• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Page Publishing

Nothing at all about their fees or percentages on their site.

Some general rules?

1) If their contract takes exclusive rights without paying you an advance, run. The only case where this is OK is with a small press that is doing superb marketing in your genre.

2) If they are charging any up front fees at all and taking any percentage of the income on sales, run. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but in almost all cases a company which both charges fees for services AND takes a percentage of income is a scam. Publishers earn the right to a percentage of the sales by footing the bill for editing, formatting, covers, etc.

Iamfenian

Closed Account
Nothing at all about their fees or percentages on their site.

Some general rules?

1) If their contract takes exclusive rights without paying you an advance, run. The only case where this is OK is with a small press that is doing superb marketing in your genre.

2) If they are charging any up front fees at all and taking any percentage of the income on sales, run. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but in almost all cases a company which both charges fees for services AND takes a percentage of income is a scam. Publishers earn the right to a percentage of the sales by footing the bill for editing, formatting, covers, etc.

From the material they sent me it says they charge 20-25 cents per book depending on the price of the book. They claim to foot the bill for editting , formatting, etc. but it seems almost to good to be true!:D

Iamfenian

Closed Account
Not wanting to ever self publish a book I inquired about Page Publishing. I don't know what the catch is...perhaps it's 20-25 cents per book sold. Does this sound reasonable? This is a quote from their brochure.
Page Publishing is able to perform a complete list of services for our authors while requiring only a minimal investment since we collect a small administration fee from each book sale. This fee, which is only 20-25 cents per book sold leaves the vast majority of any profits to directly into your pocket![

What to expect: 1.Confidentiality agreement before manuscript submission 2. Publication coordinator 3. Editoral review 4.Pre-publication Full copy edit 5. Page design 6.ISBN and Barcode 7. Your printed book 8. Conversion to eBook formats 9.Distribution 10.Publicity 11.Book Reviews 12. Copyright registration

Last edited:
I think the big question then is "how much are they charging you up front for these services?"

I can pretty much guarantee that if they are keeping a quarter for each book sold, they're charging over a thousand up front.

From the material they sent me it says they charge 20-25 cents per book depending on the price of the book. They claim to foot the bill for editting , formatting, etc. but it seems almost to good to be true!:D

20-25 cents is the whole range? Whether the book is selling for $2.99 or $9.99? So anything from 12%-35%-ish, for the range I used?

Cover price or after the distributor takes their cut?

cyberjunkie

Page plus is a scam I know for a fact. I can not give to many details on a public forum without giving away who I am and creating problems for myself but I do have ties with this company and take my advice RUN the names you see are not real they are not real and have no experience in this industry and look at the address this is the same company pulling other scams. If you are seriously considering doing business with this company feel free to contact me privately and I will show you solid proof of what I am saying

Nihal

Vala
For future reference... Yes, what was posted above seems to be true. I've googled the thing, the second result was a thread of authors who didn't buy their story and contacted this company to investigate.

They were listed as regular published instead of vanity press, yet, to see her book published over a phone call one aspirant author was asked $5000 upfront as "author investment".

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a room with the 6289 number wouldn't be located on the 62th floor? Well... One Penn Plaza has 57 floors.

cyberjunkie

Well they are not running out of their own office they have another business they run out of the same building which is a scam as well. But I wont mention that one publicly but will on a PM. I do not want to give away my identity but I work for this company not page publishing but the other one they run.

senseiseth

Troubadour
Yeah, this thing looks like a money trap for authors who are really hellbent on getting their works in print. I have problem with an author paying a service if they're going into the self-publishing aspect of the business, but this one looks like you'll spend more than you earn.

I hate to say it, but you'd be better going with Amazon's service, or something to that extent.

DontheDon

Acolyte
Hey

They are on the 17th floor but not under page publishing

Hey I wanna know what's going in I have received a contract from them asking for 3155 but up front all I have to pay is 745. Now they say they won't take any money from my proceeds until I have made that 3155 back in sales. Now before I sign anything I want to know what you can tell me since you've been down this road before.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Signing a deal where you pay the publisher and then continue to pay them after publication until you hit that figure makes no sense whatsoever.

GeekDavid

Auror
Signing a deal where you pay the publisher and then continue to pay them after publication until you hit that figure makes no sense whatsoever.

Especially in the modern day with so many self-publishing options available. Not just Kindle, there's Kobo (though they've got a black eye from deleting tons of indy stuff), Smashwords, and many others on the e-book side, and CreateSpace (another Amazon venture) and a few other print-on-demand services as well that you don't have to pay to get going with.

Paying a publisher to get into print makes zero sense, now more than ever.

DontheDon

Acolyte
You know everyone is saying the same thing but know one is giving me any information on page publishing. I've looked at a lot of publishing companies. With any self publishing company I know I'm going to have to pay because they are doing all the work not me. As far as traditional publishing companies everyone Is saying they don't make you pay up front. They don't they give you and advance but they get there money back because you have to sign a contract and they get a percentage of your royalties never forget nothing is free. From what I have read self publishing is the way to go because you get more money back and I can make my own decision. Now unless someone can give me information on page publishing and not talking about vanity publishing I don't want to here it. I've had a contract from dorrance and black book and compared to their contracts page publishing contract seems more legit.

DontheDon

Acolyte
I'm not hell bent on getting my work published if it happens I'm greatful if not i still have a life to live. But in the end I know that I'm going to have to invest in my work whether I do it alone of get help from one of these companies. Either way money is spent. Personally I don't want to wait 3 months for a reply from a traditional company then 9 months of editing and how ever many more month before I see my products I'm trying to be hands on all the way.

GeekDavid

Auror
No, Don, you are not going to have to pay up front for "any" self publishing company.

You do not pay up front for Kindle Direct Publishing or CreateSpace.

You do not pay up front for Kobo.

You do not pay up front for Smashwords.

You do not pay up front for Lulu (print on demand publishing).

Have I made my point yet?

Any publisher that wants your money up front is a scam, period.

Nihal

Vala
Quoting myself for you, Don:

For future reference... Yes, what was posted above seems to be true. I've googled the thing, the second result was a thread of authors who didn't buy their story and contacted this company to investigate.

They were listed as regular published instead of vanity press, yet, to see her book published over a phone call one aspirant author was asked $5000 upfront as "author investment".

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a room with the 6289 number wouldn't be located on the 62th floor? Well... One Penn Plaza has 57 floors.

Plus

They are on the 17th floor but not under page publishing

I won't even talk about the pitfalls of vanity press, I'll just say that a company that lies about its address is not a trustworthy company. I wouldn't trust even $50 to a liar, trusting a +$1k figure sounds absurd to me. Here is their contact page, you can check the address.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The big expenses for publishing are the Editing and Cover Art. There's a handful of other minor expenses - formatting for ebooks, setting up an author's website, that sort of thing. I think one thread added up the costs for professional work and came to about $1,500.

Legitimate publishing houses provide these services themselves, and offer an advance, in exchange for a share of the royalties. They're taking a risk investing in you, that's what warrants a royalty.

Hypothetically somebody could offer these services for a fee and a payment plan, but if they're not taking a risk or making an investment, they don't deserve a royalty.

I can't imagine what you're supposed to be paying $3,000 plus a royalty for.

Last edited: