• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Game of thrones-movie?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've read for awhile now the ultimate goal was putting the series finale on the big screen, as a two hour feature film.

I think that's more than feasible considering the show's popularity. People won't want the ending spoiled by other viewers, so I'd expect a high turnout at the box office early on.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've only seen the first two or three episodes of the TV show, but based on those episodes I propose re-naming the film Daenerys' Breasts.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've only seen the first two or three episodes of the TV show, but based on those episodes I propose re-naming the film Daenerys' Breasts.
There was as SNL sketch not long ago, where GRRM hires fifteen year old boys to direct the episodes. That would explain the massive amount of nudity well... but I don't mind, so I don't question it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'm not a great fan of GoT, I haven't read the books but I have seen the first 2 seasons [and that hasn't made me want to read the books].
I hope they don't make a Movie.
I can't see what it would add. The look and scale is epic enough on TV, all you would really get is larger CG'd battles and maybe a few more Dragons... cool to look at but not really adding to the story.
I don't think that long form stories are best for making in to films. Too much is usually culled to make them fit the 120min length
At least thanks to PJ at least we can now get 180min films [and I still missed Tom Bombadil from LotR :(].
There are a lot of short stories and novellas, independently published that could be ripe for translation.
I can't wait for someone to make the 50 Shades of Grey leap from e-book to film.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The trailer for that is already available, I believe.
Oh... I'm never going to see the film/watch the trailer [I have read about 20 pages - for academic reasons... and that was enough] but I like/appreciate the way it's has moved from fan-fic to self pub to trad pub to film [there is probably a comic/graphic novel out there too]...
I think there are a lot more deserving [and dare I say, better written] stories out there waiting to be found [I've read a couple courtesy of this site].
It looks like the "Studio" model seems only to wait for someone to pitch them a best-seller from a major printing house.

I don't see a need to make a movie based off Martin's works. HBO is doing just fine with the show. However, if the public wants something set in Westeros, then I'd propose doing a sort of prequel movie about the rebellion against the Mad King and Robert's ascent to the throne. I'd watch that.

SeverinR

Vala
I agree, but again, I don't see Martin having time to write a movie.
Maybe the "Rise and Fall of the Mad King?"
Or maybe the movie of Castamere? (Then it would not conflict or have to try to make the GOT cast look younger.)