• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Paint a Thousand Words - Challenge

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
We've all heard the phrase, “"A picture paints a thousand words.”"

That’s the root of our newest challenge here at Mythic Scribes. The Paint a Thousand Words challenge…...flash fiction meets visual artistry.

This community has an abundance of talented artist. Some use ink on a page. Others employ color on canvas. Whatever your chosen medium, this challenge may be the place to showcase your artistic talents on either side, or both.

For the visual artist:
We could select images from outside Mythic Scribes. However, we'd prefer to collaborate with the talented people who are part of this community. We’ll be taking your submissions to use in the writing portion of the monthly contest. If chosen, writers from our community will use your image as a prompt, creating a story or scene meant to invoke emotion in the reader...in a thousand words or less.

You retain all rights to your artwork. If the challenge is successful, and at a later date, considered for publication, the artwork could be purchased or licensed for publication, with your consent. However, that is a ways in the future.

For now, consider this an opportunity to gain exposure for your artwork among the membership. More than anything, consider this a fun way to see your artistry inspire the work of other scribes. Read the stories they create around your image.

If interested, please contact me through private message. We can discuss any submissions, concerns, comments, or suggestions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

For the writer:
Invoking emotion in the reader is one our most important and challenging tasks. That’'s the focus of the writer’s side of Paint a Thousand Words.

Your entry may be anything you choose, inspired from the provided image. You may submit lengths ranging from a single scene to a complete flash fiction story...in a thousand words or less.

Challenge judges will grade entries on the following categories:
1) Emotional immersion - Character or Setting:
a. Did the writer make the reader care?

2) Description:
a. Did the description of action, setting, or character have impact, create an impression, or convey mood?
b. Did description do powerful work?
c. Did the description bind the image and story?

3) Presentation & Writing Craft:
a. Does the writing assist with immersion, or is it noticeable, detracting from the story?

Please use this thread to acknowledge your interest, or as a place to pool comments and suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabrosky

Banned
Sounds like an awesome opportunity. I'd love it if someone wrote a story, even flash fiction, using my artwork as inspiration. Now I just need to find a suitable picture from my gallery...

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Update....

I'll be accepting first visual art submissions through September 30th.

The writing portion will begin shortly thereafter.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
The first piece for this challenge has been selected & it appears that November's piece will be settled upon shortly.

I am still taking submissions for December and January. I'd like to have art selected in advance so the challenge runs smoothly and we don't have to search for art each month.

The writing portion of the challenge begins October 1st.

If you have interest, please contact me through private message. I'd love to see your art through PM, email, or a site used to showcase your art.

If you've already submitted a piece, your art will be in continual consideration month to month.

Thank you.

Last edited: