• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I returned a book to Amazon for the first time

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I've encountered some dreadful books on Amazon. Even purchased some of them.

Today, for the first time, I returned one of them, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I should have been more careful about making a purchase. On the other hand, the author shouldn't have annoyed the crap out of me.

A couple of weeks ago, a sequel to a book I'd read popped up on my suggested list. I didn't remember the original all that well, but, overall, I had a generally favorable impression of it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the pre-order, figuring that, since I'd made it through the first book, I should be able to make it through the sequel.

I started it last night. Decent tension, and the character voice was probably what carried me through the first book. The author, however, italicized words for emphasis. A lot. As in every other paragraph had one.

By the end of the second chapter, my eyes were twitching. Every time I ran across one, it ripped me from the story. I put the book down. I simply could not read any more.

Was I right to return it?

Thanks.

Brian

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Of course you were. But do one better. Write a review. Doesn't matter how many stars, just say how you reacted and why. The author will, or should, appreciate it.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Of course you were. But do one better. Write a review. Doesn't matter how many stars, just say how you reacted and why. The author will, or should, appreciate it.

Is it a great idea to voice such a complaint in such a public forum?

EDIT: thought about it and took your advice. Made sure to compliment what I liked about what I read and be specific about how much the italics bugged me.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Let us know if you get any sort of reaction from it. IMO, once I publish, my work is public. I am thereby inviting public criticism as well as public praise.

acapes

Sage
I agree, you're totally in your right to return and I think skip.knox's idea is good too.

Most authors use that sort of feedback (I'd hope)