• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Camp NaNoWriMo July 2015

Anyone else gearing up for Camp NaNo in July?

I am cupiscent over there as well (I lack imagination in usernames) and I'm going to be aiming for a final revision of my novel The Notorious Sorcerer's Penultimate Work. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to track that in "word count", but I'd like to get the whole thing done (though I may start before the end of June if I get all my structural tweaking sorted out).

If anyone would like to share a cabin, we can arrange a private cabin, or just chat about your plans and projects here.

I'm Brianallen1315. Working in finishing my third novel The Fallen (working title) this work is completely pantsed and I plan on keeping it that way. After which I'm going to backfill some world building. I'd like to be in a cabin as well.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am Thinker102 in NaNoWriMo land.

The July camp is slated for 'Empire: Estate,' third in a series of four or five or six novella length works of around 30,000 - 40,000 words. I naively thought I could finish the rough draft for 'Empire: Capital' during the April NaNoWriMo...and instead finished that just a few days ago (almost double the allotted time, though I did have major plot holes and other concerns).

For those who know of him, 'Empire: Estate' is my work where 'Jobe' appears. (Been revamping 'Justice' for the 'Trials of Jobe' anthology...again.)

Tom

Istar
I'm M Schiller over there. (I'm not very creative with usernames either.)

I will be using Camp NaNo as the final shove to get me to finish my first novel, Southerner (working title). Which I have been working on since junior high. It's high time this thing was finished.

If I finish Southerner during Camp, I'll probably move on to Frostbite, which was my project for April's camp, and finish that up as well. There's nothing like trying to meet a wordcount goal every day to get you motivated!

C

Chessie

I wonder if we're going to have another Mythic Scribes cabin? Caged Maiden or Blue Lotus usually come on here to announce it. But either way, I'm Yogi Chess over there. I am also one that's not very creative with nicknames. :D Not sure what project I will do yet. I have an entire month to plot so I may return to my novel. The only problem is that we're having family come up from out of state the first two weeks of July...so that could be a potential setback.

I find Camp so helpful for the flexibility of setting goal and project, so hopefully everyone can work around their other July requirements.

And I didn't want to tread on anyone's toes - I was just signing up for Camp and wondered if there'd be an MS presence this time. If anyone else - especially someone who's done it before! - wants to set up cabins or whatever, I am extremely happy to pass that baton. Especially this weekend, when it's convention weekend here and I'm super distracted. :)

Noma Galway

Archmage
I'm "I Am The Titanic" over there, and I'm actually not working on a fantasy novel (*gasp*). I've been working on a completely different project lately, and I'm hoping to get a first draft done during Camp.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm Mythopoet over there as well. I'm actually setting myself a goal of 4 short stories, one per week or so, about 10,000 words each. If there's a Scribes Cabin I'll totally jump in.

Also, cupiscent, I LOVE your title. It is so intriguing. I want to read it already.

Thanks, Mythopoet! That's actually fantastic to hear at the moment, because as always, I'm second-guessing my title as I get closer to querying time. So hearing that it's intrigued you is a confirmation that it should stay.

I have created a cabin and tried to invite everyone who's noted a username above - but it couldn't find some of you, or you hadn't created a project yet. If you haven't received an invite, please confirm your username and/or create a project (I'm pretty sure you can change just about everything later if need be) and let me know. Also, other interested parties still welcome!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
We will be doing the nano cabin. This thread preceded our announcement so I don't think we need to open an "official" thread this time around unless you guys want to. If you need an invitation to the nano cabin or the nano facebook group, please send me a PM. In real life, I just got my Real Estate license and am in the process of buying a house and going through a baptism by fire as I learn the ropes really quickly (since I'm my own agent on this transaction). A PM is just easier for me to see than these threads.

The cabin assignments won't take place for a while, but the Facebook page is always active. Just let me know if you need an invite to either.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Cupiscent I did open a cabin, cabin assignments are in 10 days. I'm not sure Blue Lotus will be joining us this round, but we tend to play games, have competitions, and garner prizes if the interest is high. If there isn't enough interest, we probably need to get all of us in one cabin (November is usually the time when we have two or three different cabins by genre and location). Last camp we unfortunately had 13 people, so we couldn't all fit in one cabin.

Everyone who wants to join camp nano, you need to make a work. Create a work under "MY Works" and if you don't have any clue what you intend to write, just plug in a random title like "Rewrite 2015" or something and just create it. You can edit it later. If you don't have a work for this camp, you won't be able to be invited into a cabin. Also, if you have a pending cabin invite, you can't get a second. Cabins don't have mod power except for invitations, so we can certainly have two cabins and maybe separate them by genre here. Usually we do a sort of head count in the official thread, asking folks what they're writing. If you guys want to let everyone know what you're writing, maybe we can set up the cabins as rewrites and new work? Or Fantasy and some crossbreed? Or we can just condense into one cabin if we get less than 13 people. I plan to rewrite a traditional fantasy work.

Writing officially begins on July first but typically we chat on the facebook page before, to get prepped, so if anyone needs that info, PM me your facebook name. I think we have to be friends for me to invite you to the facebook page called Mythic Nanoers.

Caged Maiden, that all sounds far more organised and useful for participants, so I'll ditch my cabin and invites and you can invite folk to the cabin. (Mythopoet, you'll apparently need to leave the cabin; I can't close it otherwise.)

Just a note: I don't Facebook, so it sounds like I'd be missing out on half the fun? Which is ok - I actually have another writing group putting together a cabin, so I might go with them this time.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
The facebook page isn't necessary, but it helps us include folks around the world who want to keep in touch but not participate in nano. We made it last November because there were no cabins and the scribes wanted to keep in touch and motivate each other.

Ruby

Auror
I'm already in a cabin and we're busy using the message board and reading each other's excerpts. You don't have to wait until July. We have a few spaces if anyone wants to DM me for an invitation but you have to promise to be active on the message board. I'll join you on Facebook anyway. I didn't realise there was going to be a Mythic Scribes cabin.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
thinker X and Tom you two need to create works. I think I got everyone else.

Scribes, it's that time of year again. We're all on vacation, our kids are home from school, and writing is competing with all the fun outdoor hobbies we've been waiting to get back to. Come join us for virtual camping. It's the best of both worlds--as much writing as you can stomach, but no bugs or outhouses.

The nice thing about camps is that you can set your own word count goals. No need to do the 50k marathon of November!

thinker X and Tom you two need to create works. I think I got everyone else.

Scribes, it's that time of year again. We're all on vacation, our kids are home from school, and writing is competing with all the fun outdoor hobbies we've been waiting to get back to. Come join us for virtual camping. It's the best of both worlds--as much writing as you can stomach, but no bugs or outhouses.

The nice thing about camps is that you can set your own word count goals. No need to do the 50k marathon of November!

Wait, there are things to do that aren't inside? That's crazy! You're all a bunch of HEATHENS! HEATHENS I SAY! (jk).

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I shall try to squeeze in a work in the next day or two.

Real life unexpectedly became very busy. Depending on how things go, it might go back to normal come July, or I could have far more time on my hands than I want.