• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do we need a sequel to Shenmue?

morfiction

Troubadour
I just got complete edition of "LA NOIR" and I'm surprised how similar this game is to the old Shenmue games. True, you're not controlling Ryu Hazuki. It's not on Dreamcast or original Xbox (like number two was) but on a computer streaming OnLive (in my case).

Your character picks up items and looks for clues. The view doesn't zoom into first person when he does this, but you can tilt the item around to get a good look at some of its angles. The control is a bit more intuitive. Shenmue controlled with only one analog stick to move Ryu and you couldn't move the camera around at the same time because Dreamcast only had one analog stick. So you were constantly running into walls and obstacles and stuff.
LA Noir has a better draw-distance (whatever that is) so characters don't pop out of nowhere.

The people in the game probably have more realistic hands... though they still kinda look false. In Shenmue, everyone's fingers looked paralyzed and they moved their hands around like they would their feet... hard to explain but the rendering techniques of the time weren't up to par with today's. AH! It's like they had spatulas for hands!

I'm not a fan of GTA games so I was pleasantly surprised how well I could drive in this game compared to the other Rockstar games I played. I barely ran into anything! :D And since I was in control of a cop, I kinda felt bad about every little collision I had with stuff. Didn't want to wreak my patrol car. And commandeering a car makes more sense than "carjacking" one in GTA games.... (Everyone had their doors unlocked??? They seemed too willing to get out of the car...)

If it weren't for Shenmue, such games as we have nowadays wouldn't exist.

Oh, and the interrogation/ investigation / clue checking in the notebook are wonderfully realized in this game whereas in Shenmue you just pushed the action button to talk to someone and had no control of the conversation.

And, well Sega may have gone down the tubes financially but atleast it had made its mark.