• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Camp NaNo 2014

Mythopoet

Auror
Anyone participating in Camp NaNo this month? I've signed up at the last minute. I'm setting myself a goal of only 25,000 words because I'm a slow writer. I'm trying to improve, but I don't think I should put too much pressure on myself. If I do well this month, maybe next time I'll set a higher goal. :)

I'm working on a story that is meant to be a sort of gateway story to a larger epic cycle. As such, I'm not sure whether it will end up being a novel or novella. I plan to just tell it and see how many words it takes.

My story is about a prince named Sollon who, as an invalid, is useless in the war that is currently plaguing his country, Atthis. But the war is not going well and he determines to do something to help his homeland. So he gathers a crew of heroes and sets sail across the world to search for the legendary Sacred City of the Gods, where he believes they might find aid or at least knowledge to help them defeat the strange creatures that are attacking Atthis and the rest of the Riverlands.

It is inspired by both The Odyssey and Jason and the Argonauts as well as other aspects of Greek and various world mythologies. I don't have a plot established or an outline to follow, which is new for me. All I know is that my heroes and heroines set out from one corner of the map and arrive, in the end, in another part of the map and that there will be many fabulous adventures along the way. I'm excited to try something so different for me. :)

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I have signed up, and I started to do it, then I encountered a technological... issue. I splashed water on my laptop, and the keyboard is now broken. So my original goal of 31k may get downgraded.

But I like doing NaNo because it gives me the kick in the rear I can't seem to give myself.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I did 1,660 words last night. Well, actually I have no idea how many words I did last night. I wrote with pen and paper last night and typed it up this morning, but I always do light editing when I'm typing it up. Anyway, I typed up 1660 words this morning from my writing session last night. Not bad, I think.

Well, I did 1,660 words last night. Well, actually I have no idea how many words I did last night. I wrote with pen and paper last night and typed it up this morning, but I always do light editing when I'm typing it up. Anyway, I typed up 1660 words this morning from my writing session last night. Not bad, I think.

Nice Mytho! :)

Dreamy, that sucks! :(

I managed to finish chapter one of the ghost story today. I'm super happy with the progress and flow if not the actual wording.
Y'all can read the various iterations of ch1 in my portfolio. I thought it would be cool to see where it started and where it ended up.

Happy noveling to all.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, the weekend kept me busy, but another writing session last night got me up to 2877 typed up words this morning. Not great for a whole week, but I'm confident if I push myself I can easily make up for it during the rest of the month.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I've made a little more progress. Not typed up though so I don't have an accurate word count. But I have to confess that last night I worked on the latest Iron Pen rather than my NaNo. :eek:

Ruby

Auror
Hi, I'm doing Campnano, too.

I'm in a private cabin, which means we all asked to be together from a previous nano or knew each other.

I've only given myself a low goal of 10,000 words.

I'm continuing two books which I've been writing for a couple of years. I started the prequel last November but have been rewriting the beginning of the other book for this Campnano. It's become complicated because once you alter the beginning, you have to change the rest of the book. I have various versions of different chapters and need to make some decisions about the plot. I'm not sure whether to stick with this aspect or continue until I reach the end of each book and then go back.

In the meantime, in order to cope with the writer's block, I started doing a series of cartoons about a vampire which I've put on my blog. At least my procrastination is creative! :D

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm doing nano camp but have had two weak cabins, so I'm going to see what I got from the nano grab bag today.

Nano is a great motivator if you get a good cabin. Otherwise, I struggle to care.

sjlinton

Acolyte
I'm doing Camp Nano as well. I was in it during April and signed up again for July. I set myself a goal of 50,000 words and am doing okay so far. My project is the sequel to my debut novel. I'm having a little bit of trouble remembering small details from the previous novel, but that can fixed with editing later. The point is to get the words down, right? If it wasn't for Nano, I would have a hard time finishing anything.

nlough

Troubadour
I set my goal at 30,000. I'm going to try to make, but I'm usually busy with my actual job. I'm definitely going to be writing this month and so far have hit 6,000 words. If I don't make then I don't make. Either way I get some writing done and actually make progress on my novel.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, my other WIP is on hold until I finish this short story for the Iron Pen. It's going well. I've got about 2600 words in a more or less finished state and only a little bit more to add before its finished. Then I'll return to the other story. But I have a feeling that this short has influenced me a lot and I'm going to have to make some significant changes to what I planned for that story.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
make sure to count those words toward your nano goal. In fact this month, to make my goal, I'm just starting a fresh document and pasting everything I write into it, that way I get to count all my words, whether for Iron Pen, my novel, the collaborative novel, or shorts i'm playing with.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've updated my word count to 6091 words written this month. 2800 of those are a finished short story so I feel like I've accomplished something.

Now I'm not sure I can return to my former WIP. I feel like this short has set my imagination off in a new direction and I'd better follow it.