam Unicorn OST:

Technically sci-fi, but really epic stuff.

I do not like to listen to music while I write because I find it distracting but i will listen to music before I write. If I am working on my Orc story I usually listen to Amon Amarth. I know vikings and Orcs don't mix but oh well. If I am working on my Aeon of Darkness series, I usually listen to bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Nile, Dimmu Borgir, or Behemoth to give me that really dark feel.

I also like electronic music. I usually listen to dubstep or hardstyle if I want to get put into a good mood. Okay I admit, sometimes I will listen to music when i write but only with very ambient music like Tycho or God is an Astronaut and maybe even some stuff from Devin Townsend (Ki and Ghost)

Anyone that likes Metal and Fantasy needs to check out this band

I don't listen to music while I write, but I draw a lot of inspiration from music. Oh by the way I listen to a lot of strange stuff, some of it very old.

I usually listen to whatever strikes my mood. If I'm stuck, it's Mozart or Strauss. Most of the time, it's music I'm very familiar with. As I write, it fades into the background.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It really tends to vary from story to story and character to character. Some characters or couples have whole playlists devoted to their stories -- mostly of songs I've found that reflect their personalities or struggles perfectly. Can be anything from Within Temptation or Evanescence to something from a Broadway musical.