• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

1. Joe Abercrombie Discussion

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
From this thread that Ankari started, I think it would be cool to discuss the Top 100 Fantasy Author list,one author at time. http://mythicscribes.com/forums/novels-stories/9307-top-100-fantasy-authors-how-many-have-you-read.html

Every two or three days, I'm going to post an author from this list and then we can feel free to discuss books by the author, what we think about them, etc. Please put SPOILER tags on anything that could be perceived as a spoiler for a book.

The first entry is...Joe Abercrombie.

I have to say, he's one of my favorite authors in fantasy writing right now. He's considered by some the standard-bearer for "grimdark" fantasy (a name that has taken in some circles, but by no means an official name), writing that features darker themes, grey characters, and lots of gritty realism.

Of his books, I've read the entire First Law series, some of his short stories, and I've read most of his other books, Red Country the one I'm trying to finish now. If you enjoy a dark sense of humor, realistic characters, and plenty of action, Abercrombie's the author for you.

There's been news that Abercrombie's next book is going to be a YA fantasy. You can check out the news on his blog here: Half a King | Joe Abercrombie

Some may say, "What? The master of grim, bloody fantasy is going to write a YA book?" I have to say though, I'm pretty interested to see what he's going to cook up. YA doesn't necessarily mean children's book after all.

So any other thoughts about Abercrombie?

Joe+Abercrombie+Stand+Alones.JPG

Last edited:

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm a fan of Joe Abercrombie. I read his First Law trilogy and wanted to see what he would do with the second batch of novels dealing with Logan and The Black Dow, but he never came out with it. I keep eyeing his other stories, but I can't bring myself to make the jump and give up on that story arc.

I've heard some great things about Red Country. I'll pick it up after I read Paul Kemp's book.

As far as Joe and the whole grimdark issue (it is an issue, for some reason), I don't get it. He writes what he writes and we buy what we buy. Why do people give him so much flack for his preferable writing style?

Anyway, great writer. I consumed those three books and wanted more.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
He actually embraced the grimdark deal. His Twitter handle is LordGrimdark after all. I think that's more of his tongue in cheek way of accepting it anyway.

I think the backlash against the writing style are fantasy purists that want it to be more about lighter fantasy tales with good vs. evil. They see Abercrombie perpetuating a more violent, bleaker fantasy world that others just don't see as fitting into what fantasy is supposed to be. But yeah, I don't get it either. If you don't like dark stuff, don't read it. I see it more as a "you're muddying up our genre with filth" kind of thing. The same could probably be said for other break-away subgenres like cyberpunk and splatterpunk.

However, I don't see what Abercrombie is doing is a bad thing. Like you said, he's writing what he writes. The best way to vote is with your wallet. And I have done so, many times.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think the backlash against the writing style are fantasy purists that want it to be more about lighter fantasy tales with good vs. evil. They see Abercrombie perpetuating a more violent, bleaker fantasy world that others just don't see as fitting into what fantasy is supposed to be.

The funny thing is, if you go back to Robert E. Howard, C.L. Moore, Clark Ashton Smith, etc., who all predate Tolkien for example, you're back at more dark, bleak fantasy. So maybe it is cyclical.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's interesting you mention some of those writers, because for some reason, Abercrombie is sometimes mentioned as a sword and sorcery writer. The aesthetic is similar in some ways, but I wouldn't say his main novels fit into that sub-genre. He has written stories for a sword and sorcery anthology before, so it's not a total reach.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Loved Best Served Cold... I'm planning on reading the First Law Trilogy soon.

I like the varied characters, the dark & brutal realities they inhabit. No fluffy, sparkly eyed heroes here. I'm also a fan of his minimalist description...not a lot of flowery details that don't add anything to the story.

