• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Medieval carnivals

SeverinR

Vala
Looking for information on Medieval traveling shows/minstrels/ gypsy caravans.

Anything a traveling show might do to entertain their audiences.

I have music, and types of instruments they might use.
1. lutes, hurdy gurdy, crumhorn, flute, pixie harp, nakers drums, tabor drum,
I have fire eaters/breathers/ spinners.
I have jugglers (including fire jugglers)
1. figuring on having the MC juggle flaming batons and throw a knife at a target, without messing up the juggling.
Sword swallowers,
dancing girls, (including belly)
acrobats and jokers.
people on stilts,
Snake handler,
strong men would show off with the acrobat and juggling women.

Planning on the finale' being a fire fest of spinners, breathers, fire jugglers, and dancers.

(This is for the WIP "jugglers, Jokers, jesters, and fools"

Am I missing any good acts? (probably won't write about everything at once, but will tell of different acts in different sections of the book.)

Last edited by a moderator:
For a minute there I thought we were going down a dangerous path (minstrel shows bring up a different thought in me entirely at knee jerk level). However, what about sleight of hand acts? People love those.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
There might also be fortune tellers and magicians [slight of hand and card tricks not fireballs].
I might also think there would be some form of "Snake Oil" sellers, be it holy relics [rescued from the unholy, in distant lands] or a cure for all that ails you [acquired at great expense, again from distant lands].

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Definitely actors--that's a long tradition going at least back to Moliere. In fact, the play was the thing, if I might coin a phrase, and the other stuff was lead-in and sideshow.

Not so much snakes, but bears. Bear baiting, bull baiting.

Wrestling matches.

This being fantasy, have you considered magic shows? I wonder how a magic show would play in a world in which magic was real. Hmmm.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Mistreated handicapped individuals being caged up for amusement.
The "Freak" show may be a real possibility.
The film Freaks [1932] is a terrible and wonderful film and well worth a watch [and it is available online].

This being fantasy, have you considered magic shows? I wonder how a magic show would play in a world in which magic was real. Hmmm.
Three Card Monty, Find the Lady, Shell Game [call it what you will] has been popular for a long time. There never seems to be a end to people that think the can beat the dealer.

Last edited:
The "Freak" show may be a real possibility.
The film Freaks [1932] is a terrible and wonderful film and well worth a watch [and it is available online].

Three Card Monty, Find the Lady, Shell Game [call it what you will] has been popular for a long time. There never seems to be a end to people that think the can beat the dealer.

Wait, you're saying I can't beat the dealer? What if I use Earth Bending?

Mindfire

Istar
For a minute there I thought we were going down a dangerous path (minstrel shows bring up a different thought in me entirely at knee jerk level).

Right? I read the title and was like "OH NO HE DIDN'T!" But then I read the actual post and it was fine. :D Although, I'm not sure whether "gypsy" is considered offensive or not.

Right? I read the title and was like "OH NO HE DIDN'T!" But then I read the actual post and it was fine. :D Although, I'm not sure whether "gypsy" is considered offensive or not.

I think that gypsy isn't offensive, unless you use offensive slurs like gypped or use it to refer to the Roma as thieves.

SeverinR

Vala
For a minute there I thought we were going down a dangerous path (minstrel shows bring up a different thought in me entirely at knee jerk level). However, what about sleight of hand acts? People love those.

Yea, didn't even know about the offensive nature of "modern" minstrel shows until I searched for the old style.

Someone wondered if Gypsy's was offensive. What else would you call a group of nomads that live on entertaining people(and thievery) Granted they are tied to certain societies, but I don't know that it would be offensive. If it is it was not written to be offensive.

I think some magic might still be entertaining, but less impressive if they live near people that do magic regularly.

SeverinR

Vala
Would Medieval Carnivals have been a better title?
I did specify medieval not modern. (No racism in my book, at least not overt. Probably Classism. Showing the noble how the little people survive while they enjoy their servants and castles.)

Would Medieval Carnivals have been a better title?
I did specify medieval not modern. (No racism in my book, at least not overt. Probably Classism. Showing the noble how the little people survive while they enjoy their servants and castles.)

Right, it doesn't show when you're just browsing the forum index page like I do so often. When I actually clicked on the link and read the whole title I let out a sigh of relief. Like I said, it was a first glance knee jerk reaction, after getting the whole context I didn't think about the bad minstrel shows. The title I think is fine.

Am I missing any good acts?

Sounds like you have most of them covered. But remember, your detail exists to support the narrative, not intrude on it, and some entertainers will be far more common than others (for example, musicians).

IIRC, The Time Traveller's Guide to Mediaeval England by Ian Mortimer covered some of the common entertainments:
The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century: Amazon.co.uk: Ian Mortimer: 9781845950996: Books

but I'm not sure if it can add much to your list

Reaver

Staff
Given that the forum index doesn't show everything, I felt it would be in the best interest of everyone if I changed the title.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
WRT what else to call gypsies, Travelers is one. Used in the British Isles. A little research could turn up other possibilities, I bet.