• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Avengers

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one. I liked the movie a lot (and I'm getting pretty sick of superhero movies, so that's saying something). I think Whedon did a nice job getting some of his witty banter into it, but didn't stray so far afield that mainstream audiences wouldn't like it. The actors all did a nice job. Plus...Scarlett Johansson is in it.

Any of the rest of you seen it yet?

Justme

Banned
I want to see it so bad, I could taste it. From what I've heard it even surpassed Harry Potter

gavintonks

Maester
Really enjoyed it looking forward to iron man3 and batman 3 / saw the first trailer of spiderman but didn't like running as his eyes
looking forward to next star trek and apparently the superman re-make is coming along nicely, heard good reports on th new x-men so would rather watch a good super her than a lot of the bad other rubbish that's floating

JCFarnham

Auror
The set up movies did their job, but barely. Too many of them, too little in the way of stand alone quality. Was it really worth making them just to hype up one film? Huge risk if you ask me. I'm still dubious after all these years. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them, but they all could have been FAR better. It almost didn't pay off.

Avengers Assemble on the other hand? It had Joss Whedon behind it. I shouldn't have to say much more, but by god did it show! I always used to find myself saying "you know, I'm watching this film now I don't give a crap about future promises. Make this one good." For once a super hero movie that did it's job, on its own, and not under the promise of something awesome coming next!

Maybe my expectations where low from all the other dross... but I was a fantastic film all in all. I definitely welcome more of them... in all their mad titan glory haha.

As a side note: I can't talk about this film to the older generation with out the phrase "the avengers" invoking another franchise entirely. If you know what I mean ;)

Telcontar

Staff
Also loved the movie. Joss Whedon is pretty much my favorite movie-maker now, cuz I also recently saw Cabin in the Woods which he had a hand in and loved that too.

I've never been a comic book reader, so I imagine it's not quite the same for me as someone who knows the source material. This one was definitely better than any of the setup movies, of which I've seen Thor, Iron Man, and Iron Man 2. Still need to see Captain America... I hear that was pretty good, and I liked the character in Avengers.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
Loved it, loved it, loved it. The dialogue was sharp, and the characters were so strong. One of my friends mentioned that there wasn't much of a plot, but really, what do you expect when a bunch of super heroes get together? People want to see them smash stuff (and each other). I thought it was phenominal.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
As a side note: I can't talk about this film to the older generation with out the phrase "the avengers" invoking another franchise entirely. If you know what I mean ;)

Yes, and they made a film based on that franchise back in the 90s. I don't remember it being that good, though (the film, not the show).

gavintonks

Maester
who can forget emma peel. Johannah lumley and mr steed hahhahahaha
I think the back movies were a cost fcator as it costs such huge amounts of money was a good way to develop and get money in for each step to not only finance but ensure all the software etc was in place already.
The set was the transformers set and software in the climax and parts of star trek, which saves many millions of dollars in development

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Tight movie. Every character got a moment. Every character mattered and what they did mattered. Just shows you can have the flash and dash AND a story and make big big bucks. This isn't just a good superhero movie. It's a good movie, period.

Although, it could have used a few more Ms. Peel high kicks from Black Widow, and a few more bowler hats and umbrellas.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I really hope to watch Avengers with my sister this Thursday in 3D... and next weekend, Battleship! XD!!

I've seen Avengers twice now..In Denver on opening night, here in Iowa on Tuesday with my wife, and with a 3rd viewing coming on Saturday when I take my oldest son to see it for part of his birthday. ;)

Yeah, I guess it's OK. ;)

Top notch movie, all the way through.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
I have to say though, going see it at the midnight premiere was almost as much of a nerd-fest as when I went with my ex to get his Halo game at the midnight release. Not quite, but pretty close.

Ghost

Inkling
I don't like superhero movies much, apart from a couple of X-men movies. I actually liked this one. It was entertaining in all the good ways, and I actually liked Captain America and the Hulk. I didn't expect to because I always thought those guys were cheesy.

Saw it, loved it. It is exactly what you want out of a superhero movie. It was funnier than I expected with some really great action scenes. Plus, I thought the acting for the most part was very good. You have to love Downey and Chris Evans did a really good job. Chris Hemsworth (I think) was much more believable this time than he was in Thor. Renner, ScarJo, and Ruffalo were all great as well. One thing that really surprised me was how well they did Hulk. I've never been a big Hulk fan but I really enjoyed the Hulk scenes in this movie, at least near the end. Don't go expecting a deep, moving story. Go expecting to have a lot of fun.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It was a great film.

It lacked the deeper character development you saw in Captain America or Spiderman, but there was still as much development as you would want from a team movie. The action and the banter were very well done. Whedon, I think, silenced anyone who still doubted his abilities with this movie.

If action and banter are what draw you to a movie, then this was definitely one of the best movies of its type in all time.

Last edited:

Ophiucha

Auror
I thought it was very well done, particularly given what there was to work with. Most movies can't handle a whole load of main characters, but I thought they pulled it off nicely. And I'm jonesing for a Hulk film with this guy in it; he's much better for the role than either of the previous actors. Could have used more Thor-based humour, though. Thor's film was basically a comedy, but he didn't get much of a chance to do anything but slam things with his hammer in Avengers.