• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How did I just realize this is a hobby?

'This' Being World building...

Hello!
I'm a veteran roleplayer and seasoned fantasy gamer. I've started playing AD&D at 9, and Everquest sometime before that. After a decade of DnD I started working on my own world, my own system.. Custom races, Histories, cities, cultures, lands, maps, ocean current charts and fault line maps, a Magic system, Moons, Realms of existence, Other dimensions, 2 suns, more planets, and entire solar system... The details have really taken off.

Rylencia.

I've been working on my world for 6+ years now, at the heart of it, its about a magical world, and the everyday people that live in it. I personaly am not one for epic heroics, and huge war RPs. I like small town heros. I like characters with Flaws. I like the Mundane, the ordinary, with a twist. I love magic used around the house. I love fantasy creatures as pets and friends. I can spend days RPing random town encounters. I have RPs that have been going for Years in real life, and only a few days have played out in the story. I love the details. I love the writing. I have and love dozens of characters.

I don't know many roleplayers any more. My DnD group split up. I have a forum online where I have several RP's going in Rylencia, But I only play with one other person. I'd be totally up for RPing in any other world... I'm more comfortable with one on one RPs. I've never really been on an RP forum before(other then my private one), I'd love to find someone that might want to swap emails? I should be able to respond decently fast most of the time, and Usually write pretty lengthy posts. I'll put a couple posts I've done following.

Thanks for tanking the time to read my ramblings. really though, I'd love a new RP partner. I'm open to most worlds. I'd love someone that wanted to talk about world building and swap ideas.
Ta Bi

Last edited:
As she let out a slow breath the air formed a cloud of fog in front of her face, it slowly floated away and dissipated into nothing. Torches lining the wall were the only Source of light, in the large tunnel. The Small gray cat girl leaning against the wall underneath a small alcove blended in well with the shadows, Her skin tight black outfit furthering ability to sink into the darkness, Her tail flicked back and forth and she twirled a short dagger in her paw.

The underground was alive with people, going up and down the streets, running errands before dinner, or making there way into the tavern to her left to start a night of heavy drinking. Skantra just waited there, her back leaning against the cold, almost damp stone wall of the tunnel, one leg bent with her foot paw also against the wall, she peered through the shadows, her gray eyes piercing through the heavy dark and watching as the other citizens of the underground went along there business. She stood for an hour or so, being disturbed by no one. She watched a rather heavy human women dragging her 5 children along as she tried to get them to there home before night fully settled. she noticed in the far end of the tunnel a dwarven couple bickering in hushed voices for a while before the female stormed off and the husband made his way into the tavern shouting the barkeep for an ale. 5 minutes before night fall, Skantra watched a young Aur'Alkerri, still of toddler age run across the tunnel, followed by her father, The feline laughed silently to her self, then watched the young girl run back the way she came, still evading her fathers long arms out stretched trying to catch her. A third time Skantra watched the child run the length of the tunnel, this time stepping out of her Dingy corner and right in front of the girl. Skantra was barely taller then this child but her sudden appearance slowed the kid down enough for her father to catch her. "Thanks" was all the man muttered as he scurried away and disappeared around the corner.

A few second later, A loud booming echoed through the halls of the underground. the giant Clock tower in the center of the city was ticking off the 20th hour of the day, signaling night fall. Skantra sighed happily to her self, All the children now safe in there homes, it was her turn to roam the city, The families living in the underground, while comfortable enough to walk the street in the dark of day, don't dare leave the safety of there homes when night fell over the tunnels, This was the time The thieves and dealers came out to play. It was as if the last tick of the clock on this hour was a magical spell, the instant the last echo died from the rocky caves and passageways, every dirty, lying, Scoundrel suddenly appeared on the street, People looking for drugs, money, sex, stolen goods, illegal spell components, and other Not so law abiding items could now be found on every corner.

Skantra Strolled down the tunnel she had been stalking, now feeling much more at home, she made her way through tunnel after tunnel, knowing the passageways better then her own fur markings, finally she stood in front of two large wooden door, pushing one open she slipped inside of the entrance room of the Thieves guild. It appeared as nothing more then a large tavern, but Skantra knew deep within the guild sat the King of Thieves, resting in a large throne, surrounded by gold, and liquor, and nearly naked women. Skant slid into a chair she lost her self deep in thought as she imagined her self sitting in that thrown, She rested her elbows on the table. One day, she would be the king of Thieves, and all of this, the entire underground. would be hers.

The four had been walking down the curving, earthy hallway for a while, with no sign of a door, or connecting tunnel. And then, all of a sudden, a gnome appeared. He scampered out of a tunnel in one side, and straight into another. His bulbous nose jammed deep between the pages of an old leather bound book. He did not even notice the strange group of people just to his left.

And then two more, made an appearance, from behind a carved wooden door. These gnomes caught site of the approaching visitors, and started whispering quickly to one another, as the scurried down another hallway.

Only a few steps further along, thee gnomes spilled out into the passage. Tumbling, and pulling, and falling over one another. They shouted vulgarity and threats, and tugged each others hair and ears. In a moment, all three gnomes, noticed they had an audience. All at once, their skirmish died, and they stood in a line, facing the outsiders. Their cloths were torn and dirt smudged, and two of them had blood dripping from their noses.

