• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Top 10 Favorite Shows Of All Time?

What are they?

Mine:

The Wire
Oz
Homicide: LOTS
Mad Men
The Twilight Zone
Babylon 5
Star Trek (is it cheating if I say every version but Enterprise?)
Breaking Bad
The-X Files
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Let's see... I cannot name a favorite, as to me favorite would be singular... but here are some thoughts on shows I appreciated... with no favorites, as I cannot decide! :)

Firefly was a very well done series
Strange Luck was great conceptually, flickered out in practice
Haven is starting to tug my strings, as is Fringe
Community has brilliant writers

Who else has some they'd like to share?

Oh, Graffikgal, I must admit I like Buffy and all Trek but Enterprise too...

f00fc7c8

Acolyte
What are they?

Mine:

The Wire
Oz
Homicide: LOTS
Mad Men
The Twilight Zone
Babylon 5
Star Trek (is it cheating if I say every version but Enterprise?)
Breaking Bad
The-X Files
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

My taste in television shows changes from year to year; right now, I've been enjoying these shows:

Burn Notice
The Walking Dead
ST:TNG (never really got into TOS, but I really enjoyed Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise)
House
Human Target
Buffy (One of my favorites from younger days)
Babylon 5
X-Files
Highlander (It is sort of lame now compared to newer shows; it was highly entertaining back then)
Ice Road Truckers (totally lame / scripted / whatever, but I will still watch it)

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Highlander was great back in the day... I can't get into The Walking Dead, as the graphic novels are SO awesome the TV doesn't do justice, good calls.

My taste in television shows changes from year to year; right now, I've been enjoying these shows:

Burn Notice
The Walking Dead
ST:TNG (never really got into TOS, but I really enjoyed Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise)
House
Human Target
Buffy (One of my favorites from younger days)
Babylon 5
X-Files
Highlander (It is sort of lame now compared to newer shows; it was highly entertaining back then)
Ice Road Truckers (totally lame / scripted / whatever, but I will still watch it)

kjjcarpenter

Minstrel
These are going to be in no specific order, and I know not if I can even make up to ten for I do not watch much television, but I shall try.

"LOST", for it's unrealistic setting combined with overwhelmingly believable characters that captured me from beginning to end.
"The Legends of Treasure Island", for it's take on Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island", replacing the main characters with anthropomorphic animals and despite being a children's show, having a beginning, a middle and an end.
"Gantz", for it's care to story and the feeling of six degrees of separation spread throughout.
"Red vs Blue", for it's entrepreneur style of storytelling, albeit technically a web-series.

And for now, that's all I can think of. If I think of others, I will post them!

kjjcarpenter

Minstrel
That's the sad truth. Although it is rather two-dimensional and focuses more on comedy than the story, it's still entertaining and provides an experience much better than what's on most television channels. I applaud Burnie Burns for that. It also inspires me to press forward, no matter how small your budget or how you tell a story, people will watch, or listen, or read it; you just have to get it out there in one form or another. There is an audience for everything.

geekluv

Dreamer
1: House
2: Doctor Who
3: Torchwood
4: Community
5: BBC Reveals
6: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (used to be Mystery Science Theater 2000)
7: The Soup
8: Red Eye
9: CSI: Miami
10: The Office (BBC version, not the USA version)

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
My all-time favorites include:

The Wire
Lost
Black Adder
Sons of Anarchy
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Deadwood
Justified

The Walking Dead

It's been years since I've seen Highlander the Series, but I have very fond memories of it. The first season or two were rather lame, but once it hit its stride - it rocked. I used to hang out on a newsgroup where the show's head writer (Gillian Horvath, I think) posted frequently. She was an incredible storyteller.

I've been hearing good things about The Walking Dead. Is it frightening, or more action oriented?

Last edited by a moderator:

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Walking Dead is a realistic view of what would happen in a zombie apocalypse. I know that's what "ALL" zombie movies are like, but this is a more believable and frankly better written series. Well, the graphic novels are anyway, the show is taking a few liberties with reality that I do not appreciate for "faster plot movement". The graphic novel is content to leave the character to develop with each other, and the zombie's are more "background" where the show seems to focus on the zombies a bit much.

Oh, Geek, The Soup is awesome! Though I do not have TV, just netflix and hulu, so I don't get it... :(... I just get the shorts... but I love Joel!

geekluv

Dreamer
I miss the days when John Henson AKA "Skunk Boy" was the host of The Soup, but that was when it was called, "Talk Soup".... I miss those days.... I'm still ticked off that Comcast which owns E!, won't show their past episodes on Comcast OnDemand & DirecTV's OnDemand. Not into watching TV shows on my computer via internet.

Oh, Graffikgal, I must admit I like Buffy and all Trek but Enterprise too...

Enterprise really didn't *feel* like Trek, did it? I tried to get into it, but it just never worked for me.

Hey f00fc7c8!

Looks like we watch some of the same shows.

I've been watching Walking Dead, too. I think it could be better, but I want to see what's gonna happen, so I keep tuning in. I'm really wondering how they're going to keep this show going. Zombies aren't exactly complex. There's not too much you can do with them. The show is going to need to be very character-driven, and so far I don't think the characters are that interesting. Maybe it'll get better next season.

kjj,

Lost had one of the best cast of characters ever. Great work on the part of the writers there. The characters were extremely compelling.

f00fc7c8

Acolyte
Highlander was great back in the day... I can't get into The Walking Dead, as the graphic novels are SO awesome the TV doesn't do justice, good calls.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. I didn't realize it was a graphic novel until after I watch the first couple episodes- after that I was hooked.