My favorite part of BSC in Morveer's character and how the narrative changes when in his POV. I think it really strengthens the haughty attitude of that POV.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I hear lots of people say they like Best Served Cold the most. I really liked it too, but I didn't get to the end because I left it in the US (hardcover). But, lo, here it is on my bookshelf! It's on my TBR list.

kayd_mon

Sage
The Blade Itself is the next book on my queue to read (once I finish Mistborn #3). I read the prologue of Blade, and I think that I will like it. I just hope that my expectations aren't too high - a lot of people online say he's (one of) the best out there.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I wouldn't say Abercrombie is too much like Martin. He tends to be more economic with words and doesn't describe things as much. I like both styles, but Abercrombie is more the kind of author I'd like to read in my downtime. Martin's work is a bigger investment of time than Abercrombie's.

Ophiucha

Auror
I've read Best Served Cold. I don't know what it is that puts me off about Joe Abercrombie, because logically, I should love him. I liked the way he writes dialogue, I don't love gritty and dark but I prefer it to 'good vs evil', it had a few good female characters, some interesting worldbuilding things. Objectively, I did like the book. I thought it was well written, a bit more sparse than most fantasy but that's what I prefer. And yet, all said and done, it didn't leave an impression on me. It didn't leave me looking for his other books on Kindle (which is where I have BSC). It was good, it had things I liked in it, yet something just didn't... click, for me. I'll still try the First Law trilogy if I see it on sale, but it's pretty low on my list.

C

Chessie

I loved Best Served Cold but I also haven't made an effort to download his other books. Someday I will. I like Joe Abercrombie and his take on fantasy, though it isn't what I prefer. I do think GRRM is way darker and their writing styles are different. About the only thing that connects them for me is the gritty realism and sex scenes. Though Abercrombie takes home the trophy for detailed sex scenes in fantasy. Geesh.

Nihal

Vala
I finally finished The Blade Itself. I've been reading it for months, on my free time, and this fragmented reading is likely to have altered my perception of the book. It took a good time to get me hooked, and even with all the action in the start I found it slow.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book. I don't know how much got lost in the translation—unfortunately I did not read it in English—but I like how he writes. I had just finished a terribly written book when I picked his and reading him was like quenching my thirst with cold water after an awfully hot and dry day. I caught myself laughing with his slightly twisted humor, and I didn't find his writing so dark. It's more on the honest side of the spectrum, it could be worse, a lot worse.

I plan to read more works by him and maybe re-read half of the book, in shorter intervals this time.

teacup

Auror
I'm part way through The Blade Itself, and doesn't seem to be anything too special, right now. I'm enjoying it enough, but it's not meeting the praise I've heard, yet. It is taking a while to hook me.
I do very much like the character Jezal dan Luthar, though.

kayd_mon

Sage
I want to revive this because I just finished The Blade Itself. I liked it, but I don't see any reason for the hype. I plan to begin the next First Law book this week, and I hope to see some growth in his writing. I know that The Blade Itself was his first book. The characterization was excellent (internal monologs were especially good), but I felt that the plot was very weak.

teacup

Auror
I want to revive this because I just finished The Blade Itself. I liked it, but I don't see any reason for the hype. I plan to begin the next First Law book this week, and I hope to see some growth in his writing. I know that The Blade Itself was his first book. The characterization was excellent (internal monologs were especially good), but I felt that the plot was very weak.

I have also finished this very recently, and I agree 100%. I've been told that book 1 is by far the weakest, though and it picks up a lot.

I have the First Law Trilogy, but unfortunately not much time, at the moment. I'm hoping to be able to start book 2 sometime soonish.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've heard a lot of others say they prefer his later books, but I haven't gotten around to finishing any of them even though I like his writing a lot. My problem may be that I have Best Served Cold and The Heroes in hardcover and I just have trouble finishing hardcover books nowadays. I'm too addicted to my Kindle. Of course, I could repurchase those books for Kindle, but I don't know, I feel weird about that. I have heard about a program that is supposed to allow you to get Kindle books discounted if you have the physical book, but I'm not sure if it's been implemented yet or not.

I probably enjoyed the last two books in the First Law trilogy the most. Love the characters for sure.