• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jabrosky's Crimes Against Fantasy Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabrosky

Banned
All of these come from my DeviantArt page which I link to in my sig. I'll start with three of my most recent submissions, all colored with Prismacolor pencils.
gareth_of_daoinetir_by_brandonspilcher-d5981wi.jpg

Portrait of a Nordic/Celtic guy

queen_khanyisile_of_izwelabantu_by_brandonspilcher-d5981wm.jpg

Portrait of an African queen

abantu_temple_pylon_by_brandonspilcher-d597lxr.jpg

This structure is meant to be a facade for a religious building and combines architectural elements from ancient Egyptian pylons and sub-Saharan African huts

ahwere_the_egyptian_by_brandonspilcher-d59353a.jpg

This female character has a roughly Egyptian cultural inspiration

Jabrosky

Banned
Crimes, say you? Lies, say I. I love all of these. Great stuff!
Thank you, though the title's meant to be facetious.

west_african_princess_by_brandonspilcher-d5508ue.jpg

The architecture here has a West African, especially Malian, inspiration

feathered_tyrant_by_brandonspilcher-d53pw13.jpg

Tyrannosaurus rex

matriarch_of_the_clan_by_jabrosky-d4v4w8c.jpg

Velociraptor

ranjitha_the_lemurian_by_brandonspilcher-d58qxwn.jpg

Woman from the "legendary" lost continent of Lemuria. Her design drew from Indian, New Guinean, and Australian aboriginal sources.

BTW, the last three pics were colored in GIMP.

Last edited:
I really liked the first "African queen" image and I think that all of your architecture has a very crisp, clean look that looks great for concept art or design work.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Very good stuff. How do you make them? Some look hand drawn and others look possibly digital? Either way, they all look cool.

Jabrosky

Banned
I really liked the first "African queen" image and I think that all of your architecture has a very crisp, clean look that looks great for concept art or design work.
As a matter of act, a lot of my art functions to illustrate character, creature, or setting concepts.
Very good stuff. How do you make them? Some look hand drawn and others look possibly digital? Either way, they all look cool.
Actually all of them are hand-drawn, though I colored some digitally in GIMP after scanning them in. Honestly, I find drawing with a mouse or tablet awkward.

Jabrosky

Banned
nzinga_the_jungle_girl_by_brandonspilcher-d59rhsp.jpg

Nzinga the Jungle Girl

Originally created for roleplaying on a message board a few years back, Nzinga has been an on-and-off character for me. Her basic archetype is that of the dinosaur-fighting jungle woman in the tradition of Marvel's Shanna the She-Devil. I would really like to write a story for her someday so that she may have a life beyond my artwork.

The funky bronze object Nzinga holds in her left hand is a throwing knife with a design influenced by those used in Central Africa.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Looking good. Although the green bra kind of looks out of place next to the leopard skin ones. Other than she looks pretty sweet.

Jabrosky

Banned
Leaders from three fantasy cultures I have designed:

northman__valerian__and_kametian_by_brandonspilcher-d5aoy7o.jpg

The Northfolk (left):
They are a blond-haired, blue-eyed, stockily built white race of hunter-gatherers who live in the world's cold northerly forests and tundras. They have an animistic religion which reveres nature (thunder is their most important deity), beautiful cave art, and democratically elected chieftains. Although the Northfolk frequently fight each other, their wars are small in scale and function essentially as young men's sports, with women and children rarely being molested. Swords and axes are their favorite combat weapons even though bows are preferred for hunting; no horses or other mountable animals are used. Northmen customarily decorate their faces with blue woad paint when preparing for battle.

The Valerian Empire (middle): The olive-skinned, dark-haired Valerians build most of their cities along rivers or the coast as their homeland is dry and rocky, and their economy depends heavily on commerce and slavery. These stringent monotheists believe they are their god Deus's chosen people, giving them racial and cultural superiority over the rest of the world. Consequently the Valerians are very aggressive and expansionist, and they have few qualms about exterminating any people who resist their imperialism. They even amuse themselves by watching slaves fight each other and wild beasts in the arena! In theory the Valerian Senate keeps the monarchic Emperor's power in check, but since the Senators are almost invariably land-hungry patricians, their interests often coincide with the Emperor's anyway. The Valerian military legions are dominated by heavily armored infantry; archers and other ranged fighters are spurned as cowardly. On a more positive note, the Valerian Empire is renown for its grand marble architecture and aqueduct system.

The Kingdom of Kametu (right): These black-skinned, woolly-haired people plant their farms and herd their domesticated buffaloes on fertile riverside floodplains bisecting a savanna. Other facets of the Kametian economy include mining gold and gems (they liberally decorate themselves with jewelry), quarrying stone, and hunting wild animals for skins, ivory, feathers, and delicacies. Most Kametian buildings are mudbrick, but they are famous for their colorfully emblazoned limestone temples and royal tombs. The Kametians believe their rulers, who can be either male or female, are descended from the Supreme Being whom they associate with the Sun. Rulers are expected to govern benevolently and summon the rains every year in exchange for grand burials and their people's piety. Most Kametian soldiers wear little armor other than hide shields, as mobility is more important to their battle tactics than brute strength, but the Kametian army boasts of its zebra chariots and war elephants.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Very good. I particularly like the Northfolk leader and the Kametu one. Although, the Valerian leader seems rather thin and frail. Was the thin and frail look intentional? If not, it kind of makes the Valerian look more womanly. His proportions are rather close to the Kametu leader. Although, maybe you were just making the Kametu woman more masculine? Regardless, I do like all three of them. Especially the smug look on the Valerian one.

I also like the background you have given us on all three civilizations, it really gives you a feel for the artwork. Good work!

Jabrosky

Banned
Very good. I particularly like the Northfolk leader and the Kametu one. Although, the Valerian leader seems rather thin and frail. Was the thin and frail look intentional? If not, it kind of makes the Valerian look more womanly. His proportions are rather close to the Kametu leader. Although, maybe you were just making the Kametu woman more masculine?
The Valerians have a shorter stature than the other two races (with the Northfolk being big and stocky and the Kametu tall and lean), so yes, the frail look is intentional.

SlimShady

Troubadour
The Valerians have a shorter stature than the other two races (with the Northfolk being big and stocky and the Kametu tall and lean), so yes, the frail look is intentional.

I thought so. Your artwork definitely matches your descriptions. Looking forward to more updates.

Jabrosky

Banned
pharaoh_sekhmethotep_by_brandonspilcher-d5buwqp.jpg

Pharaoh Sekhmethotep (not a real Egyptian Pharaoh, but she was the heroine of a story I started writing but ended up scrapping a couple of years ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.