If you like graphic zombie novels, take a look at Zombie 2012. It is an online graphic zombie novel that is based on the end-of-the-world 2012 scenario.

These are going to be in no specific order, and I know not if I can even make up to ten for I do not watch much television, but I shall try.

"LOST", for it's unrealistic setting combined with overwhelmingly believable characters that captured me from beginning to end.
"The Legends of Treasure Island", for it's take on Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island", replacing the main characters with anthropomorphic animals and despite being a children's show, having a beginning, a middle and an end.

I watched LOST for about 3 or 4 episodes; I just was like WTF and couldn't watch it any more..

1: House
2: Doctor Who
3: Torchwood
4: Community
5: BBC Reveals
6: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (used to be Mystery Science Theater 2000)
7: The Soup
8: Red Eye
9: CSI: Miami
10: The Office (BBC version, not the USA version)

I introduced my wife to MST3k. She <heart>'s it now. She always says, "We should do that!"

It's been years since I've seen Highlander the Series, but I have very fond memories of it. The first season or two were rather lame, but once it hit its stride - it rocked. I used to hang out on a newsgroup where the show's head writer (Gillian Horvath, I think) posted frequently. She was an incredible storyteller.

I've been hearing good things about The Walking Dead. Is it frightening, or more action oriented?

That would be awesome to directly converse with a writer. I don't remember seeing many of the first episodes, but the last few seasons were pretty smokin'..

The Walking Dead is more action oriented, but it also has some frightening 'oh crap' scenes. It is probably not what most people would do during a zombie apocalypse (I am guessing most people would scream and be turned into a zombie), but it was what I would do.

Hey f00fc7c8!

Looks like we watch some of the same shows.

I've been watching Walking Dead, too. I think it could be better, but I want to see what's gonna happen, so I keep tuning in. I'm really wondering how they're going to keep this show going. Zombies aren't exactly complex. There's not too much you can do with them. The show is going to need to be very character-driven, and so far I don't think the characters are that interesting. Maybe it'll get better next season.

I heard that they were trying to write the next season a bit different. I think the show is trying to follow the group to see what they will do to survive. I hope the group meets up with the man & his son that the sheriff met in the beginning..

kjj,

Lost had one of the best cast of characters ever. Great work on the part of the writers there. The characters were extremely compelling.

The characters were awesome; I couldn't follow the plot jumping around though.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I introduced my wife to MST3k. She <heart>'s it now. She always says, "We should do that!"

Oh yes, this one is playing in my house quite a bit these days. My wife is addicted to it.

Juiceman

Scribe
I don't really watch much from today's network broadcasts; they just have no appeal to me when I even see the commercials, and they are designed to draw viewers to a given show.

My favorite shows include: Hogans Heroes, Dukes of Hazzard, Glenn Beck, Red Eye, Ghost Adventures, The Haunted, Conan O'Brien & Leno (both for monologues and skits only), Mythbusters, Modern Marvels, Survivorman, etc.

The ghost programs really appeal to me, as my family and I live in a house haunted by a woman who practiced witchcraft in the house. Luckily, we have not had any problems in a very long time after the woman was vehemently told to leave the house and let us alone. Of course, the house blessings by our parish priest have been the most help.

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Enterprise really didn't *feel* like Trek, did it? I tried to get into it, but it just never worked for me.

No, it didn't work at all. For anyone. No Quantum Leap at end of series left me wanting more as well.

I miss the days when John Henson AKA "Skunk Boy" was the host of The Soup, but that was when it was called, "Talk Soup".... I miss those days.... I'm still ticked off that Comcast which owns E!, won't show their past episodes on Comcast OnDemand & DirecTV's OnDemand. Not into watching TV shows on my computer via internet.

I am not the only person who remember's the good afternoons watching Henson! I LOVED IT back then... but oh well... I was also a Craig Kilborn guy too... weird...

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
My favorite shows include: Hogans Heroes, Dukes of Hazzard, Glenn Beck, Red Eye, Ghost Adventures, The Haunted, Conan O'Brien & Leno (both for monologues and skits only), Mythbusters, Modern Marvels, Survivorman, etc.

Hey Juiceman!

I'm not familiar with The Haunted or Ghost Adventures. Are they similar to Ghost Hunters? If so, how are they different?

Juiceman

Scribe
They are, in my opinion, much better than Ghost Hunters. My parents enjoy that show, but it just never clicked for me.

Ghost Adventures (Travel Channel) travels mostly around the US, though they have branched out into a few other country's known sites. They seem to provide a lot more factual information prior to their lockdown. Plus, the lockdowns often provide great captures of paranormal phenomena like EVP and video in a range of wavelengths. I have seen some amazing things on this show, so much that when something really catches my attention, on goes the light above my desk and out comes the holy water, lol.

The Haunted is on Animal Planet, and they always show how the paranormal has affected the home's pets as part of the show. But they have some compelling stories from the human perspective as to things which were seen and experienced. There is a rather small amount of real footage, but for some reason I still like the show.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
The Haunted is on Animal Planet, and they always show how the paranormal has affected the home's pets as part of the show. But they have some compelling stories from the human perspective as to things which were seen and experienced. There is a rather small amount of real footage, but for some reason I still like the show.

That actually sounds interesting. Are animals believed to be more sensitive to the paranormal than humans?