• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Marketing Your Series: a Plan for a Solid Launch and Sales for Years to Come

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Great points here. I especially like the idea of not promoting your first book so heavily because you don't have any other books to buy yet. Having 3 or 4 books on stand-by is certainly a good plan. That way once your first book is released, you can release the others and let them build off each other.

Lots of other great stuff here as well. I may have to go through this and comment later though because it's my writing time. :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I like this as well… but wasn't there another indie author who wrote an article about selling a series of short stories? That's something I'm considering, since I actually have fun keeping stories in the 5-10K range. Now I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking that article (which was linked somewhere on this site maybe a few months ago).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I like this as well… but wasn't there another indie author who wrote an article about selling a series of short stories? That's something I'm considering, since I actually have fun keeping stories in the 5-10K range. Now I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking that article (which was linked somewhere on this site maybe a few months ago).

There was this hard to find thread about it in Writing Questions a while ago, but none of the links look very useful to me.

http://mythicscribes.com/forums/wri...o-each-chatper-episode.html?highlight=chapter

If it's not there, then it's probably in the Publishing or Marketing forums. A quick search for "story series" gave me too many results to figure out what you're looking for.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Lindsay Buroker has a fantastic blog. She fought her way up through the trenches and became a success. She works hard to be helpful and informative. Very professional site, one of the best I have ever seen.

I can attest to that one, Phillip. I had a book out with a certain company; they promoted the heck out of it (read gave away the farm) and never released book two. Now that I'm out of the contract, I've happily released book two and have book three on track to come out soon-like. I hope to regain the momentum, but worrying now about promoting book two. Thanks for the article; I'm sure to be perusing it for wisdom on this subject. :)