• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from Frisco

eliec

Dreamer
Hey everyone

My name's Elie, I'm originally from the Middle East and living now in San Francisco.

I've been writing for years, but never seem to finish any projects. For now I'm sticking to writing short vignettes, character pieces, and poems. I hope one day to publish a multi-part saga.

I've been reading across the fantasy spectrum, and change favorite authors regularly. I like more realistic stories, where magic and supernatural elements still follow rules similar to the laws of physics, but I'll try any book that catches my attention.

So thanks for reading, and I look forward to giving whatever help I can around here.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met eliec
This is a great place to learn and share.
Leap on in when you have half a mind [that's more than most of us can manage]
May I be so bold as to ask where in the Middle East you were?
I have friends and know friendly people from the Turkey and Lebanon to the Yemen and UAE [and lots of places in between]. Even now it's only beginning to sink in how geographically huge and culturally diverse the "Middle East" is for two simple words.
:) [Of course] Please feel free to ignore the question or to tell me to mind my own business.. :)

eliec

Dreamer
Hey there!
I'm from Lebanon, from the Byblos region.
Glad to see that not everyone sees the Middle East as a monolithic block. It seems most people think we all wear turbans and ride camels to work.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hey there!
I'm from Lebanon, from the Byblos region.
Glad to see that not everyone sees the Middle East as a monolithic block. It seems most people think we all wear turbans and ride camels to work.
Thank you for sharing.
I've never been to the Lebanon but it is on the list of places to visit when I can...
[okay and you can blame Google Maps for this but I have to go the the Byblos Wax Museum, right now!!! They have a facebook page - I think everyone need to join right now and "like" this place!]
Once, and only once, I assumed that someone from "the Middle East" was a Muslim - they were from Iraq... I was informed very politely that the Christian church they were a member of was 1000+ years older than the Church of England...
I do want to see the camel racing though - with the remote controlled Robot Jockeys... is that wrong? :)
and I have worn [in fact still do when walking] a kufiya - an eminently suitable piece of desert clothing...
My friends live just of the north of Tyre [which is a fair way from Byblos I know now].
Welcome again. and I hope Frisco is treating you right...

eliec

Dreamer
Thanks everyone :)

The camel races are actually most famous in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, my caffeinated friend. And I am a member of that same Christian church ;) (or a nominal one, at least)
The kufiya is incredibly useful, I know. Always kept one when I went hiking, or doing some yardwork.
Finally, Tyre isn't all that far away. The country is only a 100 miles lengthwise, so nothing can be really that far from anything else

eliec

Dreamer
:redface:Yeah - I was a little geographically inexact there... sorry. Honestly I did know...

No worries :)
I'm just correcting you so that you don't end up taking a flight to the wrong place! Although I'm pretty sure the local food and scenery would more than make up for any lack of camels.