Read Reviews on Amazon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just a thread on epub price setting.

I see no reason why we can't use Mythic Scribes as an "imprint". We'd have to work on it of course, so it's not just an idea, but why not? There wouldn't be the problem of only one name associated with it.
    Supercritical - The Alchemy of Writing
    Posting is and will be sporadic for the near future. I'm focused on other
    more important things... like finishing a story and publishing it ;-)

I would agree with Michael, positioning is key. And don't sell your self short with pricing. 4.95 is still a bargain but it doesn't cheapen yourself either. 99 cents for a short story is a fair deal in my opinion, and 4.95 for a book is a great deal.

Marketing ones self and product are very important. And likely would take some time and investment on the part of the author, part in the free market society with free-lancers in every corner of every industry its perfectly obtainable. ConceptArt.org Version 3.0 has hundreds if not thousands of artists looking for free lance work, any number of them could put together a very professional cover for a moderate cost. There are free lance web designers abound that could put together a really professional looking site for the author, the list goes on and on.

Im not sure what purpose that would serve. Or what role Mythic Scribes would serve in the process.

I see no reason why we can't use Mythic Scribes as an "imprint". We'd have to work on it of course, so it's not just an idea, but why not? There wouldn't be the problem of only one name associated with it.
    Last edited by gerald.parson; 2-4-12 at 12:44 PM. Reason: quote didnt stick

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.parson View Post
    Im not sure what purpose that would serve. Or what role Mythic Scribes would serve in the process.
    Well, quite. But that's why the idea would need to be worked on.

Well, quite. But that's why the idea would need to be worked on.
    I wasn't putting down the idea, just curious if you had a model of how it would work. Sorry if it came off like that.

Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.parson
    Well as I said before, it would primarily get MS's name out there. Of course we would have to figure out a system that describes how one would be allowed to put that in their work. (we don't want everything going out there having our name on it before going through some scrutiny and careful selection)

Eventually and hopefully this would bring some prestige to MS, and in doing so, it also would help the authors out. It's difficult to explain. Kind of like a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" system. The authors would get MS's name out there, and, eventually, the MS logo would earn reputation enough to boost author sales.

That's about as best as I can put it right now.
    Life is a game; learn how to play, and you'll be fine. Except you only have one life, and there aren't any real cheat codes. - Me.

Well, offhand from what you said. I see no benefit of it to the author, except for maybe just a shout out or props being given to the site.
    Unless MS's offered a service or services such as ebook formatting, cover design, something. But then you are doing a form of quasi publishing. One of the whole points of self publishing is to avoid scrutiny and just getting your work out there.
    Just playing devils advocate because that's often how some ideas pull together.

Well, Michael Sullivan's posts in this thread - detailing his experiences with self-publishing and getting a professional look - should go some way towards understanding the benefits of such a proposed arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by JCFarnham View Post
    Well, Michael Sullivan's posts in this thread - detailing his experiences with self-publishing and getting a professional look - should go some way towards understanding the benefits of such a proposed arrangement.
    Not arguing self publishing, just wondering where or how you think a community forums would or could factor into it.
    I agree it would be a decent marketing tool for the forums and maybe that all it would be a simple marketing tool. But as you or someone else stated is you wouldn't want ( or likely not want) to put it on anything. My argument to that is now you have the condition that material has to meet a certain criteria in order to be "branded" or "market" the forums, in which case kind of counter balances the point of self publishing, well, in a lot of cases.

I am having just as many sales at 2.99 as I was at .99 for the electronic version of my book.

I have the paperback at 14.99 if people want the physical copy.

This arrangement has been most effective for me.
    http://www.legendofalm.com Please visit my website!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast