• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Post NaNo 2015

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Several of us ran into issues this time around with NaNo. We didn't make the word count. Or we made the word count and just didn't finish the story. Or we got distracted. But we still intend to finish our NaNo novels. So, how goes the stories?

Me: Yes, I am still tapping away at 'Labyrinth: Seed.' But it is rough going. Last day of NaNo I did something like 2500 words. The next day it was more like 250. (I was tired and had real world issues to deal with.) Yesterday and today I did a bit better, maybe 600 - 700 words. Had to drop about half of yesterdays total because it didn't mesh well - the chapter I am working on now is a severe pain for me.

On the bright side, though, just a couple more chapters and I can proclaim 'Seed' done enough for this year, get on with some other projects. My current vow is to get those chapters done by Monday.

Now how about the rest of you?

Zadocfish

Troubadour
Man, I've barely written a word since Nano... It's hard to work up enthusiasm when there's no kudos on the line...

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I've been averaging about a thousand words a day since Dec first. i'm looking to get that up to two thousand by the end of the month and finish with my current project. I find emailing my current word totals to myself at night and then seeing them for all of the next day really motivates me to write more. its in my face whenever I look at my phone so I can't go an hour or two without thinking about it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I opted out of Nano. November was crazy busy with family matters (aging parents take nearly as much time as small children!), so I decided at the outset I was not likely to get much done. Mission accomplished!

On the upside, though, I am fully energized for December, which I have named MyNoWriMo.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I was reinvigorated during November and completed my word count (editing), and have a whole new first scene of my novel, too. I'm writing in a new first chapter that's about half done, so i'm feeling pretty interested in a story I haven't been enamored with in two years. I count it a success. I'm down with MyNoWriMo, Skip. If you want, we can keep each other motivated. :)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hmm...interesting, I suppose. Towards the end, the NaNo spreadsheet deal kept telling me I would finish December 3rd - 5th - that is reach the 50k mark. Well, I done hit that mark tonight, right in the predicted range (it kept moving around). Another 3000-4000 words and I can call Seed 'done enough for now.'

Tom

Istar
I'm actually writing better after NaNo. Writing feels like fun again, not a job I'm required to perform every day.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
1800 words yesterday and another 1800 today. Chapters I thought would be short are turning out far longer than expected. Looks like it'll be a few days before I can wrap this up.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Might as well keep posting here until I have a passable rough draft.

Last three days at work were brutal. Barely managed a few hundred words each night. 1100 words tonight, though. However, the tale keeps growing. What was supposed to be a single 2500 - 3000 word chapter now looks to be better than double that, spread among three chapters.

And what I'd envisioned as a few hundred words in an upcoming chapter - barely more than a scene or two - might now become a chapter in its own right, two or three thousand words total.

I'm typing, but I'm also flagging.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
At last! First draft of 'Labyrinth: Seed' done. Well, sort of. Still have about eight short chapters to write incorporating three minor POV's, but that can wait.

The last two chapters were the biggest pains. Had to keep deleting and rewriting stuff because the scenes simply did not work.

Still, 20,000 words in the 21 days since NaNo ended.

How about the rest of you? Did you complete your unfinished NaNo projects?

Addison

Auror
Belated news: I flunked NaNo this year, again. It had nothing to do with not wanting to write I was on a serious job hunt which, prior to me working the job, I had to study for and pass a HUGE test. I did so only for someone else to get the job. So now, all I want for Christmas, is a job. Until then I'm writing my heart out.

Nimue

Auror
I've got nothing written this month. And I'm seriously thinking of finally giving up on this story after four years. It just really isn't any good. I wish there was some way to destroy a digital manuscript that was as satisfying as burning a paper copy. Maybe if I had a bonfire...

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Keep at it, Nimue, and everyone. I know how frustrating it can be, and I was there, too, but over the last few days, I added and edited about 3600 words. My problem is since i'm writing a diverse character into the beginning of my novel, I'm busy worrying over every word and sentence. But I think I've gotten over the hurdles of at least writing something decent. Now it's all finishing up the last two scenes, and then on to having someone actually read it so I can edit better.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
800 words today. I realized that chapter four is more properly chapter six or seven. Had to do a bit of backtracking and thinking.