• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey everyone!

ddmealing

Dreamer
Hi folks. Just got connected to this community and I'm excited to get to know as many of you as I can.

Three years ago I hadn't written a word of creative fiction. Now I'm rep'd by the fabulous and inimitable Sam Morgan @ JABberwocky (my dream agency) and in the process of finalizing a three-book deal with Orbit to release my first novel in 2017. I write epic fantasy of the doorstop variety; my first novel is 212,000 words, with the sequel well on its way to 250,000+. The pitch for that series is 'french revolution with magic,' but it's more sweeping heroic epic than flintlock or grimdark fantasy - think Sanderson rather than McClellan or Abercrombie.

I've been humbled every step of the way as I've connected to more and more folks in the writing community, and I still have *lots* to learn. I'm married to Lindsay Mealing, a lit agent with Emerald City Literary, so I've learned about the publishing side as a spectator too. It's a hell of an industry. So many great people.

I suppose that's it for now. Happy to answer any questions about my background or writing experiences, or just exchange hellos as I dive into the rest of the site.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met ddmealing
Good to have you here.
Sounds like an interesting setting.
Share what you know and learn what you need.
Take the high board and jump right in...

Hi folks. Just got connected to this community and I'm excited to get to know as many of you as I can.

Three years ago I hadn't written a word of creative fiction. Now I'm rep'd by the fabulous and inimitable Sam Morgan @ JABberwocky (my dream agency) and in the process of finalizing a three-book deal with Orbit to release my first novel in 2017. I write epic fantasy of the doorstop variety; my first novel is 212,000 words, with the sequel well on its way to 250,000+. The pitch for that series is 'french revolution with magic,' but it's more sweeping heroic epic than flintlock or grimdark fantasy - think Sanderson rather than McClellan or Abercrombie.

I've been humbled every step of the way as I've connected to more and more folks in the writing community, and I still have *lots* to learn. I'm married to Lindsay Mealing, a lit agent with Emerald City Literary, so I've learned about the publishing side as a spectator too. It's a hell of an industry. So many great people.

I suppose that's it for now. Happy to answer any questions about my background or writing experiences, or just exchange hellos as I dive into the rest of the site.

Hello! And congrats on your book(s)! Three years into writing and already getting a book deal...wow. That's pretty incredible. Most of us spend 10 or 15 years refining our craft before we find success, I'd say. Welcome to the community!

Russ

Istar
Congrats on your publishing success. It is always a pleasure to hear success stories and people having a positive experience with publishing. You are with a great agent and publisher, the sky is the limit for you.

Is your book available for pre-order yet?

Also all the best to your wife on her new career as well.

I am also curious is Orbit publishing you just in North America or overseas as well?

If you are going to the World Fantasy Convention this year let me know and I will drop by and say hi.

Last edited:

ddmealing

Dreamer
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'm on the fence about world fantasy - good chance I will be there, but I haven't booked it yet. I will be at worldcon next month though, always love a chance to connect to folks face to face.

Orbit has world english rights, and I already have a UK editor working with me on the book. Still working on sales in other markets... and not yet available for pre-order, though I will certainly be shouting from the rooftops when it is.

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
Greetings ddmealing,

Looking for others to socialize with as well. Without people like yourself to talk to all I have is my Muse to keep me company.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the scribes!

This is a fun and fantastic community, and we have so many good people who are at different places on their journeys. It's always nice to meet people who have different experiences.

Glad you could join us, and hope we can help you on your journey!