• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

IMPORTANT: Reporting Posts and Improving the Tone

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Dear friends,

It's been a year since we opened our doors, and I am happy to say that we've come far. We've assembled a wonderful community of writers, both new and seasoned, and our traffic is increasing daily.

Unfortunately, as our community has grown, we've experienced growing pains. Telcontar sums up the problem nicely:

Telcontar said:
For a long time these forums were a fairly insular community with relatively few active members. We're gathering more, quickly, and as Black Dragon said some of that 'nastiness' of the internet is emerging. It is caused in large part by anonymity - and the increasing size of our community makes for more anonymity amongst the members.

I've been receiving private messages from users who are concerned by a marked increase in hostility and contentiousness. I've observed this as well, and believe that it's time to put a stop to it.

Our Purpose

From day one, the vision of Mythic Scribes has been to to create a thriving community of fantasy writers and fans. In doing so, we've emphasized the importance of our guiding principle, which is this:

Treat others with respect and dignity, and foster a positive, welcoming and family-friendly community.

The recent outbreaks of hostility and contentiousness directly undermine what we are trying accomplish.

Therefore, from this day forth, Mythic Scribes will no longer tolerate hostile or argumentative behavior.

I am a believer in free expression. I also understand that some people enjoy arguing. That's fine. But there are many places on the Internet where people can argue until their hearts are content. We will not be one of them.

Instead, we are a community of writers, for writers. If you are interested in discussing fantasy writing in a spirit of mutual respect and friendship, you are welcome here. But if someone wishes to argue and criticize other members, they should go elsewhere.

Doing Your Part

Most of our members are warm, helpful people. Some of them have been taken aback by the recent hostility. But we are determined to correct course, and recapture the positive, welcoming environment that prompted you to join us.

The most important thing that you can do is to continue setting a positive example for other members. Most of you are doing this already. Keep offering encouragement to those who need it, and be a source of inspiration and support.

But if you encounter the hostility again, in any shape or form, please alert us immediately.

At the bottom of each post, to the right of the "Thanks" button, you will notice a caution symbol. This is the "Report Post" button. Pressing it will alert the moderators of the issue, and we will investigate it as soon as possible.

We are asking you to push the "Report Post" button at the first sign of argumentative or hostile behavior.

If you have any doubt as to whether or not the post in question is appropriate, push it anyway, and let us make the decision. We will be fair.

But if it's determined that the post is indeed argumentative or hostile, direct action will be taken.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. If we all work together, we can recapture the warmth and inspiration that has made Mythic Scribes great.

Reaver

Staff
Nicely said, Dragon. I for one, like this site very much and have been helped immensely by several of its members kindness and advice in the past few weeks. I'm referring to my "Is it ever okay to lie?" thread, and I have to say that everyone's posts have been very insightful and in many cases, very touching. I want to thank you and all the other people running Mythic Scribes for keeping it a place where we can have a voice in a fun and welcoming environment.

I never wanted to push the "Report Post" button because I assumed it immediately had some rather negative consequences. I'm glad that it merely alerts the moderators to possibly objectionable behavior and allows them to make the judgement call and decide what to do.

Should make it easier to not rise to the argument in posts found to be objectionable and allow the mods to moderate.