• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vielmond's Works

Nihal

Vala
So... I'm not sure of what exactly I've googled to end here, but when I noticed I was already devouring the forum contents. I only know I've stumbled on the most interesting discussions and decided to join the fun.
(English isn't my mother language, I apologise in advance for any spelling mistakes and funny sounding phrases)

I am a concept artist and I work mostly with games. A concept artist is a kind of illustrator, but not exactly... Often we have to put someone else's ideas on paper like an illustrator, but it's even more common to receive a really generic briefing like "the game is about a boy and it have puzzles, make it awesome, ok?". So, like a storyteller we not only come up with designs but ideas.

I'm not spectacular or anything, I earn my living and I could be considered one of the good ones of my area, but I seriously think of myself as a student. I'm shit at global level, slow, lost and not really creative. ^^'

Anyway... here goes a bunch of personal works.
Kinda old, but I like it. I played some D&D campaign using her. An anti-hero warlock who actually helped the heroes party... but was, in fact, really as evil as she looked like and was using them reach the target of her revenge. Yay?
tumblr_m68vik8adW1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

The ones below are related to my own story, it's a kind of sandbox that I use to hone various skills.

Here I was trying to pretend that I know how to do line joins (dunno the correct term, it's a kind of technical lineart >.<'). Those vehicles often have bird-like feet and they run to take flight. The most of them aren't designed for long journeys, and this type below is an "interceptor" class, it was created to literally harpoon other of these out of the skyes.

Sorry about the name, it's a placeholder until I think in a better name, and a big lol to my handwriting.
tumblr_med7ytAdFR1rzsagpo1_1280.png

Sometimes I just need to spit out an idea. It's not really meaningful to anyone else besides me.
tumblr_me2qnbMkB21rzsagpo1_1280.png

One of the wisest and most playful (even a bit wicked) characters I've created so far, Doon. Yes, those are real wings. Why not turn the leftovers of your meal into a beautiful outfit?
tumblr_mdno0oaKAw1rzsagpo1_1280.png

I died painting this one. Really...

Ok, I've reached the 4 pictures limit, now I'm going to blend in the internet shadows again.

Nihal

Vala
Thanks The Writer's Realms! Some people say they like my style, yet I've also heard say I lack a style, hahahah! Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.

CupofJoe, I liked the idea so much that it has been with me for years, hah. A vehicle that can literally run appeals for me in a way I just can't understand. I just imagine being inside it while it's taking flight, how it would swing when each leg touchs the ground.

I imagine its pannel with all sort of controls and levers and how you would be able to control the legs manually pulling some specific devices. The design itself is inspired by Leonardo DaVinci's designs (they're pure epiciness), I love the idea of blending nature concepts with science.

... but, well, I'm not settled yet with the general style of this class of vehicles.

More works... :<

Random landscape...
tumblr_mdjc09DCf01rzsagpo1_1280.png

And another random one!
tumblr_mgl6o7Ruw11rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

I passed a whole year drawing things in this style. It's not like I don't like it, but I guess that the short deadlines and the thighness of the lineart made me a bit crazy.
tumblr_mch7gcV77x1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Oh, another running machine! It's a scrap for a game that never saw the light, the briefing was "Create a crazy-looking vehicle for a dreamland. I like the look of different parts and things into one.". Uhm, ok. The fishes are a bonus!
tumblr_m9o33wVOPz1rzsagpo1_1280.png

Jamber

Sage
Fantastic art, just fantastic, Nihal. Bit of Miyazaki in that last one? Beautiful. My favourite though is that long black chamber with the flowing red-trained figure moving through it, so haunting.

Oh, and the little red spaceship one... And the wavy line art one... And the anti-hero warlock...
Actually all of them.
Seriously, they're terrific.
:)

Jabrosky

Banned
The first picture (the one with the "barbarian"-looking warlock) is my favorite by far, but it's all good stuff you have here. :D

Nihal

Vala
I'm glad you liked it!

Jamber, yup, it endend turning in some kind of Howl's Moving Castle. I stole my own idea of bird's feet from the Avis vehicle, and mixing with different elements it ended so... Miyazaki. Well, I like Miyazaki!

It's funny you liked the red cloak one. People usually don't care so much about this one. I like it too, I have a problem with colors, I like to use many many colors and the work usually ends too happy.

Jabrosky, I think I'm going to play using her again. I'm going to change her personality, she won't be evil anymore but gloomy and a bit sarcastic anyway. I can finally get rid of this "unfinished business" feeling and enjoy more a barely used character. Yay!

Oh, well... some more stuff.