The Tallest gnome, standing on the right, and the only one who's nose was not blooded, spoke up, his voice was lower then you'd expect it to be, and had an almost authoritative tone to it.

"'Ello There. I'm bein' Bipper, This, my Sister Pipper, and our brother, Dibber. We were just.. uh, rough housin' Sorry to have startled yous. Welcome to Nomfoodle. Come in peace!.. and watch yous head!" Bipper added his last bit of advice as he glanced toward the ceiling into the crouching humans face.

And as quickly as the siblings had appeared, they vanished behind a door. Which Dibber slammed rather aggressively.

Clicking, and whirring, and spinning, and metal grinding on metal could be heard drifting down the hall way for some time now, Made increasingly noticeable in the stunning silence that followed the disappearance of the feisty gang of gnomes.

Alopex, Theresa, and their d(a)emons only had to walk a few minutes more before the tunnel they were in, opened up into an incredibly immense cave. Stories and Stories deep. They were in the Great Hall of Nomfoodle. A egg shaped cavern the gnomes had carved out themselves. floors lined the walls around the edge, with rails, opening each floor, so that if some one leaned over and looked down, they would see story upon story of floors, built deep into the earth, so deep that there was no bottom in site.

Various smaller Halls, And tunnels, and doors lead off this main area, as Nomfoodle sprawled out beneath the country side. In the Center of the Great hall, which was in fact the center of the entire city itself, was built to most intricate, complicated, monstrous piece of machinery, Rylencia had ever witnessed.

It buzzed, and clicked, and droned on as so many mechanisms worked away. Arms extended from it, Cogs of enormous magnitude turned slowly, working smaller gears. Smaller and smaller, some gears were no bigger then a gnomes pinkie finger nail.

If you could see the bottom of this machine, you would know its true purpose. Shovels bigger then if they were made for giant, were digging their way deeper and deeper into the earth. Drills of so many different sizes now laid dormant, waiting to unleash their spinning fury.

From the group position in the Great Hall, what they could see, was that it moved items up and down the levels. Resources, it pulled up from the bottom, supplies it ferried to the lower levels.

Gnomes were EVERYWHERE! Bustling in and out of doorways, up and down stair cases. Some where even hanging on pulley systems attached to the machine its self, covered in grease, and wielding wrenches.

Everything in the city was small, but compared to the ginormous clockwork device, everything else seemed diminutive. Every doorway was short, the ceilings where low. The chairs were small, and the tables were small, the beds were small, even the cutlery was so tiny. Gnomes seemed to have no sense, that any one larger then they might need use of something in their city.

A blood curdling scream cut through the buzzing and chattering that echoed through the great hall. In a single moment, ever set of eyes with the capacity to see were pointed at a single gnome girl, who was now hanging suspended in mid air, upside down, with nothing attached to her. With out the sound of bustling feet, her voice echoed even louder then usual now. "Sorry, I slipped." was all she said, and every other person in the hall, turned, and simply went about their business.

Last edited:
I felt obliged to point out: blood curdling, not blood curtailing (curtail = to reduce or limit)

I've never done any RP before, is it a kind of stream of consciousness imagining? I've done something similar to that, when I was hiking in the mountains with friends, I was telling a silly story about a sponge travelling the seven seas, chasing after a pink, primadonna starfish. I just kept adding and extending the story and, my friends prompted some stuff when I got stuck.

Is that what you do in RP, but then with multiple people alternating the narration?

Yeah pretty much, It's People writing a story together, Each from their character point of view, their actions.. It's a back and forth of reactions.

Surad

Minstrel
It's an interesting concept to work around. Also having a slice of life fantasy is also interesting. After all, between those huge adventures that people have there are always people just living their lives. It's interesting to see how those people react to whatever fantastical stuff that happens around them.

Yup! Most people ask themselves "Is my character to overpowered?" i have to usually ask myself "Is my character too underpowered?"

Nimue

Auror
I've never done any RP before, is it a kind of stream of consciousness imagining? I've done something similar to that, when I was hiking in the mountains with friends, I was telling a silly story about a sponge travelling the seven seas, chasing after a pink, primadonna starfish. I just kept adding and extending the story and, my friends prompted some stuff when I got stuck.

Is that what you do in RP, but then with multiple people alternating the narration?
I don't know that I would call it stream of consciousness, because it should have some deliberation and be at least somewhat polished writing! The idea is to get into the head of your character and immerse yourself in the setting; for that reason, it's often more descriptive than solo writing. You cannot speak for others' character, so there is a lot of reaction as well as action.

I have a huge soft spot for rping, I've been doing play-by-post rps on forums like this for--oh lord, like ten years. I'm so old. o_o I've never played a tabletop rpg, though. I need nerdier friends P:

Anyhow, welcome Tantalumbismuth! That's quite an adventurey post you have there, and your name is an interesting combination of words indeed... If you want a quick fix of rping, try the Character Q&A forum!