• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

GoT vs. ASoIaF [SPOILER-FEST]

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
If anyone want to discuss Game of Thrones episodes that have already aired and any of the books, feel free to do so here in this thread without the need of spoiler tags. Anyone who hasn't read all five books, don't scroll down!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'll start, though I'm in the middle of book #5, so I know I'm taking a risk. Anyone find it odd that Jaime met with his dad already? Will he attend his son's wedding in the show?

teacup

Auror
I really liked the scene with Arya killing Polliver, but was surprised to see that the Hound wasn't injured. In the books he dies of the infected wounds from that fight, but as far as I could see, he wasn't scratched. Maybe I missed something, though.
I'm looking forward to seeing how he's going to die in the show, or if he's going to survive longer in the show or not.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I believe he was cut. My wife noticed, and unlike us, she wasn't expecting it to be the beginning of Hound's end. They do lull you into a false sense of security as Sandor happily eats his chicken. (At least I think this is the case.)

Arya quoting Polliver and finishing him the way he finished the boy… yes, that was different from the book in a way that was pretty cool. I don't mind a few changes like that. It's nice to have little surprises.

This is my first time watching after reading, which was also a cool experience for me. I just need to keep quiet about some of the other stuff I know. I only told my wife of the wedding… there's so much else I didn't give away to her though. Let's see if she beats another confession out of me…

teacup

Auror
In the latest ep the Hound said that he wasn't a thief - that every man needs a code. Rewind to S3, he stole a cart off some guy to get into the Twins. ._. Just something I found funny.

kayd_mon

Sage
Well I could be remembering it incorrectly, but we don't actually see Sandor die in the book, and aren't there rumors of him leading a band of outlaws? One never knows. In ASOIAF, dead isn't *totally* dead. There are a few zombie characters, so it isn't far-fetched for the Hound to be another.

SeverinR

Vala
In the latest ep the Hound said that he wasn't a thief - that every man needs a code. Rewind to S3, he stole a cart off some guy to get into the Twins. ._. Just something I found funny.
Maybe in his mind he only "borrowed" the wagon? or he doesn't think its stealing to take from the dead.(He wanted to kill the man)

I found Arya's scene on line.(They are better at keeping the show off the net this year. I'll probably only get to see little pieces like this)
The hound had a blade at his throat, only a small cut would be needed to get an infection.

Arya doubled her kills in one scene. (I think she has killed the boy and the man after red wedding.) She also showed little concern over killing either of the men she killed this episode.
The man she stabbed with the hounds knife, I think the only emotion she had there was the "Urkle" emotion. "Did I do that?"

Arya did have a smile on her face while the Hound enjoyed his chicken.

I have not read past book 2, but for me, no spoiler, nor description could ruin the future of the show. If I here of something that I hate*, I will watch to that point and then walk away. (*favorite character getting killed.)
I know a couple people that did that with Red Wedding. They quite watching after that.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Careful, Severin! This is Spoilerville! (Even I'm afraid to click in here, knowing some book 5 stuff will be aired. I saw Dreadfort in the preview (or was it the latest 7-minute HBO special?) and told my wife, "Crap! I just read that part." I gotta finish the book during school vacation!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Watched the first three seasons on disk, caught a few clips of Season 4 (GRRM collects them on his site).

First, in the books, Sandor did not die. He had the amazing good fortune to be found by a healer priest from the monastery near Saltpans. Brienne saw him at the monastery digging graves during her visit, though she didn't recognize him.

That said, I'm intrigued that the scene of Sandor at the inn took place this quickly. That puts Arya in Bravos within the next couple episodes, meaning book 4/5.

So...best guess at this point...the last episodes of this season should feature...

