• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Mythopoet

Auror
Did you watch it dubbed or subbed?

I tried to watch the first episode a while back, but was turned off by it. I don't remember why. Though I didn't know Miyazaki was involved... I'm a huge fangirl of his. I hate Anno though. I'll never forgive him for Evangelion. It looks like Miyazaki was involved in creating the concept, while Anno directed it. That creates a huge conflict for me... my favorite storyteller's minimal involvement vs. one of my most hated storyteller's intimate involvement...

Well, I might give it another try.

It's actually a pretty commercial kind of anime, at least compared to full-on Miyazaki or how twisted Evangelion gets. You see the Miyazaki look (and sometimes feel) now and then, but it's more its own fun little experience than anything you'd know from its parts.

acapes

Sage
Did you watch it dubbed or subbed?

I tried to watch the first episode a while back, but was turned off by it. I don't remember why. Though I didn't know Miyazaki was involved... I'm a huge fangirl of his. I hate Anno though. I'll never forgive him for Evangelion. It looks like Miyazaki was involved in creating the concept, while Anno directed it. That creates a huge conflict for me... my favorite storyteller's minimal involvement vs. one of my most hated storyteller's intimate involvement...

Well, I might give it another try.

Watching the sub, Mythpoet - I found the translation better and the English language cast not as good, basically. I've compared half a dozen episodes now and I'm more than happy to stick with the original voice actors etc yeah

I'm nearly up to the episodes most folks skip, and it's a pretty good series overall. Some dark moments but a lot of humour to balance it out. (No-where near as dark as Neon Genesis.)

Yep, I think that sums it up - Miyazaki was not involved very much when you get down to it, but if you're game, this series has a bit more in common with Nausicaa and and Laputa perhaps, than Neon Geneis I reckon.

Interested to see what you think if you give it another shot :)

acapes

Sage
It's actually a pretty commercial kind of anime, at least compared to full-on Miyazaki or how twisted Evangelion gets. You see the Miyazaki look (and sometimes feel) now and then, but it's more its own fun little experience than anything you'd know from its parts.

Ah, that's interesting - I'm finding it darker than Miyazaki so far :) By 'full-on' Miyazaki vs 'commercial anime' what do you mean there in terms of differences? Like, the depth of his storytelling?

And I agree, there's a lot of fun stuff in the series so far (I'm at ep 20) and it's definitely got it's own feel.

It's been a while since I've seen Nadia, but I wouldn't describe it as as deep as the Miyazaki we know-- but then again, it's got a whole series to work with instead of two magnificent hours. Tomayto, Tomahto.

acapes

Sage
It's been a while since I've seen Nadia, but I wouldn't describe it as as deep as the Miyazaki we know-- but then again, it's got a whole series to work with instead of two magnificent hours. Tomayto, Tomahto.

True - but as you know, there is the unfortunate 'island episodes' dragging Nadia down :(

But let me know if you re-watch it one day, love to have a chat about the series!

acapes

Sage
I'll have to look for the subbed version. I'm pretty sure the dub turned me off.

I understand - I couldn't get into Jean's French accent with the most recent dub. But again, I compared a few key scenes from various episodes and still like the original voice actors' performances better.

Just finished the series the other night and it had a pretty satisfying ending - some episodes worth skipping though - ones the studio sort of forced upon the production team.