• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need audiobook recommendations! Please help!

Trick

Auror
I have very little time to sit and read so audiobooks have been my refuge for some time. I have an extensive library thanks to my audible account but now I have three unused credits and can't find my next pick!

If it helps, I like most fantasy and only some sci-fi. I love Abercrombie, Brent Weeks, Jordan, Peter V. Brett, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Zelazny and many others. I'm not loving Gene Wolfe or Jack Vance but I'm trying. Not a fan of David Farland.

I like long books, 1000 pages or more is great, but it does not have to be epic fantasy. Most sub-genres are fine with me.

Please, help me find my next book!

Thanks in advance.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Get James S.A. Corey's Expanse novels. The first three, at least, have excellent narration and are a lot of fun. The Golem and the Jinn is nicely done, as far as fantasy goes.

Most books I read are also audio editions. Fiction-wise, the best performance I've heard is Wil Wheaton's reading of Scalzi's REDSHIRTS. The scene when Kerensky's drunk is fantastic. Not far behind this is the audio version of CLOUD ATLAS, whose best scene, also in a bar actually, is rendered wonderfully, even better than in the movie, which adapted it entirely faithfully.

My least favorite performance is Lenny Henry's reading of Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS, not because of Henry or the book but because I couldn't help but think it was Chef reading it to me, and that weirded me out. Rene Auberjonois's reading of the later Preston and Child's novels is also a bit odd because he can't not sound like Odo. I also don't like Scott Brick because he makes every book sound the same.

The best nf audio book I've listened to is also, arguably, the best nf book ever written: THE POWER BROKER by Robert Caro. Nearly 30 hours long, it feels like 3. You'll never look at a road the same way again.

Me, I'm currently alternating between stories from an Arthur C. Clarke collection to learn more about writing short stories--Clarke writes the best first paragraphs of anyone, imo--and episodes of the fantastic podcast 99% Invisible, which is about design and is a font of interesting ideas that could show up in stories. I also have two more stories to go in GRRM's DREAMSONGS, but I'm a bit burned out on him. Everything he writes is soooooo long. His flash fiction is like 8000 words.