• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings fellow scribes!

I just recently joined MScribes after a friend of mine heavily praised the site. When I first checked it out a few months ago, I found the articles fairly helpful, but not enough to bowl me over. After he suggested I check out the forums, however, I was very impressed and surprised at how many intelligent writers and aspiring writers there are on here! It's a bit intimidating at first, but when it comes down to it, we're all here because of a shared love for the craft. And with the interaction between everyone, there's no lack of good ideas or potential for growth as a writer.

I love fantasy writing, but have never ventured into it personally. The immense amount of work to create the world, languages, histories, races, etc.. is both intriguing and daunting. My first love is Science Fiction. I confess I haven't read that many novels, I would rather write than read. But I intend to read more in the future because I know that it can definitely open you up to new ideas as well as improve your writing.

I am currently working on a sci-fi novel but am still in the preparation stages. I sometimes have a very difficult time getting past this stage, where I am struggling to put all the pieces together. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Also.. how many of you have music playing in the background to help in your writing? I do that often, but I have probably more unusual taste in music than most people on here.

Anyhow, glad to be on board. Looking forward to conversing with you all!
-Phil

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Welcome here, Phil! Glad you could join us. :)

I love listening to music while I write. I have playlists of songs that go along with certain stories, and I love finding songs to add to them.

I know exactly what being stuck in the preparation stage feels like. I don't write sci-fi, but I think that feeling is the same no matter what genre you're in. I find it helps to just buckle down and write *something*, and then work on the rest of the pieces as you go.

Thanks Ireth. I know what you mean about songs that go with certain stories... I had a song in particular that you really couldn't understand much of it, but it put you in the right frame of mind to go with the novel I was working on. It was a story that I worked on for years, but "canned" it because I had learned about similar stories that made mine seem almost like a copy or clone.
And I think you're exactly right about just getting into it, putting words down and letting the story form naturally. I'm just such a control freak, I like to know exactly how the whole story should go!

Rikilamaro

Inkling
I greatly enjoy listening to music while I write, and don't be too quick to assume that the people here don't listen to the things that you do.We're a pretty eclectic group. Check out the "What are you listening to?" thread in Chit Chat to see what I'm talking about. I tend to let my music drive my scenery as I'm writing. I hate prose, but finding the right song to put my brain in the mood always helps.

I'm a control freak too. Often I have to have a mental plan of what happens when before I'll start writing. Then again, other times I just sit down and let it flow. Depends upon my mood and how hard I'm avoiding reality. :)

I hope you'll like it here. :) Let us know how we can help.

Thanks Rikilamaro, I appreciate the welcome words. So far, I really like it here on MScribes... sooo much talent!

finding the right song to put my brain in the mood always helps.

For sure! I listen to an internet radio station that has some of the most unusual stuff: SomaFM. To give you an example, I was working on a story that involved a man that got transformed into a horrible beast (I know... real original.. haha). But go to grooveshark and find a song called "Ulezak" by Mauxuam. It's quite a strange song, but parts of it, you hear what sounds like a man-beast letting out an agonizing yell that really seems to portray the mood I was going for in that novel.

Welcome Phil, I'm glad you have joined us. Sadly I'm the kind of writer who struggles to focus with music in the background, but I do draw a lot of inspiration from music, sometimes a piece of intrumental music alone is enough to ignite an idea for a setting in my head.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hello and welcome.

This is a great group, and I can honestly say I've made some wonderful friends here. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks Anihow and Aidan of the tavern... glad to know you.

struggles to focus with music in the background, but I do draw a lot of inspiration from music, sometimes a piece of intrumental music alone is enough to ignite an idea for a setting in my head.

I admit that sometimes, music is more of a distraction than a help to me. I think that it especially comes in handy when you are sitting there mulling over your story; it can provide that spark of inspiration. Mainly, I can concentrate best with instrumental music (or very few words).

JCFarnham

Auror
Being a musician myself you'd have though I'd be well used to having music playing in the background (and indeed I hate absolute silence when I'm working) but for some reason I never reach for my music collection before writing. Occasionally I'll have been listening to something anyway and just flow into editting my novels, but it's strange really. I suppose in a way I'm predisposed to concentrating on the ins and outs of the music rather than the writing ;) Not helpful right!

Welcome to Mythic Scribes, mate. Enjoy yourself!

Thanks JCFarnham. And I can understand from your point of view as a musician, it would be harder to "blend" the two. I guess whatever way works, go with it.

Phin Scardaw

Troubadour
I am currently working on a sci-fi novel but am still in the preparation stages. I sometimes have a very difficult time getting past this stage, where I am struggling to put all the pieces together. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Also.. how many of you have music playing in the background to help in your writing? I do that often, but I have probably more unusual taste in music than most people on here.

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the Pen House (not to be confused with the Pent House) where we write of swords that are mighty only because we penned them that way.

Every writer has different methods, and you will find that even your own methods change over time. I have specific playlists that I listen to (usually in loops that annoy my roommate) so that I can really ride the cerebral wavelengths I want while working on a particular story.

Planning is good, and a lot of writers find it not only very effective, but essential. If you just take off into your story without a roadmap, there's a very good chance you'll get lost and will need to do some major overhauls. There is of course a danger in over-planning, and some writers find that a heavy outline will syphon too much of the magic from the actual writing.

I recently discussed this issue with a saxophonist in the piano bar where I work. He asked if I planned much, and I told him there are specific landmarks I aim for - but I never end up taking the path I expect to reach them by! I told him that it's like a musician who can read music but can also improvise with their instrument and play jazz. Both skills are indispensable and probably the greatest artists are those who can execute both seamlessly.

Ireth is right: just write! You must have faith in your story, and believe that it will take you where it needs to go. Your writing is your boat, which you direct; but the story is the river, and it knows which way to flow.

Think of what Cobb says in "Inception" when he describes shared dreaming. He says that our minds create and perceive reality simultaneously. That's kind of what writing is like. You're painting on the sky while standing knee-deep in your subconscious. Grab a brush and get to it!

Last edited:
Thanks Phin Scardaw... you make some good points. Over-planning can be almost as bad as not planning enough. I think that if you can walk that fine line of creating a "vague" outline, keeping it loose, you'll do ok. I think I over-compensate now when I write because in the past, I just steam-rolled my way through novels, very little planning or idea how it would turn out. It didn't take long before I wound up in disaster. While you don't want to take away inspiration and creativity, you do need to at least have a decent overview or roadmap to keep from getting lost.

Klee Shay

Troubadour
If you're going to paint the sky, please put down a drop-cloth. Am I the only one who cares about the carpets? :stomp:

Welcome to the site. :D