• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myths Inscribed - Issue no. 1 Discussion

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I didn't see a thread to discuss the stories in the new ezine.

I read Benjamin Clayborne's "Charming Predators." Good story. I loved the opening scene.

Benjamin seems to pick subject matter that I want to read. I loved the character and the story line. Nice twists and a good example of turning the Call to Adventure into a short story.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I agree that Benjamin's opening is strong. He's great at hooking the reader at the start.

I also enjoyed your story immensely, and am looking forward to part 2. :)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Black Dragon,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

The publication seems to be a class act all the way (with the obvious exception of somehow letting Sean slip a Bucs tribute through in his profile). Kudos to everyone who worked on putting it together.

I'm honored to be a part of the first issue and happy that I'll be listing it as my first ever publication.

Brian

Sparkie

Auror
Just finished Charming Predators. Classic Ben, if he doesn't mind me using the term.

When reading the perspective of a person of a fantasy race, I often have trouble relating to the character. Not this time. In this way, it reminds me of reading R. A. Salvatore's The Dark Elf Trilogy. Love him or hate him, Drizzt is a relatable character. I found Ariya to be similar in that way. I got her. (Great name for her, by the way.)

I also loved how Ben dealt with the idea of being raised a certain way, being fed the pronouncements of loved ones as if they were facts, then having to confront a new way of looking at things. He pulls it off quite well, especially considering the overall length of the story. Good job.

I'll be getting to the other stories soon. I'm excited to see what everyone thinks!

Sparkie

Auror
Wow. Ailith's Gift.

I really liked this story. Sad, tense, and powerful. A few of the descriptions felt a little heavy-handed for me, but that did little to quash my enjoyment. Good job, Chilari!

Sparkie

Auror
It took me awhile to get into The Diablarist by Anita Howitt, but once I got a few paragraphs in there was no turning back. Eerie. Reminded me of the movie called The Cell, only this was better.

Edit: Forgot this was a thread on Issue 1 of Myths Inscribed. The above story is in Issue 2.

Last edited:

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Yeah, she submitted it for one of the Iron Pen challenges. Once I read it, I knew it was perfect for the e-zine. Great read and well executed story.