• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano November 2014 official thread

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hello scribes!

I hope your writing endeavors are progressing and you're having fun all the while. I'd like to take this opportunity to organize another Mythic Cabin or two or three. Let's see how many folks we can get.

Please leave your nano username in your replies and we'll log in and request each other. We've done this for at least two years, with summer camps too, and the results are seriously awesome.

This thread is for meet and greet purposes, but as we get going, please feel free to join all your fellow scribes here to post your progress, blocks, and words of inspiration.

For those who are new to nano, please log into the nanowrimo site and create a username. When it asks you for cabin requests, select Choose specific cabinmates. At that point, paste in a few names off this thread and prepare for an awesome journey for four weeks as you surround yourself with Mythic Scribes who will motivate you to do your best, support you when you suffer setbacks, and liven up the cabin with dialogue because we're already friends and know each other.

For returning nanos, please consider picking a few friends you already nano with and a couple of our newer members, so they can receive all the benefit of your experience. The more we nano together, the stronger we all become.

Best wishes as the nano season gets underway. In the coming weeks, I'll open a thread asking for your brief outline/ summary and or book blurb. Let us know what you're working on. Let's take this opportunity to support each other and perhaps get more traffic to our MS site. Others might benefit from knowing what kind of forum we are and find the help they need as isolated writers.

Aspasia

Sage
Yay, NaNo approaches! I'm silicon on the NaNo forums. Eagerly awaiting Nov 1, even though piles of work from college will make it challenging, to say the least. No idea what I'm going to be writing -- short stories? Novella? Two novellas? I'll probably decide on Oct. 31st. It's very unlikely I'll do a proper novel.

Jackarandajam on NaNoWriMo! Traveling wind turbine tech, so I'm not looking forward to juggling the bizarre, wind chasing hours with 1,600+ words a day... But i am, at the same time.

Boring old comfort zones jack with my Ataraxia.

Finishing King Dogugorra the Mighty with King Dogugorra the Mighty: Part 2 this year, probably around the 30k mark. then it's on to my spaghetti pile of short stories, and possibly some work for a co-op 'Verse i have going with a few friends. If nothing else, ill start the saga that will act as the four part story that KDTM is a prequel to... Anyway, i haven't looked in to this Cabin thing, so ill have to try to find it.

Thanks, I look forward to working with the lot of you!

Tom

Istar
M Schiller on NaNo! (My username for this site is SO much cooler) My novel-to-be is "Bucking the System", which I know is a title that has been done before, but what are you gonna do?

I'm juggling mid-term papers and such... It's going to take a lot of coffee and Blimey Cow videos on Youtube to get me through November alive and in full possession of my sanity.

Oh, wait, I don't have full possession of my sanity anyway...which is why I signed up for NaNo.

Never mind.

Last edited:

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I'm doing NaNo this year. Same name there as here.

Last year, I made my goal, and I knew exactly what, where, who, why, etc for that story. This year I don't; I've got a vague notion of who the characters are and what they're going to do, and I have an image in my head of the location, but nothing specific. I think its a set of short story adventures with two characters, but I haven't decided exactly how I'm arranging it yet.

Ah well, we'll see, lol.

Also juggling school (final quarter at my vocational school) and work, so I'm hoping to do this. Haven't done so well with the two Camps this year :(

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I may have to think about this. My main WIP is reaching a point where I could set it aside for awhile, and I have been mentally formulating scenes for the sequel, plus I mostly know where the sequel goes. But...

...I have the Jobe rewrite to do during that period - finally figured out how to make it 'Jobe Compliant.'

...I have pressing real world obligations - otherwise known as 'job.'

...and even at top writing speed, I won't even hit the halfway point. With the other two constraints, I might not hit the quarter point. Still...

...I will think about it.

C

Chessie

I'm excited about NaNo! Been outlining my story so I can breeze through the word count this year (hopefully). Last year I pantsed all the way and that turned out in me not finishing. So I learned my lesson.

My name there is YogiChess. :)

Foah

Troubadour
I'm a NaNoWriMo virgin, so this November will be my first. As of right now, I don't even have a title for a supposed novel, so I'm really starting from scratch. It's an entirely different approach to writing compared to my normal heavy outlining, so it will be very interested and a great project for me to blog about aswell! My alias on nanowrimo is eriktireland, invite as you please :)

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
I will participating in Nano this year as well -- both my first Nano and my first novel, so both excited and nervous as hell!! My username on Nano is RyanCrown, and my story is an action/adventure tentatively titled Pursuit of the Bandit King. Can't wait to get started!!

Amanita

Maester
I'm in again as well. My name over there is Amanita as well. So far, I've only got a rather vague idea for the story and I don't know yet where it will go. Or which genre it will be in the end...

Smith

Minstrel
Doing it! Torn between three ideas, but I think I've picked one. At least I have backups if I hit day 3 and realise I don't know where the hell I'm going and I just can't take the stupid idea anymore. I'm Erdboden on the NaNo site.

I'm IN! Cicca is my uid over there. :) I'm rewriting the crappy bits of The House on Berry bay. :) Personal goal of 25K words, won't make 50K I don't think, and I'm ok with that.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Great, we have loads of Mythic nanos this year.

I'm anihow in nanoland, and I'd like to propose an idea. Since we've got loads of scribes and we'll fill more than one cabin, we'll have to divide up in some way. This season, I'm working on a sci-fi, real-world zombie kind of thriller novel. I suggest if you're working on a thriller, paranormal romance, etc. and using the real world, you are group A and if you're writing traditional fantasy, as in making up a world, you're group B. I don't mean for that to be a hard and fast rule, but I'd like to write with other folks who may be dealing with the same issues as me. I've never written a novel in the real world before. So if you're writing in the real world, please put my name on your cabin settings. I'm a really active cabin-mate and it'll be nice to meet some of the new scribes in their first nano.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am signed in.

Added some names here as buddies: YogiChess, SM-Dreamer, couple others. Didn't see 'Caged Maiden' anywhere on there.

My ID is 'Thinker102'

('ThinkerX was not allowed)

Novel is 'Labyrinth: Seed'

Last edited:
Great, we have loads of Mythic nanos this year.

I'm anihow in nanoland, and I'd like to propose an idea. Since we've got loads of scribes and we'll fill more than one cabin, we'll have to divide up in some way. This season, I'm working on a sci-fi, real-world zombie kind of thriller novel. I suggest if you're working on a thriller, paranormal romance, etc. and using the real world, you are group A and if you're writing traditional fantasy, as in making up a world, you're group B. I don't mean for that to be a hard and fast rule, but I'd like to write with other folks who may be dealing with the same issues as me. I've never written a novel in the real world before. So if you're writing in the real world, please put my name on your cabin settings. I'm a really active cabin-mate and it'll be nice to meet some of the new scribes in their first nano.

Ok this sounds really really dumb, but where do I find said cabin settings?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I did not find any 'cabin settings' either. What I did find - after reading the FAQ - was a means of selecting 'Writing Buddies,' which I assume to be the same thing. Use the on-site search function. Enter the exact user ID of the person you wish to be a buddy with, and you get whisked away to their page. Then select 'add a buddy.'

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
There's an option for cabins at Camp Nanowrimo (which is for the non-November writing events), but I haven't seen anything on the main Nano site, so I'm wondering if that's only a Camp Nanowrimo thing. I've also just been adding people as writing buddies.