Aegon the Pretender setting sail for Westeros at the head of a mercenary army;

Ayra blinded in Bravos;

Bran finding a very dangerous teacher of magic north of the Wall;

Brienne hanging from a tree;

Cersei setting fire to the Tower of the Hand (or just maybe imprisoned by the head Septon)

Dany under siege in the slave cities;

Davos sitting in a cell;

Jaime setting siege to Riverrun;

Jon cutting deals with the wildlings;

Roose Bolton and his murderous Bastard entering the gates of the destroyed Winterfell;

Sam reaching the Citadel;

Sansa plotting with Littlefinger;

Stannis marching from the Wall to liberate the north;

Tyron captured either by Mormont or by the Slavers;

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I was expecting to see Mrs. Stark hanging people like at the end of book #3 and no more of her than that, but you're probably right that they'll air Brienne's cliffhanger this season.

If they do, I hope I get to find out what word she said. I'm in the middle of book #5 now, and I found it odd when the red priestess "spoke a word." Her word was magic (and Jon and Mance each heard a different word). I don't expect Brienne's word to have been magic. Anyway, students are taking the MCAS test tomorrow, so I'll work my way closer to that Jaime chapter and find out what happened to Brienne be even more confused about Brienne's fate and Jaime's as well.

And yeah, I see Dreadfort is coming soon (next week?), so I really need to finish the book during school vacation, or I'll cease to be ahead of the show!

SeverinR

Vala
Maisey Williams said that Game of throne readers will be surpised in Season 4,
the show will have several points that differ from the book.
Maisie Williams Says 'Fans Of The Books Will Be Confused' In 'Game Of Thrones' Season 4
You may also think you know what's to come in Season 4 of "Game of Thrones," but tough luck because writers David Benioff and Dan Weiss have switched things up.

So reading all the books might not be as important.

They do say the Hound killed Polliver in the book. I think Arya killing him is much better.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I suspect large portions of books 4 & 5 are not going to be filmed.

First, most of these books run in parallel, not sequentially, and second, there's not that many intense action points. Tyron and Bran, for example, spend most of their time traveling. Briennes first stab at finding Ayra is a sort of novella that could be cut altogether. And so on.

There have been deviations already. Most notably: the television version of Dany's adventure in Quarth is totally different from the book version (no coup, plus she enters the House of the Undying willingly, and see's an entirely different set of visions while there).

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Better this thread than the other, I suppose.

Joffery is dead already...at this rate Tyron will loose his trial by combat within the next episode or two, and be shipped off across the Narrow Sea by episode 5.

Looking more and more like the last four or five episodes of this season will be drawn from the first parts of books 4 and 5.

teacup

Auror
Joffery is dead already...at this rate Tyron will loose his trial by combat within the next episode or two, and be shipped off across the Narrow Sea by episode 5. Looking more and more like the last four or five episodes of this season will be drawn from the first parts of books 4 and 5.

I wonder what episode 9 will bring, then. Ep 9 is usually the big one - Ned Stark dying (right?), Battle of Blackwater, Red wedding. I assumed it would be Tywin's death, but if you're right then that can't be, unless they change a whole lot of it.
Maybe it will be Stannis defeating Mance's army? I can't remember much else that would fit the big ep 9. Hmm.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I don't expect episode 9 to be the big one this time around. It might be a big one, but not the big one.

They're messing with the order of events. We have Jamie and Brienne at the wedding, and the Bolton bastard is reunited with his dad (book 5) while Joff still lives. But just for fun, here's a possible Episode 9: Brienne will say a word to Caitlyn while Tywin is proving he doesn't shit gold after all, then fade to black as Arya loses her eyesight.

SeverinR

Vala
I wonder what episode 9 will bring, then. Ep 9 is usually the big one - Ned Stark dying (right?), Battle of Blackwater, Red wedding. I assumed it would be Tywin's death, but if you're right then that can't be, unless they change a whole lot of it.
Maybe it will be Stannis defeating Mance's army? I can't remember much else that would fit the big ep 9. Hmm.

I think they said there is several plot climaxes in this season. So not just episode 9 will be big. I would think two or three big shows rather then just number 9.

Interesting...no comments yet about last nights episode? (remember I don't have HBO.)