• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Flat Earth

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Coming in 2014 to the Mythic Worlds section of this site is Flat Earth, an RPG with die-rolling and side-scrolling action.

Reaver, Phil the Drill and I just battle-tested the game and emerged victorious! Here's how it went down.

Reaver and the Pale Jackal ordered drinks.

Rowdy orcs at tables 4 and 5 refused to pay for dinner.

They were brutally murdered, but their friends arrived to avenge them.

And when THEY were killed, they were raised as zombies. All hell broke loose. Milk got spilled.
Flat-Earth-Map-1---Bar-Brawl16.png

Reaver ♥♥♥♥♥
Pale Jackal ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Hanako ♥♥♥♥♥♥

The health display shows that things were getting tough for the Reaver, but teamwork and clever use of in-game skills won the day!

Join the party. Explore the world. Kill monsters and break things.

Nihal

Vala
...but if you kill every customer that refuses to pay instead of collecting the money you'll have less returning customers. D:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'd just like to mention as someone play-testing this, that I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the quirky style and very visual quality of the game. Hopefully, with Sidekick's permission, I can give some impressions of it so far to encourage people to check it out when it goes live.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'd just like to mention as someone play-testing this, that I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the quirky style and very visual quality of the game. Hopefully, with Sidekick's permission, I can give some impressions of it so far to encourage people to check it out when it goes live.
That's fine with me. Feel free to brag about your pro-wrestling know-how making its way into the boss battle.

That's discrimination! I see a civil rights action in your future...:p
You see what's on the blond orc's plate? It's a fish with two scallops and a side of veggies. The meal is called "Mermaid in Broccoli Forest." The orc complained that he wasn't eating an actual mermaid. (I'm not sure if he also expected to eat an actual forest.) I think when you learn of details I left out, you'll agree these orcs deserve death.

And if they get a good lawyer, well… I'll have a harder time convincing you that orc-killing is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Hey... milk got spilled. What other recourse could there have been? :p
To be fair to the orcs, the one who spilled the milk was dead. Hanako's legendary sidekick knocked the orc behind the bar, and the resulting crash sent ten bottles of booze crashing to the floor and toppled PJ's cup of milk.

But it's Reaver's fault that a slice was taken out of the corner of the bar.

Reaver

Staff
To be fair to the orcs, the one who spilled the milk was dead. Hanako's legendary sidekick knocked the orc behind the bar, and the resulting crash sent ten bottles of booze crashing to the floor and toppled PJ's cup of milk.

But it's Reaver's fault that a slice was taken out of the corner of the bar.

Hey, I did pay to have the bar fixed.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I was one of the people that play-tested for this, and I'd like to share with any who are thinking of playing:

1. I can't think of any game that has the same presentation as Flat Earth. It's definitely unique, quirky, and fun. The video game, side-scrolling beat 'em up style is very cool.

2. The game can be fast paced due to a simple rolling system. I enjoyed this aspect a lot because it allowed me to carry out skills without having to figure out lots of rules.

3. This game is custom drawn. Just let that sink in. Sidekick takes the time to draw each character, backgrounds and enemies. This attention to detail shines through.

4. The NPCs we encountered were pretty cool and I pulled off a Princess Bride style choke out of a gigantic orc. Pretty sweet!

Anyway, I think it's worth checking out this game. I'm looking forward to playing more of it in the near future.

http://mythicscribes.com/forums/flat-earth/10567-welcome-my-flat-world.html#post147741

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
I also had the privilege of being one of the play testers and everything that Phil said about the game is true. The artwork is very cool and the game itself a true original.

I thought that Legendary Sidekick had opened this up. If not, it will definitely be open in January.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
But we can't see it, Phil. You're mean!
I sent BD a message asking him to open the forum today. I hid our battle tests so players can start fresh without a cluttered forum, and my plan is to spend the next month setting up the map and characters for whoever wants in. (I'm assuming the number of interested players will be a single-digit number.)

Characters will be custom-drawn for you. I tried making templates, but found I draw better once I have a character to work with. The bright side: this means if two players pick characters of the same class, they'll look different.

@Phil and Reaver, if you see that orange RSS graphic in the Flat Earth forum, that means everyone can see it.

Reaver

Staff
I'd hoped to give you a proper "thank you" (i.e. rep points) for the preceding posts, but I believe I used them up for the next 24 hours. Anyways, thanks for all the hard work you put into Flat Earth. You're the greatest man!

Last edited: