• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you address a priest?

Shreddies

Troubadour
Specifically from a Non-Christian religion.

I'm thinking of religions similar to the ones practiced in ancient Greece and Rome. Would you (as a writer) just use Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, etc. or is there another title that can be applied?

Is there any reference to what they were called in those cultures?

Your Holiness seems a bit too 'high-tier' for your run-of-the-mill priest.

Also, how would you refer to a tribe's shaman or religious leader if he was from a tribal culture instead of an organized religion?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Is this of use?
Wiki list of Religious ranks and names

As for Shamans, they are known and called by their name. It is just used with respect. They might be referred to as "Our/The shaman XyZ" or "XyZ, our/the shaman" to a third part.
The ones that I know are neo-shamans [not that they would call themselves that] and not from a traditional Tribal/Cultural background.
I met a Navajo Singer, and he told me to call him Joshua. Being a Singer was what he did not what he was called.

Peat

Sage
You read the Iliad, right in the first chapter they're talking about priests and augurs, and they're pretty much all referred to by their names.

Using Catholic terminologies but if you're considering "Your Holiness" ... clerical alternatives (for positions beneath the pope) would include "Your grace" and "Your eminence" or "Your excellency".

Reverend X or "Your reverence" might also apply.

Hi,

Well as I understand it you start with the collar which may be buttoned ... Oops, I thought you wrote undress!!!

Cheers, Greg.

Peat

Sage
The stamp goes on the upper right.

Note - the stamp does not go on the priest itself. Stamping on priests is discouraged.

A quick rustle through the Aeneid doesn't find any examples of priests being called anything other than priests. And while using equally shaky historical research, in the Falco novels priests are called "Sir" or by their real names. Mind you, I trust Lindsey Davis more than I trust John Dryden (for it is his translation I used).

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
If you'd like a word that is a bit different, try Prester. It's a version of presbyter, which is Greek for priest.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
How about brother/sister, kind of like monks/nuns? Except the priest is everyone's brother/sister. Optionally they're the brother/sister of their deity of choice.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Titles and forms of address the way that we know them are very much a European hierarchy thing.

As others have said, I would use their names, or priest, or the fantasy word that means priest of the type that they are. But also, think about some of the informal ways that we address somebody. "Okay, boss man." Something like that could easily catch on in a small and friendly neighborhood. "It's the god-brother. The man with the herbs. Our seance bro."

SeverinR

Vala
I never caught that one, even though I've seen the movie multiple times. A clear reference to Abbott and Costello. Mel Brooks = genius.
I missed it, like so much the first time. If you aren't laughing all the way through you probably missed something, you might have laughed to long and missed a coupe things.
The humor comes fast and furious at times.
"Eh Blinkin."
Did you call me Abe Lincoln?"

Shreddies

Troubadour
How about brother/sister, kind of like monks/nuns? Except the priest is everyone's brother/sister. Optionally they're the brother/sister of their deity of choice.

I was planning on something like that for another culture in the story. I mean, I can't really get away from 'Brother Hognot' and 'Brother Sermon', they're just too much fun.

KBA

Dreamer
In lists of famous shamans, many are simply called by the culture/region's term for shaman. Such as the name "Quam" described in Shaman Links: Quam — “The usual Turkish word for shaman.” A name meaning diviner. From: Animal and Shaman: Ancient Religions of Central Asia By Julian Baldick