• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

April's Nano camp

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It's that time of year again...

and I mentioned it on my facebook author's page here: https://www.facebook.com/A.Howitt.author

and if you want to share a cabin, please leave your nano name either on this thread or in my facebook post. So far, I've requested to share a cabin with two other Mythic Scribes, but cabins fill quickly, so get in there. Next cabin assignment is in twelve days and to sign up for a cabin, you need to fill in an author profile and plan a novel. Of course, your "novel" need be nothing more than: Untitled 2014 Nano Camp... Synopsis: Whatever I'm writing this year...

To ensure friends end up in the same cabins, we need to request each other, so my name is Anihow and leave all other boxes unchecked when requesting friends.

Hope to see you in the cabin of awesomeness. I had a lot of fun last summer and ended up in a very motivating cabin. Let's make this one even better!

Chilari

Staff
I'm still on the fence about this one. On the one hand, NaNoWriMo has helped me in the past, and the motivation from Phil's threads has been useful - and I can imagine using the Camp for the same purpose. I've got a story moving along and setting an achievable monthly goal (maybe 30,000 words, maybe 25,000) could give me a useful boost. On the other hand, April is a busy one for me. I'll probably still be moving some of my stuff into the new flat and unpacking stuff, sorting bills and post and everything like that. It'll be my birthday and my Dad (who is also my colleague) is retiring so I've got a lot of stuff to sort at work for that (I'm the obvious choice for arranging cake, card, collection etc). And speaking of work, I've got a big deadline on the 8th and have to work from Manchester - a two hour drive away - for the whole of the last week before that deadline, and on those days won't get home til 7pm earliest (usually home 5:15pm) and because it's a deadline and this is bid work, possibly more like 10pm.

So yeah, not sure. But definitely considering it. 12 days til the next cabin assignment, you say? I'll be sure to decide before then.

Smith

Minstrel
I'm doing April's camp NaNo, but I'm hoping to be placed in a cabin with people in my timezone for ease of discussion, otherwise I would've gladly added fellow Scribes! I'm aiming to add 25K to my November novel, so I'm spending this month adding missing scenes, tidying up the plot, building an outline and doing a little worldbuilding on the place my characters will soon converge upon.

C

Chessie

I'm totally in! My NaNo name is Dohvakiin2012 and I would love to share a cabin with some mythic scribes!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
just a note... Time Zone is not one of the things that you will have any control over. The boxes are these:

Campers with a similar word-count goal
Campers in my age range
Campers writing in my genre
Request specific campers by username

just a note... Time Zone is not one of the things that you will have any control over. The boxes are these:

Campers in my age range

Hey, thanks for the help this afternoon. I'm excited to get going again. You rock!

C

Chessie

Maiden, I requested you. I'm not sure who else to share a cabin with though.

Smith

Minstrel

Campers in my age range
What I did is went to the Finding Cabin Mates forum, and found a thread of English people seeking English cabin mates, and then requested them specifically. On this note, you'd think they'd add a request for timezone. No one wants to be stuck in a cabin with all people who only wake up when you're asleep. :/

If any British or GMT+1 scribers want to add me as a cabin mate, I have some spots left.

Ruby

Auror
Hi Caged Maiden, I've requested you. My user name is JacquelineM8888

I did NaNoWriMo last November for the first time and found it inspiring.

I have a couple of people in my cabin already.

In order to be accepted in a cabin both participants have to request each other. If anyone wants to request me please let me know and I'll reciprocate.

Last edited:
C

Chessie

I'm thinking of splitting up my word count between two stories. So writing the first draft of one, then editing the other. They're both short and aren't 50,000 words by themselves. I hope that is acceptable.

Chilari

Staff
For Camp NaNoWriMo, you can set your own goal. It's only November where it has to be 50,000 words. If I do Camp NaNoWriMo, I'm gonna go for 25,000 or 30,000.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
hey what do you guys think of setting up two MS nano cabins? One for younear Grenwich Mean Time and one for us in the west? That might be a happy way to let everyone be with friends but also have the same waking and writing hours.

Keep posting your nano names so you can pal up with people nearby.

Also, for nano I've done writing and edits. One camp, I copied and pasted everything I wrote in the month into one document and called it Nano Camp 2012. In went all my short stories I was doing for Phil's challenge, the edits I was doing for my WiP and every miscellaneous thing I wrote for anything. The goal of nano is to apply yourself to reaching a goal and writing every day. The rules are not hard and fast, they're flexible. Do you feel like a winner in the end? i did. So it's all good.

Ruby

Auror
hey what do you guys think of setting up two MS nano cabins? One for younear Grenwich Mean Time and one for us in the west? That might be a happy way to let everyone be with friends but also have the same waking and writing hours.

Keep posting your nano names so you can pal up with people nearby.

Also, for nano I've done writing and edits. One camp, I copied and pasted everything I wrote in the month into one document and called it Nano Camp 2012. In went all my short stories I was doing for Phil's challenge, the edits I was doing for my WiP and every miscellaneous thing I wrote for anything. The goal of nano is to apply yourself to reaching a goal and writing every day. The rules are not hard and fast, they're flexible. Do you feel like a winner in the end? i did. So it's all good.

Hi Caged Maiden, for NaNoWriMo last November, I made friends with participants from many different countries and didn't find that time zone was an issue. Also, I'm a night person and often write late at night/ early morning. I think it would be boring to just hook up with people who live in your own country/time zone. :)

I've just realised that the two people I've kept most in touch with from that, live in the USA, and one of them has asked to share my cabin for Campnano. :D ( I'm not yet sure if the other one's participating this year.)

Last edited:

Smith

Minstrel
I felt compelled to seek out GMTers because I've been keeping a fairly typical schedule lately, but if I can still have Scribes in my cabin, all the better! I've already mutually requested two non-MS people for cabin request, so who knows where I might end up. Some Scribes would be nice, as I love chatting to you all here.

My NaNo name is Erdboden.

Last edited:

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I did NaNoWriMo for the first time last year, managed to burst through a block I'd been having. I was very pleased with my progress. Unfortunately, work and school and limited my time since. My schedule is looking to open up in April finally, so I'm hoping to make another run at my story.

So I'm definitely in. Hoping to get at least 25,000 words done. Name there is the same on here. Looking forward to semi-familiar cabin-mates.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I'd love to do Camp Nano again. I just have a terrible sinking feeling that I won't be able to, though. :( My heart is just not with, well, anything lately.

If I manage to muster something up, it will be under Rinzei on the Camp Nano site.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
five days till cabin assigning. I've requested you all, so let's see what happens! It says I've requested the full number I'm allowed, so I guess Im full up. they'll assign me 6 noobs too, so here's hoping we have a greatly productive cabin full of scribes to motivate each other.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Also, I just want to remind people to donate if you can to nano. It's a wonderful place where we can meet new people and motivate each other and share our work and our journey. I donated $50 to nano camp which allows 17 writers to enjoy a cabin community and the nano experience. Please, if you can give a little, consider donating to this extraordinary event. Plus, you get a halo for the whole year and a cute little owl patch!