• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books on your Wishlist

Kelise

Maester
Well, we have nearly every other list of books imaginable, how about a list of the books we want to get next?

It doesn't matter how many books we may have bought but are still unread around the house (112 in my case) or on our iPads, unread (300 or so, but that may slightly overlap in parts with my first count of 112). There's always books we've heard of and want to buy, but haven't managed to yet.

My list currently is:

My list goes on, but it's for books in a series I haven't even started yet. I just assume I'll love the series! Bah. (In this case, speaking of A Song of Ice and Fire, and Kristen Britain's Green Rider, and everything by Brendon Sanderson. And Storm by Tad Williams. And The Crucible series by Sara Douglass.

Perhaps I have a book buying problem. As I noted before, I have enough books to last me a year or two without buying any more! And yet... and yet...

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
lol I don't know if JK Rowling is going to write another series. I heard she is done with the harry potter world. She sounded pretty disgusted with it in the end. Except for the oodles of money she has. My list would be (not necessarily fantasy/sci-fi

1. Collection of Emily Dickinson poems.
2. Hunger Games (ye i read Gregor the overlander but wasn't interested in Suzanne Collins at the time the books came out).
3. Betsy the Vampire Queen series.
4. Dreamworld
5. Songs of fire and ice.

Shadoe

Sage
I don't know if Rowling's going to write another series either, but that's why it's on my WISH list. :)

I'm just pretty pathetic when it comes to books. I have no resistance. If I hear of a book I want, I rush right out and get it. This is why no one I know will ever help me move again. If I ever wish to move without using professionals, I'm going to have to come up with a completely new circle of friends.

pskelding

Troubadour
Rowling has hinted that she still is going to do more books in the Potterverse. I don't see why she would write more than 10,000 new words for her Pottermore website if she wasn't. I know she was trying to write a detective novel a few years back but don't know if that ever came to fruition.

Rumors are that Lucas is looking to bring a new Star Wars trilogy to the big screen as well.

My wishlist -

Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson
Joe Abercrombie hardcovers, all with gorgeous UK covers.
Heroes of the Marsh - New Unabridged Translation which costs 200 USD

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Bumping this thread as it's an old one, but what books are you looking forward to getting next?

Martin's next one for me, even though I'm a bit disappointed as to where it's going. Abercrombie's next one sounds intriguing as well. Interested to see what Erikson is going to do next since Malazan Book of the Fallen is finished now.

Also Gollancz has released a lot of Jack Vance's stuff on e-book now, so I'm looking forward to reading a lot of him.

Xanados

Maester
I have quite a lot of reputable authors I'm going to buy sometime in the near future.

- Cornwell's Saxon stories (Historical fiction)
- Cook's The Black Company
- Abercrombie's First Law

I haven't ever gotten around to reading the LotR, even though my room is littered with paraphenilia from the trilogy. I could only get five chapters in to the Fellowship. I've tried to read it for a year now. I'm not going to finish the trilogy... and then go through this list.

Argentum

Troubadour
Right now I think I have only two books on my wishlist.

The Wiseman's Fear. I think it was coming out in paperback this month? So I was waiting for that.
Stephen King's On Writing. Sounds like there's some good information in it.

Kelise

Maester
It came out a couple of days ago, in fact. According to Rothfuss' blog anyhow :)

I remember the glorious days when I was passing my bookstore and saw they had put it out on the shelves at least three weeks early. I think I squealed. It IS massive though, I may have to buy the paperback and put this one into storage.

Ophiucha

Auror
Since I am dreadfully predictable, "Railsea" by China Mieville is out in a couple of months. The next novel in the Temeraire series, "Crucible of Gold", came out recently, I believe. Both my husband and I are unemployed right now, though, so it'll have to wait.

Xanados, the Saxon Chronicles start out great but get pretty tiresome by book four, at least in my opinion.

There are a lot of books I need to read, but I can't think of many right now. Obviously A Dance with Dragons and any other ASOIAF books set to be released, and I need to finish the three or four books I have laying around my room right now from my last amazon shopping spree. That includes Mistborn, and after all of the gushing reviews from Scribes i am expecting to pick up some more of Sanderson's books after I finish it. Oh, and of course I have to get Benjamin's book when it gets published!

Yeah, he writes well. I think I was a little upset because I thought the story was done after the third (not sure, but I think it was the third) book, and the rest of the plot felt a bit contrived. Mostly minor complaints, though, the books are good.

Argentum

Troubadour
It came out a couple of days ago, in fact. According to Rothfuss' blog anyhow :)

I remember the glorious days when I was passing my bookstore and saw they had put it out on the shelves at least three weeks early. I think I squealed. It IS massive though, I may have to buy the paperback and put this one into storage.

The book does look pretty gigantic! Which is probably another reason why I'm pretty excited. Books with more than 700 pages make me happy. Then again.... books of that size do need plenty of room on the bookshelf.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Right now I think I have only two books on my wishlist.

The Wiseman's Fear. I think it was coming out in paperback this month? So I was waiting for that.
Stephen King's On Writing. Sounds like there's some good information in it.

I highly recommend the King book, definitely one of the better books on the subject.

Cloud

Minstrel
I've been working my way through a massive reading list since Jan 2011.

I decided to read every winner of the Locus sci-fi award (30-odd books).

I'm currently waiting for Barrayar by Bujold to arrive from Amazon.

After that I've got Robinson's Mars series, Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and the most recent couple of years.

I've been working my way through a massive reading list since Jan 2011.

I decided to read every winner of the Locus sci-fi award (30-odd books).

I'm currently waiting for Barrayar by Bujold to arrive from Amazon.

After that I've got Robinson's Mars series, Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and the most recent couple of years.

You're in for a hell of a ride. :)