• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

JCFarnham

Auror
Yes, that's right, you guessed it. I'm yet another one of StarConstant's recruitees from "NanoLand" although to be honest I have no idea why I didn't put that in the referal field on sign up. Basically I'm a young writer [I think ;)], final year of university, promised myself to Nano '11 earlier this year so in preparation I'm reading and writing as much as possible. Soooo... here I am!

I've dabbled in both SF and Fantasy, I mean both are perfect for those with active imaginations haha. I'm learning a lot about the craft so to speak at the moment, its kind of scary, but fun times. I've been writing fiction for God knows how long, probably seriously since preteens but for some reason I've never had the guts to try my hand at a novel, or at the very least something long form. But what I'm really into at the moment is worldbuilding.

So thats me.

Greetings!

JCFarnham

Auror
Greetings to you! what aspect of world building do you enjoy? I love maps, myself!

I've only recently gotten into drawing maps [odd I know!]. I think my current obession stems from reading that an author I've read starts most every plot bunnies frolicking by improvising a map on the back of what ever is to hand [can't remember who now mind you haha]. I thought it was a really interesting idea so gave it a go and lo and behold I have my very own prospective novel on my hands just begging to be written. :p

Awesome avatar, JC. Welcome to the fold. Hope you enjoy yourself here. It's always good to meet another weaver. :)

Haha thanks. Though I must admit the avatar was a random choice for asthetic reasons only I'm afraid.

Welcome fellow NaNoLander!

Ahoy there Phil!

Kelise

Maester
Welcome! World building really is fun, I wish I could spend longer on it... but I just get stuck and start writing instead. Maybe you can teach us a few ways to do a lot of world building. I'd be very interested :)

Chilari

Staff
Welcome. Glad to see another NaNoer and another student. I too enjoy worldbuilding. You've probably noticed by now, but there's a whole subforum on worldbuilding, which is awesome. I look forward to seeing your posts in there.

Welcome, JC. I remember hearing that same story, but I can't remember which author did it either. It's a fantastic tool, however. If you just sit there and stare at a map all these story ideas pop up in your head. Especially when you can edit the map to make them work better, lol.

JCFarnham

Auror
Welcome, JC. I remember hearing that same story, but I can't remember which author did it either. It's a fantastic tool, however. If you just sit there and stare at a map all these story ideas pop up in your head. Especially when you can edit the map to make them work better, lol.

I know who it was now. Holly Lisle. I found the link again haha. Awesomely enough she has some pretty good tips on worldbuilding. I should start a thread on that sometime.. :p