• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone play the Sims?

Has anyone on here ever played the Sims games as I have. Versions 1, 2, 3, 4 and its spin-off The Sims Medieval. And has anyone ever been inspired to write from playing them as I have been? Especially since each expansion pack brings with it a new supernatural character.

They inspire me without the expansion packs. I use it to design characters and see how their personality traits affect their daily lives. Not sure how accurate it really is, but it gives me something to consider. xD

I have 3 and most of its expansions. I really love the sims, as a bit of a lazy day game. I remember reading a test some guy did where they made a homeless family consisting of a father with anger issues and a shy daughter. The person just watched/ recorded what the sims did and it was pretty emotional stuff. I think the traits could be helpful to see how your characters might interact with one another.

Nimue

Auror
I never played Sims 1, but I had like all of the expansions for Sims 2 and 3, and I loved Medieval, that was a serious time-waster and exactly what I was looking for--it's a shame they didn't add more content to it. Though I think I've put the most amount of time into Sims 4 already, it's a great game--but not as good a simulator as Sims 3, probably because of the decrease in realism and the lack of content yet. As an example of what I mean by that... A while ago, I was on another forum and posted an elaborate 1920's-themed murder-mystery staged in Sims 3 using avatars of forum regulars:

Screenshot-159_zps5d98db2e.jpg

Screenshot-28_zps5e12e85c.jpg

Screenshot-116_zps345b03dd.jpg

D23_zpsf180f428.jpg

I'm 90% an interior design junkie when I play...there are a lot more rooms to that mansion. Pretty sure sign that I had way too much time on my hands in college.

Metanoiac

Dreamer
I use Sims 3 to lay waste to entire days, when I need a brain-break. I never considered using them for character study. Lately I create entire households of evil characters and then watch them hate on each other while I build weird or grand mansions around them.

themomodbot

Acolyte
I don't play the Sims anymore. I bought it just for my little sister to play. She really loves to design the characters, and didn't pay too much attention to gameplay. Lol