• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

No support for writing or authors observed.

At 61 years of age, I don't have as great a luxury of time to experiment with things as I did when I was 21. Because of that, I tend to see involvements and experiences that yield results on a less protracted timeline. For those criteria, and others, I decided to join Mythic Scribes in the hope of showing some of my work and receiving constructive feedback on how to improve a sentence, a paragraph or a story. Perhaps have conversations with other writers and, in turn, offer opinion.

Instead, I seem to have encountered an utter block of silence where a form of selectivity exists for one to receive or benefit from any form of communication at all, never mid the hoped for comments, conversations and possible associations, if not friendships. Really, it's a shame as this website could offer so much more than a wall of silence and an absence of support...

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Old Wild Child
I don't know how to answer this post fully or properly...
I can only respond with my own experiences.
If anything I have found this site very supportive and sometimes a little to verbose upon occasions.
I will admit that [with one or two lapses] I have not posted items for review [I write the way I want and everyone else can bugger off] and I don't usually review other peoples work [for reciprocal reasons].
That said I do like reading what is posted by others. I think I have learned from what I have seen being done better [and sometimes worse] than I am currently capable of.
Rarely have I entered in to conversations with other writers about their or my writing.
This may be true of others here.
I hope your future here is better for you than you have found your past.

Tom

Istar
All you have to do is ask. I'm very happy with Mythic Scribes; I've posted work and gotten feedback that I value and put to good work. Everyone here wants to hear what you have to say. (I'm commenting on your thread because I do.)

Incanus

Auror
Your comments seem largely directed toward the Showcase. I was a bit dissapointed in it myself after I first joined. I was hoping for more of a 'workshop' atmosphere. But I've come to accept it for what it is. I read through the sticky posts at the top to get an idea of how things work, then I commented on 4 or 5 threads there, and then I posted one story. After that, I made comments on at least a dozen items there. My first few received no replies of any kind--I know you're in a hurry, but you have to give these things some time.

I'm wondering: did you comment on anyone else's work? You have to give a little to get a little.

Butterfly

Auror
Learning the craft isn't just about receiving feedback and critiques but about giving them as well. You can learn a lot from analysing someone else's work and really looking at how it can be improved, at what works, at what doesn't work, at word choice, at how they invoke emotion or where emotion can be added, how POV is handled, where it shifts, at pacing, voice, at mistakes. I don't mean just in the showcase, but by also by looking at published works.

If you look at someone else's and actually go beyond platitudes to give a few decent critiques (as in more than 'it flows well'), you will learn a lot for yourself while offering advice to someone else. After all while you analyse, and really look and critique you will spot things that haven't worked, and all of what ytou have seen and learned from doing can be applied to improve your own work.

Besides, who knows? The person you critique might just reciprocate, and honestly I think that would only be a fair thing to ask (even unspokenly) for. It doesn't seem to work that way though. If we all gave a critique for every one we received, there would be a lot more going in if we all worked that way.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Part of the issue with the Showcase may be differing expectations. To me, a showcase is a place to show work, not necessarily one to receive critique, though it certainly can and does serve that function as well. Some writing forums have workshops set up, and they're fairly strictly enforced in terms of having to give critique and commentary before you can post (for example, three critiques for each work you post). You need a critical mass of people willing to take part in order to make that work. I think some people here view the showcase as a sort of workshop and others view it as, well, a "showcase."

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I appreciate you sharing your concerns.

As other have said, the best way to get feedback is to give it first. If you take the time to help others, they will almost always help you in return.

Also, I noticed that your story in Showcase, "A Dark Healing", does not ask for feedback. The instructions for the Showcase forum state the following:

Indicate whether or not you would like feedback, and the nature of the feedback that you wish to receive. If you would like a critique, ask. If you just wish to share your work for our reading pleasure, that is fine.

Please be supportive of your fellow writers, and only offer constructive criticism if asked.

If you don't specifically ask for feedback, people are going to assume that you don't want feedback.

I hope that you find this helpful.

I must admit, I haven't even looked at the Showcase function yet. But I've been really enjoying and finding useful the community and discussions I've participated in.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What Black Dragon said. Give first, then ask. Otherwise, it's a bit like showing up at a party with your guitar, playing, then wondering why nobody cheered. Personally, I've found people here to be friendly, helpful, insightful, and honest. I also recognize they are, for the most part, writers themselves with busy lives. Their time is as precious as my own.

Also, I'm 63, and so what. It's now how old you are, it's how long you've got left, and none of us know how long that is. Also also, take a look at other fantasy forums. I've got a sawbuck says you'll come back here.

I haven't posted my work here yet, but I've been contributing to posts and I've been very pleased how members have responded quickly and warmly my threads and posts. I think I may be one of the verbose posters CupofJoe mentioned!! :D I haven't made friends yet but its early days and I look at it as a long term project to get to know people here and build a network as my writing itself progresses.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I just now saw this (it's NaNoWriMo time, which may also be why people are being silent), but I echo what others have said. I've learned more and more over the years that readers and writers offering to help usually come with asking and commenting. If other people see that you take the time to comment on their work, they'll reciprocate.

I've rarely used the Showcase myself, but that's just a personal choice. I find that Mythic Scribes is a great place with tons of supportive people. I've met some great critique partners here, had fun with challenges, and have met people that I think are some of the coolest I've met.

From the responses on this thread, you should see that people do care a lot about helping if you directly ask for it. Sure, the response might not be overwhelming every time, but sometimes it takes time to get feedback. I find that if you ask for specific feedback, you might yield more results.