• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Stranger Things

I absolutely loved the new Netflix show Stranger Things.

The directors openly admit to being inspired by Spielberg, Stephen King, and John Carpenter, and the 80's throwback vibe is strong in this one.
(Plus, am I the only one to catch the hilarious Harry Potter nod? If you didn't catch it, look for a lightning bolt.)

For me personally, the E.T. references were strongest probably. And Stand by Me, at one point. The King and Carpenter influences are strong also. But there's so much 80's goodness, and the heavy emphasis on D&D was so wonderful. But the story stands on its own I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
My wife and I liked it quite a bit. And with the reviews it's getting and the way it ended, I'm hoping it gets more seasons.

I haven't seen most of the movies it pays homage to, but I'm glad it does. That's the kind of thing I enjoy when I notice. The E.T. homage in the beginning was extra suspenseful once I recognized it.

That initial E.T. homage was very creepy. Almost like, What if E.T. hadn't been a feel-good movie? I think it's interesting how combining the various influences led to an almost alternate universe for each.

Last edited:

Trick

Auror
Just finished it tonight. Very happy with Netflix right now. My wife is not the reading enthusiast I am but in the opening scene of the first episode I said, "This feels like Stephen King." and she agreed. Looking forward to season two.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Hubby and I are loving it. He's a massive Speilburg fan and picked up on that vibe right away. We are also both children of the 80's and are digging the nostalgia (Dark Crystal poster anyone?)

troynos

Minstrel
We just finished it tonight. Phenomenal. One of the best.

It's been announced that there will be a season two.

Not sure how they can top this.

Tom

Istar
I haven't had the time to finish it, but it's a great show. I love the cinematography--it gives the show such a gloomy, tense atmosphere. I like how it's just as much about relationships as it is about monsters and telekinetic little girls.

I absolutely loved it. My only gripe (a small one) is that at some points I got kinda tired of the shot for shot references to other films. I love all of the 70's/80's influence, but there are some points where it was teetering on the edge of just being a remake. But overall, I really enjoyed it!