• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Last of Us

I just finished playing The Last of Us on PS4 - it made me glad we chose a PS4 over Xbox One. Woah what an incredible game, a powerful story and voice acting with beautiful visuals and design! The violence is heavy but it is integral to the whole theme of the story. My wife was watching a lot of the cut scenes, something she rarely does in a game, and we both were surprised by the ending, it was very unorthodox and it got us talking a lot afterwards and reading up some online articles/blogs on the protagonist's actions. What came across was that the ending was true to the protagonist's character, his experiences and fundamental spine.

Its rare that a computer game makes me think about human nature and what drives us - other dramatic stories like Mass Effect did not do this for me. It also made me think about the protagonists in the novel I am writing - their spines, their flaws, and the need to be honest in portraying these in conveying the theme rather making them overly heroic and therefore perhaps less human.

I also loved the tropes in the story and how the story was structured dramatically. So I clicked with glee on the TVtropes site hoping to read through the story tropes in the game but unfortunately they were completely swamped by the more numerous gameplay tropes! :mad:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'd like to play the game, though I doubt it will make its way onto PC. I'm not going to get a PS4 to play it, but I'll keep my eyes open for the game.

Yeah I'm looking forward to playing the DLC Left Behind which I've heard is also very good.

We used to have an XBox 360 and I heard about the game from my brother who had a PS3, so I was hopping up and down when my son was given a PS4 as a present from my brother in law. Way to go uncle!!!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'd like to play the game, though I doubt it will make its way onto PC. I'm not going to get a PS4 to play it, but I'll keep my eyes open for the game.

I just wanted to know what the story was so I just watched someone play through the story on youtube. It was presented like a 2-3 hour movie.

WARNING - SPOILERS

I really liked the scenes with Henry and Sam, the Summer episode had such a tragic ending, it was BLAM! and then its a black screen, you're in shock and then its on to Fall. I also liked how they had a suite of quiet moments after the crescendo of violence at the end of each episode so you could reflect on what just happened and what it meant for Joel and Ellie.

For me the game was all about the stakes of daring to love someone in a world of violence (perhaps a metaphor for life in general), how easy it was to lose someone and then what do you have to live for? And yet if you did dare to love the rewards could be so great, they could give you joy even among the horror of life, and the chance to bring renewal and prosperity. In each case the people Joel and Ellie met, living and dead, demonstrated the struggle to love against a tide of loss and threat of death.

If you're going to play the game just wait for the part with the giraffes. Awesome. :)