Fake fake fake book cover! I like this one, even if it's sketchy. I find black a hard color to use.
tumblr_mch7dfCnFr1rzsagpo1_500.jpg

Sketch... I'm trying to muster some courage to paint this one. He's not supposed to use an armor, but I need to create a gameish demo for my students and armors are a tricky subject, if you overdo the reflections it looks really bad. u.u
tumblr_mfdz70UmB71rzsagpo1_500.jpg

The guy's face.
tumblr_m68vhkNoG21rzsagpo1_500.png

My real life sketchbook. It's a safe haven where I can study real life things and other artists works and design solutions.
tumblr_m65jhraYhg1rzsagpo3_1280.jpg

Nihal

Vala
Two of the first character... One is recent, a lazy doodle to visualize her clothing, the other is older, I've found on my old HD and tweaked it.

tumblr_mhrpobMC9q1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mijhmp5Lpk1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Emo feelings fitting well my awful rolls.

Ok, enough of her. When my hands get better I hope I can go back to the elaborated paintings. u.u

Two of the first character... One is recent, a lazy doodle to visualize her clothing, the other is older, I've found on my old HD and tweaked it.

Emo feelings fitting well my awful rolls.

Ok, enough of her. When my hands get better I hope I can go back to the elaborated paintings. u.u

Really dig your style, Nihal. Thanks for sharing the new images!

What happened to your hands? Are you OK?

Nihal

Vala
Thanks! I'm fine, no need to worry. Tendinitis I guess, in the past I stopped for some days and I would be fine, now it's not going away.

I've already scheduled a visit to a doctor.

Jamber

Sage
"lazy doodle", heavens above -- she looks ready to spring to life. So much energy in your style, Nihal.
Good luck with the tendonitis (if that's what it is).
Thanks again for sharing,
Jennie

Nihal

Vala
It's funny, because I find my style so... boring. Hahaha. I like to draw semi-expressionless characters and such.

Today's doodle. Her temporary name is Rowena, she's an old secondary character from my "sandbox" story. I don't know why she's wearing an armor while holding a flame (??). She's one of the owners of an inn and her weapon of choice is a kind of crossbow. Well, when you get possessed by inspiration you don't ask questions, you just draw. ._.

tumblr_miuqtiWfd81rzsagpo1_500.jpg

P.s.: Went to doctor today, he passed a bunch of exams. Let's see wtf I have.

OGone

Troubadour
Been through your deviantart, in love with your art style and character designs. Thanks for sharing all of these!

It's funny, because I find my style so... boring. Hahaha. I like to draw semi-expressionless characters and such.

Today's doodle. Her temporary name is Rowena, she's an old secondary character from my "sandbox" story. I don't know why she's wearing an armor while holding a flame (??). She's one of the owners of an inn and her weapon of choice is a kind of crossbow. Well, when you get possessed by inspiration you don't ask questions, you just draw. ._.

tumblr_miuqtiWfd81rzsagpo1_500.jpg

P.s.: Went to doctor today, he passed a bunch of exams. Let's see wtf I have.

I'd say this is my favorite I've seen of yours so far. Very cool. Kinda' reminds me of the style Final Fantasy XII had for their characters.

Nihal

Vala
@Ankari
Thanks, sir! I'm still searching for a sweet spot where I can keep it painterly, but not too much.

@OGone
Yay, thank you!

@Zero Angel
I often like the FF franchise designs, although I didn't play a single game of them, hehe.

I'm fine now, the medications prescribed for me are working really well! I'm going to start with physiotherapy too, it seems.

Fun fact: I have no idea of the true colors of the artworks below, I did all of them on my laptop and the display sucks. I hate pale colors anyway. :D

So, I was practicing random faces and such to train some varied skills. The top two of them are these two portraits, I advanced a little further in these.
tumblr_mj8qp00cYY1rzsagpo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mj8qp00cYY1rzsagpo1_r1_1280.jpg

And... this one. I was painting it, did a stroke of red on the woman's face and thought "Hey, she looks like Delphine!", a character from an anime called Last Exile. So, suddenly, fanart!
tumblr_mjefs72DYy1rzsagpo1_1280.png

Sparkie

Auror
How did I miss all this before?!?

You're awesome, Nihal! Terrific stuff! I could easily see you doing book covers professionally. Hell, if I could finish something literary I'd have you do the art for it. Have you ever considered illustrating a story?

Nihal

Vala
@Sparkie
Thanks!!~~

When a child, as any child, I doodled, but I started to draw again when the fourth Harry Potter book came out. I loved the covers, so, yeah, you can say I wished to do covers, haha. Unfortunately there aren't so many fantasy writers around here (willing to pay, at least. They love to offer "divulgation" xD), so I stuck with games, which is an awesome area too.

@JoseVega
You should create an topic with some of your works. Don't forget the dragon heads, I fell in love with their designs. ^^

@Zero Angel
I'm always picking some points out of my comfort zone to draw. This one was this angle, and hair rendering.

I'm starting to pick up again with my daily routine. I was really down in December-January, but now I'm fine. Yay!

--
Update. A 30min speedpaint made after the storm last night. I'm really comfortable with grasslands now, they're a great thing to paint to relax. In a real work this would be the first stage only.
tumblr_mjg732fk6K1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg