• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello! MeanMachine here!

MeanMachine

Scribe
Hello, people! MeanMachine here!

I'm a male of currently 25 years of age. Some things I like to do are reading (mainly fantasy, sci-fi and historical), writing, playing video-games and watching anime/reading manga.

Like much of the members of this forum, I would guess, I'm an aspiring writer of fantasy fiction.

Since I am currently unemployed, and my prospects at a "conventional" job are not looking too bright, I decided to give writing a try. Especially since I got nothing to lose but time, of which I have plenty at the moment. We'll see how the actual writing go.

As for what I am working on right now, if anyone is interested, it is a story set in a world of omnipresent magic, monsters and adventurers, a world in which three continent-spanning empires are on the brink of duking it out for domination. Its a world where skyships fly the monster inhabited skies, a world in which shadowy organisations have far reaching influence.

It's got loads of magitech (like the skyships), flying continents, almost everyone can do magic if they try, though to be good at it (for example, to be of use in a fight) it usually takes lots of work and practice, the monsters are standard fantasy fare (dragons, wyverns, living trees one lumberjack away from going on rampage, a whole lot of giant, magically boosted animals, just a few examples), and the physical setting (food, clothing, architecture, landscape) is based mostly on Mediterranean, middle-eastern, South East asian and a mix of 17th to late 19th century european inspirations.

I'm not aiming for ground breaking originality, nor for anything too philosophical, just for a fun, entertaining story that some (thought I'm hoping for many) people would enjoy reading.

Well, that's all I got for now. I'm here to learn and get to know people, so I'll be getting on with that right away!

Russ

Istar
Welcome aboard MM. Burt Reynolds would be proud. Stick it to the man!

There is a lot of great stuff on this site you might find useful and we look forward to hearing your thoughts on things as well.

Word of caution though, don't take out a mortgage and plan to pay it with your writing income. It is a very tough business to make a living at.

I'm a male of currently 25 years of age. Some things I like to do are reading (mainly fantasy, sci-fi and historical), writing, playing video-games and watching anime/reading manga.

Like much of the members of this forum, I would guess, I'm an aspiring writer of fantasy fiction.

Since I am currently unemployed, and my prospects at a "conventional" job are not looking too bright, I decided to give writing a try. Especially since I got nothing to lose but time, of which I have plenty at the moment. We'll see how the actual writing go.

This feels like reading my own bio. Only I'm a few years younger and not a guy. "Must have 2 -5 years work experience" :cry: If your location poses issues you could try something like Elance. I've been much more successful with finding online work than anything conventional (which I'm either oddly over (or) under qualified for- go figure). Well, it's just a thought in case you're interested.

I'm glad you've come aboard mate. Your project sounds like fun.
Welcome! I think you'll love it here. I know I do!

-Stephanie

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met MeanMachine
Nice to have you here.
[Burt Reynolds? Na!...
Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jones!
Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jo-ones!
Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jones! Vinnie Jones!
Vinnie Jones! VI-NNIE JONES!]

MeanMachine

Scribe
Thanks for the greetings.

Russ: Oh, I am well aware on how though it can be to make a living on writing. But I'm single, no children, and living at my parents for the moment, so I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities, thus if I want to try to get into writing, I figure now is the time. And hell, if it could pay my food, gas, eventual rent to my parents when they retire or even an apartment, I'd consider myself lucky. Anyway, got to have something to offer first, so I better get on to writing :nerd:

CatholicCrow: Thanks for the advice, I'll look that up.

CupofJoe: Sorry, while I know who Burt Reynolds is, but I got no idea who is Vinnie Jones :unsure:

Russ

Istar
Thanks for the greetings.

Russ: Oh, I am well aware on how though it can be to make a living on writing. But I'm single, no children, and living at my parents for the moment, so I don't have much in the way of financial responsibilities, thus if I want to try to get into writing, I figure now is the time. And hell, if it could pay my food, gas, eventual rent to my parents when they retire or even an apartment, I'd consider myself lucky. Anyway, got to have something to offer first, so I better get on to writing :nerd:

CatholicCrow: Thanks for the advice, I'll look that up.

CupofJoe: Sorry, while I know who Burt Reynolds is, but I got no idea who is Vinnie Jones :unsure:

Vinne was a professional soccer player who played that role in a take on the famous Burt Reynolds film (the Longest Yard) called Mean Machine. :smoke:

Reaver

Staff
Welcome to The Scriptorium! Thanks for being a part of the community. I hope you find everything you're looking for here.

MeanMachine

Scribe
Hey m'maaan! Looking forward to hearing some of your sweet plump juicy sensual tender sexy work.

Ha, huh, sure thing, man. Sorry, can't really tell if you're serious (about looking at my work) with the way you worded it.

I've made some steady progress on world-building and story development for my work recently, tough.

Last edited: