• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Kind of Writer are You?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
You’re a Vladimir Nabokov. You chose esoteric and technical words that would drive most readers straight to their nearest dictionary. Other novelists known for their use of obscure or difficult language are Thomas Pynchon and Zadie Smith. A career in academia or science writing might suit your tastes.
Opps! Perhaps a little too close to the truth... but I work in a University so perhaps its rubbing off on me...

I object. The options are too limited. My favourite word for the place where a person lives is lair, thank you very much.

Also, it doesn't consider the variations in your answers, just which alternative got the highest percentage in the end.

Butterfly

Auror
Mmmm.....

You’re a William Faulkner. You chose flowery and formal words commonly used by literary novelists and poets. Other writers known for florid diction are F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Eliot, and Edgar Allan Poe. You dream of Nobel Prizes and National Book Awards every night.

er... no, I don't dream of those sorts of things...

Ireth

Myth Weaver
You’re an Ernest Hemingway. You chose clear and unflashy words that get right to the point. Other writers known for this style are George Orwell and Raymond Carver. Try your hand at a six-word memoir, consider a career in journalism, and maintain an active Twitter account.

Alrighty then.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
You’re a Toni Morrison. You chose informal or slang words that indicate a preference for writing in the vernacular. Other novelists known for their informal prose are Mark Twain, Zora Neale Hurston, Harper Lee, and J.D. Salinger. If novel writing isn’t your cup of tea, dabble in some blogging or draft a dialogue-heavy script for film or television.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
You’re a Toni Morrison. You chose informal or slang words that indicate a preference for writing in the vernacular. Other novelists known for their informal prose are Mark Twain, Zora Neale Hurston, Harper Lee, and J.D. Salinger. If novel writing isn’t your cup of tea, dabble in some blogging or draft a dialogue-heavy script for film or television.

This is what it tells me too. Shrug...

ArelEndan

Scribe
You’re a William Faulkner. You chose flowery and formal words commonly used by literary novelists and poets. Other writers known for florid diction are F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Eliot, and Edgar Allan Poe. You dream of Nobel Prizes and National Book Awards every night.

Other than the fact that I dislike reading Faulkner, I have to agree with the assessment. However, I don't dream about awards every night.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Toni Morrison because I prefer slang and vernacular? I call bad test.

Lorna

Inkling
You’re a Vladimir Nabokov. You chose esoteric and technical words that would drive most readers straight to their nearest dictionary. Other novelists known for their use of obscure or difficult language are Thomas Pynchon and Zadie Smith. A career in academia or science writing might suit your tastes.

Bang on. I screwed up my novel and am gagging to go back to university. Will somebody in academia take pity on me and give me a grant. Please...

I'm also Hemingway, apparently.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the word choices have different connotations based on circumstances, but the most generally useful one is the "plain" (choice C) word that leads you to be Hemingway. I might have used any of those words in certain contexts, but when asked "which one would you use" I'm generally going to pick simple.

Also, I'm not an alcoholic or suicidal.

morfiction

Troubadour
I'm not taking tests.

I'll answer the question honestly. I write "blue" material because that's often where my imagination takes me. I don't wish to offend people with certain sensibilities. I pretty much let the story write itself as it wants and I'm a conduit from which it hits the screen or paper. Preferably it goes on the screen and is later printed on paper!

I have no tricks to trick my characters into doing things so I can write about them. It comes with a good degree of trust. I am trusted to be honest in how I convey what they do AND I to an extent operate "without a net."

If you find it odd I am talking about fictional people as if they were real, then... feel free. I'm not prescribing this irrationality!

Ameronis

Dreamer
I got Hemingway as well.
Though I agree that the test is a bit limited, with there always being an option that was extremely common, and another that only three people know the meaning of.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I thought there were only two writing styles... the ones you liked and the ones you don't?

The styles are:

1. The ones you like, but are wrong to like (as determined by me);
2. The ones you like and are right to like;
3. The ones you dislike, but are wrong to dislike; and
4. The ones you dislike and are right to dislike.

the simplified version of the list is as follows:

1. The ones Steerpike likes; and
2. The ones Steepike dislikes.

:D