• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite MMORPGs :)

Parqstu

Minstrel
I seen someone mention they're favourite MMOs in the Fantasy Games thread, so i thought I'd make this.

So what's your favourite MMORPGs?

Mine would be Runescape.

I'm currently playing Lord of the Rings Online and World of Warcraft, though I used to play Dungeons and Dragons Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Runescape, Guild Wars, EVE Online and Second Life.

World of Warcraft is entertaining from the standpoint of gameplay, but Lord of the Rings Online is nicer for storyline and setting. Maybe it's just because I only just got started playing LotRO that I'm excited about it.

The day that Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out is the day that my social life ends. I plan on taking a three-day hiatus from life as I know it just so I can dedicate it to this game. Not to mention I'm buying a new, high-performance gaming computer specifically for the purpose of playing the game.

I know, sad.

Last edited:

Blue Wizard

Dreamer
I used to play Guild Wars a lot, before the rabid elitism really set in. When it's released, I plan to play Guild Wars 2.

Parqstu

Minstrel
Not to mention I'm buying a new, high-performance gaming computer specifically for the purpose of playing the game.

I know, sad.

Awsome one, Sig.

I've just bought a sofware to make your own world, so on. So hopefully I can have you all playing my MMORPG. For a fee. ;)

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
Planetside and Eve Online.

Planetside had purity of purpose. It wasn't really an RPG, but a MMO shooter. Vehicles, air combat, infantry sieges - when the stars aligned it was an absolute blast, and they did so fairly often. Planetside 2 is in development - can't wait.

Eve Online had some really good things going for it. A dynamic, player-driven world, pretty graphics, player politics (which were not the least entertaining part, believe you me), the list goes on. Sadly, it also had developer corruption, and my 'alliance' got hit with the bad end of it when an enemy alliance straight-up bribed the GM's for goodies to shoot us with. Nothing was done and no one was punished, so I quit.

I demand a lot from MMO's, so few of them ever really get me into them. I played World of Warcraft for a year or two, but even though I adore Blizzard and everything they do it wasn't the right kind of MMO for me. Running the same dungeon repeatedly is not my cup of tea.

I've just bought a sofware to make your own world, so on. So hopefully I can have you all playing my MMORPG. For a fee.

What software was that, Parq?

Planetside and Eve Online.

Though I don't believe I've had any experience with Planetside, my experience with EVE Online was entertaining - up until the grind, and the discovery that you couldn't get out of your ship. The game had some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen before, and the whole "everyone on the same server" thing really impressed me. Being able to converse with an upwards of 20,000 people at the same time was entertaining to me.

I eventually quit because I couldn't really think of anything else to do but mine and go blow stuff up...

Behelit

Troubadour
I started with Everquest about ten years ago. Played that for a year or two then moved to a private server and played for another year. It will always be my first and most memorable MMORPG love.

After that there was Anarchy Online and Everquest 2. Since then I've only played MMORPGS for short amounts of time(I've played many, can't even begin to name them.) I respect Blizzard and don't care for SoE but Everquest > WoW. :) I admit it, I'm biased, but I HAVE tried WoW at a minimum.

Currently playing Fiesta. Its light MMORPG fun.

Janga

Minstrel
The only MMORPG I have played for any amount of time was Runescape. It was fun for awhile but eventually I got bored with spending hours trying to level up my skills. The game servers started to get too crowded too which took away from my enjoyment.

I've played WoW and Runescape but neither really caught my interest. I am currently between mmo's right now but once Star Wars: the old republic comes out all of my social life will be dead.

Playing Minecraft on a private server with members of my PvP guild.

The guild formed on Sullon Zek in EverQuest and has moved through just about every MMO with PvP functionality.
Still have over 1,000 members on World of Warcraft... which I play on alternating months, it seems.
Funny to think that Minecraft might actually be the fabled "WoW-slayer".

Calash

Scribe
City of Heroes. I played for a good 6 years ever since their first Beta release. Had several level 50 characters complete with full sets of IO enhancements. My Fire Tank could go toe-to-toe with nearly anything in the game.

Had to give it up as it was occupying more of my time than I wanted. They are still going strong and every now and then I have to resist the urge to join again ;).

Played WoW for about a year with a guild. Got my Rogue to 60, the level cap at the time, and found that there was not much for the casual gamer at that point.

Jumpgate was my first MMORPG. It is still running, I think for free now. Real time space combat, PvP as the normal, and an economy that could be manipulated if you put some effort into it...a very fun game :)

Telcontar

Staff
I forgot to mention Shattered Galaxy, which was fun as well. MMO Strategy game, sort of. Was fun for a good while, but then they changed up the game balance and flow in order to mainstream it and it lost much of its appeal to me. I think you can play it for free, as well.

City of Heroes gets my nod for best-designed MMO out there.
The combat animations and differences in powersets are well worth it.
Plus, it's the only decent MMO with an excellent pet class (Mastermind, not Illusion Control!)

That's the one that I avoid these days, can easily spend hours with Mids' Character Designer instead of getting work done!

Calash

Scribe
I would spend hours in the Architect designing missions. Some would be published and some were just for my own fun. Giant Monsters vs Arch Villains, then just snap screen shots ;)

Now that I am talking about it......I want to play again....

Hioni

Dreamer
I played Runescape for about... five days. I played Final Fantasy 11 however for years! We only recently decided to quit because of so much guild drama EVERYWHERE on the servers and everyone kept pissing on each other. -___- The RMT's were invisible apparently to the GM's, that or they bribed them, or were other GM's on different accounts.
So now, MMORPG free~ Though I loved Final Fantasy 11 and it'll be my favorite because of the memories of Before the butt holes and their drama.

JBryden88

Troubadour
My favorite happens to be my least favorite: Age of Conan. I loved that game, I love the darker much more brutal setting based on Robert E. Howard's work, but Funcom ruined the community.

drkpyn

Scribe
I played both Guild Wars and WoW for a few years and I must say that Guild Wars is by far my favorite MMO. It just clicked with my gaming style and everything felt right. I am currently playing LotRO and enjoying it, but it almost plays more like a traditional RPG than a MMO.

Behelit

Troubadour
Time is the WoW-slayer. The reason WoW was as big as it was is because it was the first MMO released by a reputable studio in a time where broadband connections were in a significant number of houses; It had concepts like EQ, DAoC, and Asheron's Call to expand upon; It already had its background story from its RTS games. Nothing has replaced it because there hasn't been a reputable studio to release something worthy of making a switch. Not only would it require a game being better, it would require it being significantly better. You have people that are completely comfortable with a game and feel they've invested a significant amount of time and effort and, probably, money into it just to leave it?

I more or less gave up on MMOs because I KNOW there will be nothing new under the sun for a long time. I do have a few accounts strewn across multiple games that I log back into every once in a blue moon to bask in the memories. Speaking of which, I have a lvl 44 Minstrel on LotRO, if anyone plays that I'd be happy to help you out even though I haven't played it in almost a year.

Last edited: